Not open for further replies.
blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Toadly said:
I have shared my ways and you have stoned them down............That's ok.................I only came in here to share what has worked for me. I said to myself I would only do it once after this type of shit

I'll just take my BIG FAT head lying ass and go back to where I came from.......Bye Bye

Bye. :hello:

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Toadly said:
I have shared my ways and you have stoned them down............That's ok.................I only came in here to share what has worked for me. I said to myself I would only do it once after this type of shit

I'll just take my BIG FAT head lying ass and go back to where I came from.......Bye Bye
You had a great avatar Toadly, sorry to see you go.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dorkus Malorkus said:
There's only one person (aside from me) who's being egomaniacal in this thread.
I have to assume he is talking about me. :rolleyes: Thank you Dorkus, it's nice to be noticed. :)

Dorkus Malorkus said:
Congratulations, you're either (a) on a remarkable upswing, or (b) the world's biggest liar. I'll leave the readers to judge.
Okay, this is a sincere question and I'm asking this in the nicest way possible. Is it not possible to be (a) and not (b)? Not at all? While you didn't actually call him a liar outright, your blatant implication is that he is lying. I've heard of many people, pro and amateur, go on huge streaks both in wins and losses. Couldn't this fit in that category?

Dorkus Malorkus said:
You are making a novice's mistake here. Poker is not one session, then another session, then another session, it is one extremely long, continuous session.
Just like needing to think in perspective of long term and short term, the truth about poker sessions really just a combination of what the two of you are saying. There are shorter individual sessions that each player plays (I don't know anyone that plays 24x7x365). To view, review, and evaluate how you did in a particular session (especially if trying a new twist to your game), you need to look at that short term outcome to see how you want to tweak your play. However, that one session is not a long term indicator and can't be viewed as such. It is all of those shorter sessions that add up to your long term outcome.
Think of it kind of like NASCAR. The driver has one race to drive (long term, one continuous session). But he doesn't simply get on the track in the car as is and drive 500 miles to the end. He takes laps (shorter sessions), evaluates how things are going, stops, and makes changes. If he ignores either, the short session learnings or the long term goals, then he WILL lose the race.

Dorkus Malorkus said:
To end up in profit for one session, by doing something so utterly ridiculous as fold Aces preflop, you are losing money in the long run.
I am NOT going to even address this except to say check out the link that Dorkus provided in a previous post ...Here . Regardless of your opinion on the topic, the chain of threads is very rational by all involved over there and makes for some interesting reading. I've decided to write off the previous exchanges as difference of opinion, nothing more. Besides, best as I can tell, Dorkus is still likely pissed at me for not caving in.

Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks. Peace. :)

Last edited:
blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jack Daniels said:
I am NOT going to even address this except to say check out the link that Dorkus provided in a previous post ...Here . Regardless of your opinion on the topic, the chain of threads is very rational by all involved over there and makes for some interesting reading. I've decided to write off the previous exchanges as difference of opinion, nothing more. Besides, best as I can tell, Dorkus is still likely pissed at me for not caving in.

Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks. Peace. :)

That's all fine and good, but that link doesn't apply here. Toadly was talking about folding Aces pre-flop in a cash game, not any sort of tournament situation, which is what makes it so baffling. I'm sure you could find rare situations in tournaments where it's excusable to fold Aces pre-flop, but in a cash game? If you're folding Aces pre-flop in a cash game in ANY situation you're either a) stupid, b) playing well beyond your bankroll limits, or c) a combination of the two. Guess which one applies to Toadly!

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
combuboom said:
That's all fine and good, but that link doesn't apply here. Toadly was talking about folding Aces pre-flop in a cash game, not any sort of tournament situation, which is what makes it so baffling. I'm sure you could find rare situations in tournaments where it's excusable to fold Aces pre-flop, but in a cash game?
:eek: There you go, trying to stir things up again.:eek:

While this may have started with a cash game example, part way through it became general discussion on whether any situation exists in which AA could be folded PF. And just like any poker question, it is possible to craft a scenario in which anything you want to prove can be proven (remember - lies, damn lies, and statistics). That is where the link becomes applicable.

Besides, even if by some stretch of the imagination it wasn't applicable, it is still an interesting read (especially for a topic that is hotly contested on many forums).

