$50NL Hows my line with AK here?

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a couple of hands I have extraced from my session tonite. Any comments, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.

Hand 1 - Villain is 31/4/1.7 over 180 hands. How is my line on the turn? Is the value bet size on the river ok?

poker stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (News, Updates, Information - LegoPoker - Free Tools for Online Poker Players Hand History Converter - LegoPoker - Free Tools for Online Poker Players)

SB: $13.50
BB: $52.05
Hero (UTG): $144.60
MP: $41.65
CO: $57.70
BTN: $36.55

Preflop: Hero is dealt Ks Ah (6 Players)
Hero raises to $1.75, MP calls $1.75, 4 folds

Flop: ($4.25) Qh 4h 6h (2 Players)
Hero bets $3.00, MP calls $3.00

Turn: ($10.25) Qd (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP bets $6.00, Hero calls $6.00

River: ($22.25) 9h (2 Players)
Hero bets $15.00, MP calls $15.00

Pot Size: $52.25 ($2.55 Rake) Results in blue

MP had Kd Kh and LOST (-$25.75)
Hero had Ks Ah (a flush, Ace high) and WON (+$23.95)

Hand 2 - Villain is 40/20 over 10 hands. I'm really lost on this flop when he calls my 4 - bet. Whats your line on the flop here?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (News, Updates, Information - LegoPoker - Free Tools for Online Poker Players Hand History Converter - LegoPoker - Free Tools for Online Poker Players)

SB: $29.20
BB: $31.55
UTG: $40.15
MP: $48.50
CO: $55.10
Hero (BTN): $46.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt Kh Ad (6 Players)
3 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB raises to $5.00, BB folds, Hero raises to $11.50, SB calls $6.50

Flop: ($23.50) 8d 3s Qd (2 Players)

SB checks, BTN ?

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand I like the value bet on the end. Only two hands he could really have that will beat you are 44 and 66 (think he would have reraised QQ preflop and he won't be calling with 99 without a heart on that flop). If he flopped a set on that scary board he probably would have played them way faster.

I'm not sure about the second hand. Since you showed a lot of strength preflop and the board probably didn't help him a lot you could make a c-bet that would make him lay down JJ, 10-10 or AK. I think the bet doesn't need to be large, since if you bet around 10, it'll look like you're pulling his smallish stack in and thereby representing huge strength (KK or AA). *But again, I might be totally wrong about this hand :D

T

tufat23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hand 1 is fine. fire almost all turn cards, but the Q is a bad turn card.

hand2, i like a 4-bet to $12.5 but thats probably nit picking. as played now bet $17 and fold to shove

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hand 1 is fine. fire almost all turn cards, but the Q is a bad turn card.

hand2, i like a 4-bet to $12.5 but thats probably nit picking. as played now bet $17 and fold to shove

Fold to a $2 shove :eek: :D

T

tufat23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my bad, didnt see he was short. shove and pray

dbitel

dbitel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jagsti,

in the 2nd hand, I would 4bet shove preflop given his stack size

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are we shoving there daniel?

dbitel

dbitel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
joos,

a mix of both value and fold equity. ie, he might well foldlow PPs, but also might call with AQ and teh like. And I don't see the value to a pot sized 4bet vs a half stack given that if he calls, the flop is going to be awkward and I think a pot sized 4bet has less FEQ vs low pairs

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
got you. so less of the time we are getting better hands to fold on a flop when so much is being committed preflop? and also for value vs looser more maniacal players?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
joos,

a mix of both value and fold equity. ie, he might well foldlow PPs, but also might call with AQ and teh like. And I don't see the value to a pot sized 4bet vs a half stack given that if he calls, the flop is going to be awkward and I think a pot sized 4bet has less FEQ vs low pairs

I understand your reasoning, I'm just not sure though that at $50 MAX this works. I'm not trying to contaddict you (you're obviously much better than me) and I get the value/FE you're explaining, but in my experience 3bets in that level are very often monsters, unless you know the 3better is LAG. Most times small/medium pockets and hands like AQ will just call OOP and not 3bet, for what I've seen. I think your line applies mostly at $100 MAX and above where 3 bets are more common and with a wider range. That said, I don't think the pot sized 4bet vs a half stack is a good move.

At $50 MAX I kind of freeze when I get 3bet at. It happens but in general in my experience I don't see it very often when its not a monster except from some players.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think light 3betting is even a standard-ish move til a bit above 100nlhe for most.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think light 3betting is even a standard-ish move til a bit above 100nlhe for most.

Yep, that's what I'm trying to say.

I think Mr Bitel plays higher limits just about 100% of the time, which is why I made that post. The frequency of 3bets is actually the biggest difference tenbob said he notices at $100 MAX, and I imagine it getting even more frequent at levels above that. But at $50 MAX, in absence of reads, I've painfully learned to be careful when I get 3bet at (I love doing them though).

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually prefer DB's line to my own here. After making the 4-bet I wish I had shoved the 4-bet pf b/c hate it when you hit a blank flop with AK. My thinking now is that he has checked, he has $18-19 left and I have 4-bet pf..... sorry guys I know this is spew but i'm pushing here. I push and he calls and turns over KQ! SO if I take DB's line pf and push the 4-bet do we think he folds KQ? I think he probably does. Anyways once again I luckbox here and hit runner runner for the flush.

dbitel

dbitel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guys,

villain is a 40/20. He's not 3betting light because he's read it on forums, he's 3betting 22 because "I HAS A PAIR" and he's 3betting AQ/KQ (as we can see) because "I HAS 2 HIGH CARDS".

I've been at 25nl and 50nl a bit recenetly for vids and helping out students, and 3bets there are a lot lighter than ppl think

T

Threads13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it also worth noting that once he 3-bets you that you need to make a stack decision. Since you are ahead of his range and he will call with some worse hands I believe it is time to commit. I like the reraise AI.

P

-PotCommited88-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hand 1: i like the way you played this, not getting too much money in the pot with nothing. I would be just as confused after he called you value bet on the flop. However, it would be very easy to see how he would call a raise with KQ AQ or QJ.

hand 2: is this player very aggressive/loose? if not, i would say he is on a medium pocket pair to high pocket pair. i check here, and get to see a turn, but be very wary of a check/raise from the sb. i think he slow rollling a monster most likely, but could have 10s, or 9s and is scared by the Q. However, i hate the all in move because with anything like this you would be beaten.