88 on the CO turns Full House against BTN River Jam: Do we ever call this off?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds 10/20c
Hero $20 in cutoff with 8h 8d opens to 0.50c
Villain $20 on button 3bets to $1.70
Folds back to hero who calls
Flop 6h 7c 7h
Villain cbets $2.20, hero calls
Turn 7d
Villain bets $5.50 hero calls
River 4c
Villain jams remaining stack
I haven't seen too much of villain less than 50 hands but he's looked like a complete blaster although I hadn't seen him show down any hands but he's continued to fire in spots I'd normally expect him to slow down.
Preflop don't think there is much to discuss here clear call after being 3 bet
Flop I am ahead of some AK type hands KQs etc so again clear call
Turn this is where it starts to get dicey he's double barrelled and there's not many rivers I'm going to be happy about.
River complete brick and when he jams it's a very tough spot. Thoughts please do we pay this off at some frequency?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot, I think it’s very dependent on the villain. against your average player I think we can fold turn but as you’ve said against an aggro maniac I think we just have to wince and call down.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with Jarud , at 20NL it's probably just a fold unless it against a maniac. By the turn you've already indicated you have a pocket pair and he is still blasting river, suggests he has it or thinks you will fold a FH. So what happened?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually called down and he had QQ. He had been blasting and bullying people out of pots tripling off all the time. I talked myself into the old he can't have it every time I'm making a stand call 🙂. He had blasted in spots you'd expect him to slow down at some point. For instance on K 6 J board he's cbet and double barrelled a J turn and tripled off on river which I wouldn't expect to see with a ton of hands and he had done similar things in other hands.

Last edited:
L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
First at most important question in this situation was,
What was villain 3-bet range?
If you fight fire with fire against a aggressive maniac you will find yourself in a lot of high variance spots like this one.
By the turn it was obvious both of you had FH or better.
It all came down to who read the perceived range of his opp. better.
Remember, you 3-bet calling range must be at the top of your opp. 3-bet range,
not at the bottom.