$500 NL HE Heads-Up: Is this bluff correct?

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$2/$5
Table Format
Heads-up (2 seats)
Currency
$
The stakes are higher, so I don't know if there are more stuff going on the players' analysis that I know of, but this bluff on 4 to a flush seems unintuitive. And this is why I play 2nl and they play 500z HU like it is pennies.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The stakes are higher, so I don't know if there are more stuff going on the players' analysis that I know of, but this bluff on 4 to a flush seems unintuitive. And this is why I play 2nl and they play 500z HU like it is pennies.

Seems reasonable to me. What worse hands is he going to bluff and as the 3 better he has all the best flushes available

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

A fact that someone is playing NLHE 500 doesn’t mean the players is a professional. There are plenty of millionaires who just want to show their friends they are playing high stakes and doing fancy moves.
It all starts with a polarized 3-bet. I’m afraid there is no need for it, specially when it’s a heads-up match.
Second, after “sensadir” polarized preflop, it continues to polarize postflop having no diamond in its range. It also polarized on the turn, and the river bet wouldn’t achieve many folds as well, if it wanted to bluff it could’ve bet more.
“sensadir” elects to bluff a busted straight draw betting thinner on the river on a complicated board having 4 diamonds: it simply have given plenty of odds for the player in position to call with a wider range, even ace high.
I never played this limit, but I don’t think it’s optimal to bet so little on the river. If “sensadir” desired more fold equity, for its bluff to pass it should have bet much more.

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems reasonable to me. What worse hands is he going to bluff and as the 3 better he has all the best flushes available
Yes, that is what I thought, but still I don't know If I would have found this bluff. Bit scary to bluff with non diamonds here, for me always. But at the same time, if you don't bluff without diamonds, what bluffs do you even have here and so on.

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A fact that someone is playing NLHE 500 doesn’t mean the players is a professional. There are plenty of millionaires who just want to show their friends they are playing high stakes and doing fancy moves.
It all starts with a polarized 3-bet. I’m afraid there is no need for it, specially when it’s a heads-up match.
Second, after “sensadir” polarized preflop, it continues to polarize postflop having no diamond in its range. It also polarized on the turn, and the river bet wouldn’t achieve many folds as well, if it wanted to bluff it could’ve bet more.
“sensadir” elects to bluff a busted straight draw betting thinner on the river on a complicated board having 4 diamonds: it simply have given plenty of odds for the player in position to call with a wider range, even ace high.
I never played this limit, but I don’t think it’s optimal to bet so little on the river. If “sensadir” desired more fold equity, for its bluff to pass it should have bet much more.
That is very true, but in this stake specifically, in the heads up zoom tables, there aren't any recreationals as far as I know. But still, you can see one from time to time, although they play higher, and I think they have migrated to GG poker these days.
As far as the river bet, I would not make it either, but I think the idea behind it is that he wants to fold hands that don't have a diamond in them, trying to make them believe that he has a medium diamond that he wants to get thin value with.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

for the sizing 1/3 pot risked and if the potential fold equity against your total range is higher than 1/3 of your hands

if so ,then I like the 4 card flush bluff sizing

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for the sizing 1/3 pot risked and if the potential fold equity against your total range is higher than 1/3 of your hands

if so ,then I like the 4 card flush bluff sizing
Yes, I believe if BU folds all of his non diamond hands, or the vast majority of them, this bluff makes sense