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jack Daniels said:
Okay, this is a sincere question and I'm asking this in the nicest way possible. Is it not possible to be (a) and not (b)?
I'll answer sincerely and in the nicest way possible: I'm pretty sure that's the function of the "or" in Chris's statement; to imply that it's got to be (at least) one of them - not necessarily both. :)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm reneging on my earlier promise in this thread, but ehhh, I like to think we've moved on. :x

I have to assume he is talking about me.

I was talking about Toad guy actually. ;)

Okay, this is a sincere question and I'm asking this in the nicest way possible. Is it not possible to be (a) and not (b)? Not at all? While you didn't actually call him a liar outright, your blatant implication is that he is lying. I've heard of many people, pro and amateur, go on huge streaks both in wins and losses. Couldn't this fit in that category?

Ehh, you're reading too much into what I said. For once I wasn't being sarcastic or anything like that! Take what I said at face value, in other words in my opinion either (a) applies, (b) applies, or both apply to some extent. I'm not necessarily accusing anyone of lying, just stating that it's one of two distinct possibilities here. By saying "I'll leave the readers to judge", I meant exactly that.

Just like needing to think in perspective of long term and short term, the truth about poker sessions really just a combination of what the two of you are saying. There are shorter individual sessions that each player plays (I don't know anyone that plays 24x7x365). To view, review, and evaluate how you did in a particular session (especially if trying a new twist to your game), you need to look at that short term outcome to see how you want to tweak your play. However, that one session is not a long term indicator and can't be viewed as such. It is all of those shorter sessions that add up to your long term outcome.
Think of it kind of like NASCAR. The driver has one race to drive (long term, one continuous session). But he doesn't simply get on the track in the car as is and drive 500 miles to the end. He takes laps (shorter sessions), evaluates how things are going, stops, and makes changes. If he ignores either, the short session learnings or the long term goals, then he WILL lose the race.

You're right, but there is a distinct difference in how we analyse the short-term and the long-term. When we look at a hand, or a session, we are doing so in an effort to improve our long-term ability, and hence winrate. We cannot neglect the short-term in attempting to improve our long-term expectancies, but we have to analyse the short run with the long run in mind. If we didn't, we'd be thinking we'd played badly getting all our money in on the turn only to be rivered by a 1-outer.

Similarly, we can't fool ourselves into thinking we are playing "well" or "badly" just because of the results of a session. Toadly's post was placing too much importance on the results of these individual sessions, and placing too much importance on individual sessions which are subject to insane amounts of variance is not the way to get an accurate picture of things.

He referrred to "winning half of his sessions" somewhere, for example. This is meaningless. I could be 'winning half my sessions' and be a huge winner, or I could be 'winning half my sessions' and be a huge loser. Similarly I could be finishing up in two-thirds of my sessions, but I could only be breaking even in terms of profit.

To maximise the accuracy of our results, we look at the long run, which provides more accurate results subject to less variance. To combat short-term failings such as tilt (and thus improve our game in the long run), we review sessions and individual hands (the short run). Toadly's error (well, one of his errors) was that he was using results in the very short run for the wrong purpose, simply as a means of determining his ability and expectancy in the long run. This makes precious little sense.

I phrased that all really badly (I'm at work trying to look like I'm actually doing work), but nevermind. :/

Last edited:

40oztofreedom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
agree...somewhat

I know that a starting hand in hold em' is better the more your percentage of winning is, but I was figuring that AK is a better starting hand to have only because I've won more with it, and there are more outs to hit than AA. With AA you only got two other Aces and with AK you have 6 possible matches. With only 52 cards in a standard deck, hitting an A or K seems more probable than getting one of those other two Aces in a AA starting hand. AA is a good starting hand but it gives you a false sense that you will win the hand, and some people slow play it, and others get straights, flushes, and other hands that beat up on AA. When I've had AA in the past I've lost more times than when I have AK, why is that? Take care y'all, cya at the tables.

Bee

aa is just a pair and since it is the best pair out there some people seem to just slowplay it until they have been beaten but even when you think that you are beat u still call b/c you are in love with them, same with the ak people just fall in love with these two hands and call off on bets even if the betting action towards them indicates they are beat

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how the hell did you find this thread????
Its nearly 2 years old...............
I'm gonna find the one about the latest happenings in world war 2(current war)............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.