$600 NLHE 6-max: First 500NL Session, should we overbet turn to set up river jam?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I have no business playing 500NL with less than 10 buy ins, I guess I was trying to bust my roll. At any rate this was the largest pot of the 80 hand suicide mission and I think it could have been larger as the game was playing very big and aggressive. Specifically, I wonder if betting 1.4x pot (or about 25 BB instead of 17 BB) on the turn and then jamming river would have been better. Or am I just being greedy and results oriented?

Thoughts on all streets welcome. I felt like this flop with flush and straight draws and many two pair combos and combo draws available should be played very fast with aggressive sizing given the game dynamics before any action killing cards appear.

PokerStars - $5 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 251.09 BB - VP 58 / PR 42 / 3B 0 / AF 1 (26 Hands)
SB: 543.93 BB
BB: 65.07 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 105 BB
Hero (CO): 107.95 BB - VP 18 / PR 16 / 3B 6 / AF 11
(80 hand sample, not sure what the smaller portion of this sample like to Villain as I only had 15 hands at this table and probably 11 hands or so at another table I assume, but I was definitely playing nitty pre)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K A

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (8 BB, 3 players) Q T J
BB checks, Hero bets 5 BB, BTN calls 5 BB, fold

Turn: (18 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero bets 17 BB, BTN calls 17 BB

River: (52 BB, 2 players) 5
Hero bets 51 BB, BTN calls 51 BB

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this hand you have flopped a main straight. Generally this is a scenario very similar to a mono color board, where we want to keep all the bluffs in the range of the villain. But since we're playing at a high level, if we check the turn (after a small flop bet), we can keep Villain the range of bluff catcher intact. The reason for this line is that our blocker Kh reduces the flush draw combinations in range V. So on the river, we can shoot really hard with all our draws lost. You can get value from a set, 9, or a discounted K-9.
As played you can also try a big overbet on the river. 5d really looks like a brick but in high stakes it is not, because now our range of bluffs increases, given the draws combos of diamonds that appear on the board. Think that some more combos in V are unlocked such as Qd-Kd; Td-9d; Jd-Td; 9h-9d; Qd-9d; 9d-7d.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In hindsight, we can see that villain ended up putting in 76 BBs on the hand. Would he have called off the additional 32 BBs?

*Probably*...but who knows. Still a nice payoff, and man I wish I ran like you when taking shots...

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In hindsight, we can see that villain ended up putting in 76 BBs on the hand. Would he have called off the additional 32 BBs?

*Probably*...but who knows. Still a nice payoff, and man I wish I ran like you when taking shots...
LOL, tell me about it. It's dangerous though. Makes me want to go back for more. At 100NL, 200NL, and 500NL I started off on absolute sun run heaters before my win rate plummeted back to earth. I'm just happy to stay in the green while flirting with risk of ruin.

As for the hand I just felt like the turn was a great spot for an overbet. I don't overbet turn nearly enough and I'm sure I'll be unbalanced and exploitable as I work this into my game but it seemed like this should be one of the best spots to have this sizing for value. Blocking the Kh isn't ideal but getting value from sets, sticky two pair, combo flush and combo straight draws seems like what we want to be doing.

B

beginnerbot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should overbet turn and jam river. You have a clear nut advantage in terms of AK and K9s. You can also easily have Axs bluff and you put 9x hands in a really tough spot.