50nl; AA for top set

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We've been pretty active at this table, having shown down a few strong hands, taken down a few pots without showing, and also showing down one bluff which hit my backdoor straight which in turn lost to a backdoor flush.

Villain is a pretty big fish at 47/11/3.5.

Our line?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

UTG ($21)
Hero ($49)
MP1 ($18.65)
MP2 ($8.75)
MP3 ($38.85)
CO ($85.50)
Button ($54.15)
SB ($44.50)
BB ($36.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A
spade.gif
, A
heart.gif
1 fold, Hero raises to $1.75, 2 folds, MP3 calls $1.75, 4 folds.

Flop: ($4.25) 7
heart.gif
, A
club.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero ...

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3.5 is pretty aggressive. I'd lead for $3. If raised I'd probably smooth call and look to CRAI on turn.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd check/call because we have villain crushed and we want to let him catch up and make a strong second best hand. Chances are slim villain has an ace, so hopefully he has a set in which case stacking him will be easy whether you start building the pot now or on the turn. If he has 88-JJ we can give him a chance to hang himself. The board is very dry so there isn't much danger in letting a cheapish card come off.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea of checking then calling but when I do that I never know what to do on the turn. In this position whenever I bet out on the turn they fold, if I check, they check. I'm interested to see what other people do in these situations.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea of checking then calling but when I do that I never know what to do on the turn. In this position whenever I bet out on the turn they fold, if I check, they check. I'm interested to see what other people do in these situations.

Well that all depends on the type of player you're up against and his tendencies, and of course how you've been playing. If you're in this pot with a calling station, you can probably bet this right down to the river and expect to get called by 99-type hands. If you're up against a lag, then you might bet-call/ch-r, or maybe ch-c/ch-r or whatever.

Also, if you've been c-betting every flop you've raised PF, then he'll definitely notice you check this one.

These have got to be the most fun spots for me obviously because we're nearly guaranteed the pot but we have to figure out how to take the ideal line to get some chips in.

fwiw I agree with Schatz that this is pretty much the ideal flop to slowplay on, but I don't hate a bet-call type line either. The thing is that in order to bet this and expect a call or raise, we'd be banking on him either having the case ace or a small set, or he'd have to make a very ballsy play with 99/KQ etc.

The board's virtually drawless; if we check villain might try to bluff the turn with absolutely nothing, plus we give him the chance to catch up enough to pay us off. The only downside I can think of is giving a set their chance at filling up their one-outer (lol), and the fact that we may not get a stack vs a flopped set by the river, especially if it gets drawy.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

UTG ($21)
Hero ($49)
MP1 ($18.65)
MP2 ($8.75)
MP3 ($38.85)
CO ($85.50)
Button ($54.15)
SB ($44.50)
BB ($36.85)

spade.gif
, A
heart.gif

heart.gif
, A
club.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($4.25) 5
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $3, MP3 raises to $7, Hero ...

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i say bump it up, 2.5 on his raise

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove, and bet the flop against a 47/11

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still prefer my original line, but as played you must shove here.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're WA here. If your opponent has Ax and matched on the board then you are golden. Call the bet and wait for the river to hang him.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is he a good player? if he is he would have seen you check on flop as a sign of clear strength. I assume he isnt good thoguh since the only hand that beats you at the moment is 3,4 and i doubt he has that

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are the PT stats over a large sample? If not, slow play is fine but otherwise I prefer to get it in good.The pot if you call is going to be about 40% of a buy-in. That's a big pot that needs to be taken down imo.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is he a good player? if he is he would have seen you check on flop as a sign of clear strength. I assume he isnt good thoguh since the only hand that beats you at the moment is 3,4 and i doubt he has that

I think 34s is possible though not hugely likely,, but uber-aggro would a lot of the time bet any draw on the flop, even a gutshot. In any case if this if true it's a cooler and you have outs on the river so I think we can pretty much ignore it, and given the drawyness fo the board now I think you do have to shove. It's always possible of course that he's in here with absolutely nothing and just figures you for weakness with check on the flop figuring the 5 can't have helped you. Shove does eliminate follow thru bluffs though :(... though one but given his stats I've changed my mind :eek: I just call and check to more aggr. on river, jst call if a diamond (or possibly straightening card) comes off and shove else.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 34s is possible though not hugely likely,, but uber-aggro would a lot of the time bet any draw on the flop, even a gutshot. In any case if this if true it's a cooler and you have outs on the river so I think we can pretty much ignore it, and given the drawyness fo the board now I think you do have to shove. It's always possible of course that he's in here with absolutely nothing and just figures you for weakness with check on the flop figuring the 5 can't have helped you. Shove does eliminate follow thru bluffs though :(... though one but given his stats I've changed my mind :eek: I just call and check to more aggr. on river, jst call if a diamond (or possibly straightening card) comes off and shove else.

I think this is the best solution summed up beautifully

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

UTG ($21)
Hero ($49)
MP1 ($18.65)
MP2 ($8.75)
MP3 ($38.85)
CO ($85.50)
Button ($54.15)
SB ($44.50)
BB ($36.85)

spade.gif
, A
heart.gif

heart.gif
, A
club.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($4.25) 5
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $3, MP3 raises to $7, Hero calls $4.

River: ($18.25) T
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets $10, Hero raises to $32, MP3 calls $20.10 (All-In).

Final Pot: $78.46

Results:
Hero has As Ah (three of a kind, aces).
MP3 has 7s 7d (three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $80.34.

The money was going in regardless here but I think by taking this line we get the most out of the bluffs...I'm sure I'd hate the line a lot more had a 3d dropped on the river instead...

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Crap I completely wasn't thinking - a check on the flop with this ridiculous aggro almost always means strength. I/We probably should have spotted that.. Obviously wouldn't have made a difference here but still. Anyhoo I like this line regardless, especially when that lovely black ten pops off :)

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm set over set, cant say i saw that coming. Good effort anyway chuck, took down a nice pot. Although it was a bit poor of us to not recognise his check in position on flop

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think shoving to villain only gets action from v strong hands (sets etc) whereas c/c -type lines win more on average from when villain thinks you're weak and tends to put more money in trying to get you off whatever he thinks you have