$500 NL HE 6-max: BB calls with J2o, hits trips, calls the river. Is UTG value betting or turning his hand into a bluff on the river?

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$2/$5
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I was playing NLHE 100 I would never call preflop with such combos as J2, J3, J4, auch! And if I did it, these combos would be suited.
We can’t learn too much of these limits, since most of forum users are playing NLHE 50 or less.
So one good piece of advice: don’t try to do it at lower limits, never at the micro stakes because the rake structure is completely different.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yeah, it turns out that at such limits there are players, who call J2o on the BB against UTG.:)

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was playing NLHE 100 I would never call preflop with such combos as J2, J3, J4, auch! And if I did it, these combos would be suited.
We can’t learn too much of these limits, since most of forum users are playing NLHE 50 or less.
So one good piece of advice: don’t try to do it at lower limits, never at the micro stakes because the rake structure is completely different.
I agree with the last sentence. But I disagree with the statement that we can't learn too much of these limits. The best way to learn is to see what the best players are doing and study it, while trying to understand why they are doing it in the first place. And when you have a solver, you can take the hand and run the sim and see what your whole range is doing on each street and your specific hand, especially in this hand, on the river, it is very interesting what the UTG did. Yes BB called with J2o, but still, trying to understand the why I believe is very helpful, whatever stake you play, especially when you play lower stakes, because when you play lower stakes you want to move up(at least the majority of the players). That was my intention when I created this channel, upload hands from 200z and up so that people can get ideas for their studying, whether they use a solver or not.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Dont thin J2o is koscher pre.

Anyway, subbed to your channel! Thanks for the uploads.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty sure UTG was raising the river for value, since A8 is way to strong to turn into a bluff. Can be argued, that the raise is a little thin given the paired board. But its difficult to put someone on a 2, so mostly just one of those annoying spots, where we catch up while behind.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pretty sure UTG was raising the river for value, since A8 is way to strong to turn into a bluff. Can be argued, that the raise is a little thin given the paired board. But its difficult to put someone on a 2, so mostly just one of those annoying spots, where we catch up while behind.
UTG is bluffing its missed flush draws on the river in a dry context/texture. It would be better to raise flop, but UTG had too much equity/implied odds and decided just to call a fair sizing bet OTF.

If I was UTG I would not have raised river simply called, because Top Two Pair is a very strong value hand and which bluffs exist in BB’s range when IP raises the river? And which bluffs in UTG’s range?

If we do own A8 and the nut of hearts missed, we have most combos for this board. What hands would call OTF and raise river like this? Does UTG expected to get calls of A3, A4, A6, etc? I think that UTG raising there turns a value hand into a bluff, but hey: thinking this hand as played at lower limits, not a very sophisticated GTO that they use to play at NLHE 500.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG is bluffing its missed flush draws on the river in a dry context/texture.
UTG has top two pair and beat hands like A5, AQ, AJ, AT, A9 etc., which might bet turn and river for value, after flop got checked through.

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe also that he is going for thin value with Ax two pair because villain can have worse Ax to call the river. And I believe in lower stakes as well, anyone would at least think going for thin value with two pair Ax. Some people might not because of their tendencies, but surely others, even in micros, would go for thin value. All in all, I believe it is a very interesting hand.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands