$500 Max 2/5 NL – Overpair to board OOP

R

red_dawn_28

Total posts
$500 Max 2/5 NL cash game at the Taj in AC

Hero Cutoff $400
Villain Button $600

Hero (9s, 9c)

3 callers. I raise to $25. Villain (who was pretty loose) doesn’t look like he wants to call but does anyway and 2 other limpers call and we see the flop 4 handed.

Flop: 3, 5, 7

2 limpers check to me and I bet $40, Villain min raises to $80, limpers fold back to me and I call for $40 more. I decide that it is very possible he flopped 2 pair and I will check on the turn to see if he keeps betting. The flop could have easily hit his range of 3,5 5,7 or even 4,6. I realize this is a relatively weak play but I just couldn’t see him continue to bet after the flop if he had nothing even if I check to him. My bet/call must have convinced him that I had something.

Turn: 2

I check and he bets $55. Hero ????

I will be able to tell everyone what he had.

Red Dawn

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Total posts
He called preflop raise with 3,5 5,7, 4,6 , he is that loose? I think he has the 7, like a K,7 or Q,7 and hoping you have AK, AQ that didn't hit. I would call and bet on the river.

R

red_dawn_28

Total posts
he had 76. he put me on high cards and didn't think i could beat the board. so bacon had a good read. however, his betting sequence certainly sold me and chuckts that he had 2 pair. even the dealer thought he had 2 pair. anyway i folded and he showed me.

it goes to show that if you can represent a hand it can be effective. if i were him i would have slowed down on the turn and ended up losing.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Total posts
Firstly, your pf raise is WAY too small, especially if the table is as loose as it's made out to be. I you're gonna raise make it like $40 here.

Secondly, I wouldn't describe vil as "pretty loose". If he's calling a big raise pf with 76 like this I imagine he's playing every hand.

Thirdly, your bet on the flop has to be much bigger so you can fold out 3 people's overcards.

Fourthly, vil was giving you 5 to 1 on a call on the turn and let's not forget that he can have pretty much any hand (a range that you're better that 3 to 1 against) and you fold? This seems like an example of reads > common poker sense.