99 vs weird action on TTTx board; 25NL

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is something in the play of this hand, which if I ever figure out, I think might be significant. But like that word that just won't come, or the thought that won't clarify, what that something is , is still fog.
Keep your thoughts on this one fresh for a day or 2 Chuck, if you don't mind. I feel certain I need some piece of insight from this. Sort of like when I'm hungry and not sure what I'm hungry for and it turns out to be green beans.

Perhaps, the nugget I am seeking will have to do with reads more than anything else. Chuck gets a good read on Rex.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks something like 50% (+/- 5%) of the time a TTT99 boat will be the winning hand, with any small pair hanging to these bets which will lose, and the winners being the overpair, and the last T.

I think this is way out. I'd say Rex has Tx 80%+ of the time (already explained by a previous post of mins and Chuck's post with the bold bits in it), and even if we do win 20% of the time, on at least half of those occasions the other guy will have us beat. So I'd say it's more like 10% of the time our hand is good here.

Even against an unknown I don't think we're good 50% of the time, although it would obviously be closer.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I just realized that this thread has pointed out to me; I think the main reason I didn't put Irexes on 10x is because there are three on the table.

Perhaps in my simplistic, rule based way of playing I write off quads too easily simply because of the odds against it.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing I just realized that this thread has pointed out to me; I think the main reason I didn't put Irexes on 10x is because there are three on the table.

Perhaps in my simplistic, rule based way of playing I write off quads too easily simply because of the odds against it.

Errrr, Rex basically told the table he has a 10. The play dosnt make any degree of sense otherwise, calling down light looks like it wont happen. Would your line change if this was Ivey vs Brunson playing a 20K N/L game ?

Rex would your line change if you were playing a table full of strong aggressive players here ? Chuck, would your line change if Rex shoved instead of the odd cold-call ?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rex would your line change if you were playing a table full of strong aggressive players here ? Chuck, would your line change if Rex shoved instead of the odd cold-call ?

I've been trying to decide what the best play would be knowing the cards.

I'm sticking with the check-call on the flop rather than check-raise, though as said above I'd bet out here pretty often and would be more likely to do so the more solid and aggressive the table.

I think the call on the flop and check on the turn extracted a bet from Chuck that may not have come with a lead out bet as he wanted to know where I was.

Unfortunately I think at that point he's done with the hand if I stay in after the minreraise as I'm folding any hand that he beats. I'm playing with my cards face up whether I raise or call here. The other guy must have felt pot-committed or was plain weak. I've written off Chuck's stack and want the other guy's.

So once I checked the flop I think it played itself, a bet on the turn would have looked suspicious and risked shutting Chuck down. Perhaps the better $EV option was to open bet the flop.

(I've got to say, if we're going to analyse hands I'm in let's make it quads everytime, cause it makes me feel good :) )

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chuck, would your line change if Rex shoved instead of the odd cold-call ?

Give me a specific line, not sure exactly what you mean (just open shoved? or leading out instead of ch-c/ch-c?).

Had he led the flop, I'd have been much more in the dark. I think he would have made a lot more on the hand had he done so.

Lead the flop, I call, donkey calls behind me, rex leads turn, I raise or just call again, donkey is either shut out or calls behind with the FH, rex either reraises or smooth calls, river extracts even more chips...

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this. Been reading Phil Gordon's Little Green book and he advocates leading trips at least most of the time. It keeps your range big and builds a pot while you're ahead and protects draws.

I've been betting them very strongly lately and it has been really paying off. Of course there's occassions when everyone folds, but it all works out.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Errrr, Rex basically told the table he has a 10. The play dosnt make any degree of sense otherwise, calling down light looks like it wont happen. Would your line change if this was Ivey vs Brunson playing a 20K N/L game ?

Thanks tb.

After I posted I remembered HOH1 where he said something like "beware of a strong player check-calling as he's usually playing a monster". I didn't think of that because 1) I'm still learning, and 2) my usual competition isn't strong players at the $10NL level. Their usual line of thinking would be, "I've got something, let's stay in and see if it's good".

And Rex, I remember that from LGB as well. I've had mixed results at the levels I play. My table image is probably not as aggressive as yours or Phil Gordon's so leading out has resulted in a lot of folds. I suspect aggressive table image or competition that would fear check-calling or competition that is too wrapped up in their own cards would give me better results with that play.