$50 NLHE Full Ring: Did I play my big draw to weak ?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars - $0.50 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 90.74 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 8)
UTG+1: 203.56 BB (VPIP: 18.61, PFR: 12.15, 3Bet Preflop: 5.69, Hands: 798)
MP: 119.22 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
MP+1: 42.4 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
MP+2: 116.94 BB (VPIP: 18.50, PFR: 13.77, 3Bet Preflop: 8.51, Hands: 892)
CO: 92.12 BB (VPIP: 21.77, PFR: 15.32, 3Bet Preflop: 2.70, Hands: 125)
BTN: 109.62 BB (VPIP: 23.01, PFR: 18.83, 3Bet Preflop: 8.24, Hands: 723)
SB: 88.22 BB (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
Hero (BB): 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J 9

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Standard call pre-flop.

Flop: (9 BB, 3 players) Q 5 T
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 4.28 BB, SB calls 4.28 BB, Hero calls 4.28 BB

Flopped a straight and a flush draw and was not sure what to do in a multiway pot where the initial raiser betted out and another villain calls in the middle. Elected to call here to keep both players in the pot as I have 17 outs.

Turn: (21.84 BB, 3 players) 9
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 10.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 10.5 BB

On turn initial raiser bets out again SB folds and I call. Here another opportunity to raise the main villain, but I elected to keep to my flop strategy and just call also because now I have small showdown value with 3e pair.

River: (42.84 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero checks, BTN checks

On the river I just go for the little showdown value I have and check.

[spoil]BTN wins 40.7 BB
[/spoil]

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm fine with the way you played it.You could raise the flop and take an aggressive line as'well with so much equity in the pot.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played this hand i'd say carefully, it's true you had 17 outs but it turned out you couldn't play it better actually, since neither a flush or straight didn't come out for you and there wasn't a strong hand in your hands at the end you should build the pot for.
You minimized your losses to a chance for a big payout, so i think of your play in this hand, at least reasonable. Well played

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-bet this hand out of the blinds imo.

C-raise flop with a super strong combo draw. We don't want to keep people in the pot, we want to take it down right there. while, yes, we have 17 outs, we hit less than we make our hand so why let it go to showdown.

Turn, as played, c-raise here to rep JT or some other strong hands. We still really want to win this pot right here.

River, as played just check.

Overall, we played this ultra-passively, we need to raise at some point or bet at some point.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Draws can be played two ways: passive until you hit if your opponent is strong and you have good implied odds, or aggressively as a semibluff.

This spot is in between. Your opponent raised from the button, so he's usually got some weaker hands in his range. And you're out of position (harder to get paid if you try to draw profitably). So two arguments for cramming it in.

But villain also cbet into 2 players (likely has a little something) and his bet was pretty small. So drawing on the cheap is pretty appealing.

I'm kinda inclined to raise the turn. Your straight outs got less likely to get paid, and the 9 hits a lot of draws. Also, we now only have to get 1 player to fold.

The preflop decision to 3-bet or not is all based on stats. And with villain' s high 3-bet percentage, it's probably smart to just call. But his fold to 3bet stat is what you make the decision on.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a big fan of check raising here and playing a big pot. barreling turn whether we hit or not....potentially barreling river as well depending on our read on villain

here's the reasons:

1) We are OOP so when we do hit it will be harder to realize the full value of our draw. diamonds are obvious and harder to get paid from OOP so we really only have the 6 straight outs that we are likely to get super paid on

2) The likelihood of the flatter having a monster is small since it's a draw heavy board he would likely raise sets and 2 pair; so it's almost like dead money. the OG raiser can have a real hand but can also just be on a random Cbet. and he has to worry about the other player who is still in....basically it's a great squeeze.

3) protect your range in other spots. if you ever want to raise here for value and get paid when you have sets and 2 pair you need to have some bluffs in your range. what better hands to bluff with?

reasons not to Check raise/play aggressively are basically that you can be in jail vs a bigger flush draw....but also that bigger FD has to decide to jam you off your equity and they won't always do that (they'll fear a set for instance).

also if your read on your villains is that they are VERY straightforward calling stations meaning the won't fold often to your bluff and also won't fold often when you make your hand....then the value of trying to hit goes up.

also, because it's multiway your pot odds are improved for just taking a card.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a big fan of check raising here and playing a big pot. barreling turn whether we hit or not....potentially barreling river as well depending on our read on villain

Most of the time I do check raise in this position with a flush draw or better and for me the main reason is that OOP it is hard to realize equity. The straight draw is well disguised so I thought that for once I play this one passively.

Oh well there pros for both passive and aggressive play. Even raising pre-flop as TJ suggests is a valid option as the hands plays well postflop. Next time I will just check-raise again in a similar situation :D

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am fine with the way you play and think. Fold the river if he continues to barrel.