$50 NLHE 6-max: Folds on river

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do we have any history regarding BB? Your river call was acceptable. If we consider that the opener was MP and then the BTN 3-bet, the villain should call preflop with all the combos suits and retire the off suits. That reduces BB's range quite a bit. Then on the river, V's bluff range contains up to 8 possible combos: A9s (2 combos), QJs (diamond and heart), 79s (diamond and heart) and 2 combos: J9s (spade and club). The BB with his flop, turn and river bets expected the fold equity of hands in our range like KQs (club and spade) and 77.
On the other hand, OTR we reached the top of our range, so the call becomes standard for this texture.
A key to knowing that we are balanced OTR is to observe that we do not block the upper part of the bluff range of V (AX) and we are only behind 7 value combos that beat us (ATs; A8s; A5s and TT).
Greetings.

K

Kroeska

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks a lot Gustav for your reply! I appreciate it a lot:eek:

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your play of the hand was fine. You got unlucky and were on the wrong end of a set over set scenario, but that doesn't mean that you played the hand badly.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to analyze this without knowing a bit of history, how the other guy plays. All in all, I think you played it well. While I was watching the hand, I thought maybe he had A T and made full house on turn, but it would have been very hard for you to fold it there. I think it crossed you mind that he got you beat, but it's hard to fold that. Better luck next time!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
4X 3-bet is a bit large in position but certainly acceptable. You can mix it up with 88 and sometimes call, sometimes 3-bet.

Flop
C-bet for value is of course completely standard with bottom set, and I also like just calling his check-raise. You have position and two bets left, so you can just take over the betting, if he check the turn. I am very happy about getting raised here, since you only lose to TT. AA would almost always have put in a cold 4-bet.

Turn and river
You also lose to AT now, but if he can have AT, he can also have AJ, AQ and maybe AK as well, and those hands might still be betting for value. In top of that every single draw missed, so he can certainly have some bluffs. Folding a full house in this situation would be way to nitty.

Conclusion
Set over set is usually just a big cooler, and this hand was no exception to that. If he have the 88, and you have the TT, he also lose all his money to you, as the board ran out.

K

Kroeska

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all for the replies, it helps a lot again! Have a nice day:joyman:

Folding in Poker