$600 NLHE Full Ring: Live 2/5 - More spew to review? Or good bluff?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post pandemic live session number 13 and I'm running like god. Fairly new to the table and have not seen a flop yet so Hero may have nitty image. 7 handed tables with plexiglass and masks.

V is younger guy in the highjack and has been raising often pre flop but not winning often. I'd estimate his PFR at 30 but it's still the early in the session. He has about $600 and Hero covers. Noticed he also Cbets like 80%+ of the time, usually for 1/2 pot. V opens for $20 and it folds around to Hero.

Hero is in SB about $700 effective with 9d8d. Against a tighter or stronger player or with a strong player behind me I would just fold but here I thought we could defend some. We shouldn't really have a flatting range in the SB pre here right? 3B or fold right? But it's live and the player in the BB is tight passive and I don't have 98s in my 3B range. So we flat, first mistake or fine?

BB folds as expected. Heads up to the flop.

Flop (~$45): Kc 6s 5s
Small piece of equity here against a wide range. What is our play? x/c? x/r? x/f? Donk lead? I figured a x/r could look like a flush draw and get looked up too often building a large pot from OOP. I elect to x/c and continue on 9, 8, or spade turns with a x/r. V Cbets $25. Hero calls.

Turn ($95): Kc 6s 5s 8s
We turn second pair to go with our gutter ball and the front door flush comes in. We go along with our plan. V barrels for $45 and we raise to $150. Thought is that it will be very hard for V to continue without Kx or a big spade. We also have the best hand against a good portion of his range with one spade (AQ, AJ, AT, QJ,...). V tanks for a bit, seems to show genuine concern but then confidently pushes in the call. Narrowing Vs range now to mostly a big spade or Kx.

River ($395): Kc 6s 5s 8s Ac
We miss the straight, trips, or 2 pair but decide to continue telling the story that we flopped or turned 2 pair+. Hero leads for $300. Thought is to move V off of Kx. Kx should not like the Ace much unless it's exactly AK. Big spades missed unless it was the Ace of spade. And even the Ace of spade isn't loving life with just one pair and can find some folds against this line right? Decent bluff or punting stacks?

Thoughts on all streets welcome!

T

tokentalk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Flatting with 98s deep staked is fine from SB.

Flop call is fine.

Dont agree with the turn raise. Once you have 8 pair and gut-shot, it has some show down value. Then I don’t get the point of raising. What if he has the flush himself, then you are just burning money.

If he “confidently” called your check raise on turn, means he has a good king or flush. I am not sure if river bet will get a fold.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Pre: 3-betting this is fine imo, but I suspect live players will overcall vs 3-bets with hands they shouldn't. So if BB isn't coming along or squeezing too often then calling seems fine.

Flop- xc is fine if V will shut down on later streets.

Turn is interesting... �� Once he calls he has the Ace of spades a lot. He barrels the turn with Ax w/ ace of spaces along with his kings. So OTR you are trying to get him to fold KQ and KJ at 16 combos when he has AK and lower flushes that all call (not to mention possible sets). And we arent sure V is folding A(s) with a queen or jack kicker either.

So from that perspective a flop raise may have done more good, especially is V is cbetting so often.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling preflop is OK.

On the flop calling with an inside straight draw and the opportunity to bluff is shaky. The King is in Villain's range more than Hero's but the 6s 5s is in Hero's. hero needs to decide what he will do on the turn, before the card comes before he calls the flop.

IMHO, the reraise on the turn is overly ambitious. Wouldn't a straight or a flush just call? Looking to get more in on the river?

The river bet is simply playing Villain's hand, hoping he doesn't have the flush, straight, 3-of a kind, or two pair with kings or aces on top. I doubt Villain got to the river with less.

Personally I would have folded the flop, looking for better cards and position.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling preflop is OK.

On the flop calling with an inside straight draw and the opportunity to bluff is shaky. The King is in Villain's range more than Hero's but the 6s 5s is in Hero's. hero needs to decide what he will do on the turn, before the card comes before he calls the flop.

IMHO, the reraise on the turn is overly ambitious. Wouldn't a straight or a flush just call? Looking to get more in on the river?

The river bet is simply playing Villain's hand, hoping he doesn't have the flush, straight, 3-of a kind, or two pair with kings or aces on top. I doubt Villain got to the river with less.

Personally I would have folded the flop, looking for better cards and position.
If we are calling pre and playing this OOP I don't think we can fold this particular flop vs a V that is C-betting 80%+ and raising pre often. He's just not going to have a K or an over pair to our hand that often. If we are only continuing on pure flush draws, straight draws, or a pair or better and letting him scoop the other 60 ish percent of the time then why not just fold pre?

I agree that the raise on the turn was ambitious. I think two lines make sense here. x/c, x/c, x/f. Or x/r, b/f, x/f.

I had the right read this time. V folded river and showed the Ace of spade. Hard to say how strong his Ace was but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have much of a kicker. I tend to agree with lofa that flop raise makes more sense against someone who c-bets too often. I thought about that but kind of talked myself out of it and called. But raising flop then barreling when we improve on the turn and giving up on the river if he continues does seem better. I tried to have it both ways and got a fortunate laydown.

Organize a Home Poker Game