€50 NLHE 6-max: Top pair on board, OESD on turn, All-In. Did I make any mistakes?

S

Skimpadelics

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
€50 NLHE 6-max: Top pair on board, OESD on turn, All-In. Did I make any mistakes?

So last night I've played just a fun game with 6 friends. 25 euro min buy in, and it was later in the evening where I've had a stack of around 45 euro made of my original 25 euros. My friend had a similar stack but already bought in for around 100 euro's so was at a loss. Blinds were 0,25 / 0,50.

Everyone else had different sized stacks but they don't really matter in the hand.

The friend at the SB has lost a few hands already with big pots having Ace high to another Loose Agressive player who really mixes his game up with bluffs and big hands being really unpredictable. He called him for a bluff, but he had a pair. We're all amateurs here so no big deal. But still, it was not smart calling with Ace High from him. He makes mistakes. So do I by being a bit too aggresive at times.

I'm sitting in Middle Position, my friend is the Small Blind. I have 8(S)7(C) and my friend raised to 1,50 euro. I call and so do the BB and UTG.

Flop comes: 8(C)5(D)3(S)

Friend raises with 4 euros, BB + UTG fold. Since I have top pair and think the betting size is not that much I call him to see the turn. At this time I'm thinking he has a pair in his hand, maybe flopped a set of 5's or 3's. Since he only raised small pre flop.

The turn comes up 6(D). So board is 8(C)5(D)3(S)6(D) Which means I now have top pair on the board, with an open ended straight draw, could still make my set of 8's and if he had an over pair on the flop even a 7 would be good for me.

So my friend bet's 10 euros. I'm not seeing much in his range where I hit, I won't be the winning hand in my mind. I'ts my turn to decide if I would fold my hand which at this time is only a pair of 8's and I think he got me beat. Calling and missing the river would mean I lose half my stack because I would never call a bet on the river. So I think the best move at this point is to shove because I think that with an over pair on the flop or flopped sets there is enough fold equity for my friend at this moment to lay down his hand.

I'm hoping for him to fold, and he's clearly thinking about it. But after a minute or so makes the call with AA.

I show the 87, and the river comes 9(C). Where I take his whole stack with the straight.
The table went crazy because of my luck, but I think I actually made a pretty good play here.
If I would play the hand with these amount of outs against a hand that got me beat on the turn I needed a fold from my friend or a big pay day if I hit right?

Am I mistaken in this and should I have done it different. Maybe only call the turn to see if I hit the river and then making a bet?

I know in this exact hand I would have been 30/70 underdog, so most of the time I would have lost. And if so, I would have lost without any regrets. That's poker right?

Would you have played this hand anything different and did I or my friend make any mistakes in your opinion?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were aware that you were 70/30 down, what motivated you to continue on the turn? Are you sure it was a game between friends? I think I would have folded. I'm not a fan of playing real poker with friends, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
Apart from that, I think your hand is pretty weak in preflop, maybe 7-8s I would play it, but off suits I don't think I can play it on short or long tables.
On the flop you have a kicker that protects you less than 50% of the time, and there are many combos of overpairs that beat you, I suppose you thought this guy could bluff here with connected broadways like AK; AQ; AJ, but I wouldn't bother to fold on the flop either, with friends.
Greetings.

S

Skimpadelics

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were aware that you were 70/30 down, what motivated you to continue on the turn? Are you sure it was a game between friends? I think I would have folded. I'm not a fan of playing real poker with friends, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
Apart from that, I think your hand is pretty weak in preflop, maybe 7-8s I would play it, but off suits I don't think I can play it on short or long tables.
On the flop you have a kicker that protects you less than 50% of the time, and there are many combos of overpairs that beat you, I suppose you thought this guy could bluff here with connected broadways like AK; AQ; AJ, but I wouldn't bother to fold on the flop either, with friends.
Greetings.

Hi Gustav,

Thanks for your reply.

After I analysed the hand I knew I had 30/70 odds. I didn't put him on AA at the time.
It was a game with friends and to be honest, a lot of loose play. So yeah, 87o was not the best hand to call with but in the end, it was just another euro and you need to play hands to win right. Would have folded if the flop didn't bring me anything obviously and I was up at the time of the hand. So those were my reason to play the hand.

So on the turn I made an overly large semi-bluff. Which I thought he would fold but did not.
Of course in the end I got lucky with the odds in actually winning when he called. But could I have folded myself in this position with this many outs while gathering a fairly large pot with him folding and really large pot when he called and I hit, as I did.

Last edited: