50NL 6max (deep), AQ high card on the flop

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is a Maniac, 80/26/3, I've tangled with him in the past few hands, he's pegged me as tight in the chatbox. He cold-called raises almost everytime with hands like 75s, K9o.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $23.55
UTG+1: $106.45
CO: $107.80
Button: $51.35
Hero: $115.45
BB: $175.74

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with Q♥ A♦
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $2, 2 folds, Hero raises to $6.25, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 9♦ 10♦ J♥ ($13, 2 players)
Hero bets $6, UTG+1 raises to $12, Hero raises all-in $109.2 << Good move? or Spewy?

I have a back-door flush draw(not that fantastic), OESD. His min-raise appears to be telling me that he's on a draw, or on a donk hand like KJ. It's very possible that he's got two pairs, but I haven't got out of line much, decided to semi-bluff, reraise all-in.

Last edited:
Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the re-raise is too large, m8. I don`t mind the move, but the size of the bet tells villain you don`t want a call. $30-$40 might scare him more.

dbitel

dbitel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TY for converting your hand :)

I think that this is the wrong type of opponent to try this against. Even if he has a weak hand like KJ etc...he's calling the shove with it way to often.

Just call the minraise and see what hits

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he has a read on you as a TAG player and he knows the common strategies TAG players use, he'll look at the push as suspicious.
As a TAG player your range of starting hands will rarely hit this type of flop.
You have to ask yourself, If you were villian, with relation to the size of your bet, what would you put yourself on?

The push was a wrong move IMO.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think you can raise a random amount here. If youre gonna raise, i think shoving is best.

And i dont think shoving is suspicious on that board. Even a set or AA could shove here with so many draws out there.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why shove 200 BB's against a maniac on a draw?

As was pointed out, this might be the type of player that calls with a hand like KJ or QJ and we're behind, with 8 outs (31.5%) to improve. I'm not too sure that the minreraise means he's on a draw, it could be, but it could also be interpreted that he wants to be called. Regardless of what happened (he folded or he called and you completed your draw) I don't like it.

Even if this isn't a tourney, IMO the "wait for a better spot vs this villain" applies here, for the simple reason that if you lose your whole stack you can only reload $50, where instead you now have $100 and so does villain. Losing an all-in now might cost you even more later if a favorable situation of playing for stacks comes up in an orbit or 2, turning this play into an even more negative EV.

I realize that one has to play this hand for now and you can't worry about future hands but if this villain really is capable of calling here with a hand like KJ or QJ or anything that is far much less than the nuts on such a coordinated board then it becomes even more wrong and the "wait for another spot" to shove 200 BB's really makes even more sense.

That's how I see it.

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TY for converting your hand :)

I think that this is the wrong type of opponent to try this against. Even if he has a weak hand like KJ etc...he's calling the shove with it way to often.

Just call the minraise and see what hits

I always try and convert my hand. :D most of the forummers love the default HHF though. lol.

I guess I messed up a little on this hand, I'm still not good at playing deep stack. I guess if we're on 100bbs, this would be a better move. Still, let me defend my play guys.

The reasons why I made this move.

1. He's a aggressive donk who folds if you push back.
2. He'll almost call and raise on later expensive street with a monster, so, he can't be on 99, TT, JJ or KQ. His min-raise looks more like a question: "Do you have a monster?"
3. It's a coordinated board, shoving looks more like AA, KK, protecting against a draw.

That was how I looked at it. Maybe I made a bad play while playing this deep.

joeeagles said:
As was pointed out, this might be the type of player that calls with a hand like KJ or QJ and we're behind, with 8 outs (31.5%) to improve. I'm not too sure that the minreraise means he's on a draw, it could be, but it could also be interpreted that he wants to be called. Regardless of what happened (he folded or he called and you completed your draw) I don't like it.

True, we're behind, but we do have more than 8 outs. 3 aces, 4 kings, 4 eights. I discounted the queens, bacause if he's on KJ, a Q is not gonna help us. that gives us about 38% chance to win by the river?

By reraising all-in, we can fold out hands like AJ, KJ, QJ... It made sense at the time I was on the hand.

I guess it's a -EV play. Ahh well... I'll do better next time.

shinedown.45 said:
If he has a read on you as a TAG player and he knows the common strategies TAG players use, he'll look at the push as suspicious.
As a TAG player your range of starting hands will rarely hit this type of flop.
You have to ask yourself, If you were villian, with relation to the size of your bet, what would you put yourself on?

The push was a wrong move IMO.

I was trying to rep AA, KK protecting against a draw. :p I felt I had a strong read on him, there's no way he can call a 200bb shove with TPGK, even if he knows I'm on a bluff. That's how I felt at that time.