liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I don't like your turn bet and your river bet. Villain might have all small sets there and flush got on the river. Are you trying to set yourself up for a river jam?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just my unbiased opinion. Perhaps they are factors that are less important or that were not considered by the villain in the way that I will expose here.
The first point is about opener's stack. It is not 100 bb. Obviously this is too superficial, since a strategy with a smaller stack could be applied to appear certain weakness or show indifference with the game-stack relationship, and that this does not imply even a slight alteration in the way the hand is played. In addition, the villain does not have 100 bb although he is closer so this point could go completely unnoticed.
The second thing is the size of the opening. Maybe it's not too important either. But it seems that the opening is borderline when we are less than 100 bb. It gives the impression that we want to remove a villain who tends to pay a lot with trash hands from late positions.
Then on the flop we are betting cbet, we look for a neutral proportion (close to half a pot) and the villain calls with his full range. If we take the former into account, the texture also hits V because he can continue with all his draws. It is intuited that he still retains fold equity in the next streets.
On the turn the second barrel is proportionally equal to the first. With this our range becomes more depolarized. Looks like we're targeting a queen, when this villain may have called with speculative hands preflop. On this turn villain should think that he is behind better draws, when the cost of calling is higher than on the flop. Otherwise the neutral bet (equal in size to the flop) is similar to a check. Because it doesn't polarize our range too much and it doesn't seem to interfere much with the villain's range either.
On the river again the barrel is 47% of the pot. Maybe this means nothing and the villain has just been a compulsive caller. But rest assured that from 100NL these details will not go unnoticed, because sometimes without realizing it we can give information to the villain and he will use it against us.
Greetings.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like your turn bet and your river bet. Villain might have all small sets there and flush got on the river. Are you trying to set yourself up for a river jam?
I was always ahead and was the aggressor on all the streets. If you check on the river in this case, the villain will feel weak and will bet regardless of whether he caught the flush or not.

S

smorg01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it seems clear that the V assumes that you have QQ, but at the flop is getting paid 3:1 to account for the odds of hitting the flush on the turn or the river. So takes a shot.

At the flop the V is 40% with that 30% chance to hit the flush plus a bonus shot if hitting both barrals for the straight. Now you may be 4:1 favorite at the river, but the V is still getting 3:1 to take their 1 in 5 shot.

You may be ahead but your hand is not improving, you have a 33% chance if you hit an A that it is spades and your two pair would still suck out.

Look at it this way had you had A 5 would you feel so confident at the turn you still would have been ahead 2 to 1. But the mater of fact is that on the your lead was only improving by the fact that the V was running out of chances.

Perhaps at the Turn you should have put a little more pressure with a pot sized bet, giving the impression that you may have hit 2 pair or the straight. Then if the V was faced with a 2-1 bet on a 17% chance may have folded.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you check on the river in this case, the villain will feel weak and will bet regardless of whether he caught the flush or not.

If this ^ is what you're thinking of villain why not x/C river instead ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not really sure, how the title relates to this hand history? The opponent took a passive line in this hand, but its not like, he did anything crazy at all. J9s is certainly good enough to play on BTN against a CO open, and he is not supposed to fold a flushdraw postflop either.

Regarding your line I think, the first three streets are fairly standard, but betting the river is pretty thin. Not only did the river card complete the flushdraw, it also paired the board with second card, so you are targeting a very narrow range of hands like KQ or QJ, which you also block.

I would rather go 3 streets here with an overpair, but when you have top pair yourself, you need to consider, that this increase the likelyhood, he has something else, and almost all that "something else" now beat you. So I would check this river and then make a decision, if he bet. Most likely check-call, but if he goes for a very large bet, I can get away from top pair here.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not really sure, how the title relates to this hand history? The opponent took a passive line in this hand, but its not like, he did anything crazy at all. J9s is certainly good enough to play on BTN against a CO open, and he is not supposed to fold a flushdraw postflop either.

Regarding your line I think, the first three streets are fairly standard, but betting the river is pretty thin. Not only did the river card complete the flushdraw, it also paired the board with second card, so you are targeting a very narrow range of hands like KQ or QJ, which you also block.

I would rather go 3 streets here with an overpair, but when you have top pair yourself, you need to consider, that this increase the likelyhood, he has something else, and almost all that "something else" now beat you. So I would check this river and then make a decision, if he bet. Most likely check-call, but if he goes for a very large bet, I can get away from top pair here.
I'll explain what I meant. You may notice at the end of this hand that the flush draw never folds. Regardless of whether it is freerolls, micro limits, low limits and others. Maybe I should have made a big bet on the turn, but I felt that he would catch the draw. I wouldn't be so surprised if he had KJ suited, Ax suited. The opponent has 9 outs on the river for a flush. But 4 spades and 7 spades can make a full house. Therefore, he has 7 outs for a low flush for a clean victory. But in my range there may be AK spades, AT spades and a higher blocking flash draw. But he doesn't care, he just calls and that's it.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still dont think, your opponent did anything wrong at all. Its way to tight to fold a flushdraw on the turn facing a 50% pot bet. He is not only calling for direct odds, he also have implied odds on the river, and sometimes a J or 9 will make him the best hand, if you are bluffing or betting with a hand like A7. Or if you check the river, he can sometimes use his position to bluff you out of the pot.

I actually think, he played very well. Sure he could take a more aggressive line and either 3-bet preflop or raise the flop. But I am pretty sure, the GTO strategy is to mix it up, so that he can have hands like this both, when he is aggressive, and when he is passive. And I like, that he did not raise the river probably realising, that a raise would be to thin, when part of your range is better flushes and boats. So for me the only really questionable decision in this hand is your own river bet.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still dont think, your opponent did anything wrong at all. Its way to tight to fold a flushdraw on the turn facing a 50% pot bet. He is not only calling for direct odds, he also have implied odds on the river, and sometimes a J or 9 will make him the best hand, if you are bluffing or betting with a hand like A7. Or if you check the river, he can sometimes use his position to bluff you out of the pot.

I actually think, he played very well. Sure he could take a more aggressive line and either 3-bet preflop or raise the flop. But I am pretty sure, the GTO strategy is to mix it up, so that he can have hands like this both, when he is aggressive, and when he is passive. And I like, that he did not raise the river probably realising, that a raise would be to thin, when part of your range is better flushes and boats. So for me the only really questionable decision in this hand is your own river bet.
Was there an opportunity to win this hand in this case? If I didn't bet and played check-check or check-call, then it would be easier for me to fold on the river. And I would have lost minimally. But I decided to build up the pot from street to street. I couldn't give up being ahead all the time, if only I didn't get a raise in return. I also didn't want to play a check - call on the river, so as not to get a bet of 75% or a whole pot. I would have to think for a long time whether this is a bluff or not. And I could lose even more if I called.