This is a discussion on $50 NLHE 6-max: BB vs SB facing a river raise within the online poker forums, in the Cash Game Hand Analysis section; Was looking over a few of my sessions and this hand seemed worth a post. Not sure I played the hand right on any of
The two spots that come to mind in reviewing the hand would be pre flop and also the river. before I write anything else let me say that I think I would have played this hand in game in the exact manner that you did except my river bet would be smaller trying to entice the pocket pair hands to call one more time. Other than that I play it the way you did. I think you can definitely 3 bet pre and depending on villain tendencies I would at times but I also dont mind seeing a flop in position with what is more than likely the best hand here.
I call both flop and turn as you did since I want to keep villains bluffs in the hands. I dont love the 3rd diamond on the turn but we do have the Jack of diamonds which would put me with a little more ease. The river card would not scare me much and like I mentioned, I would go smaller trying to entice pocket pairs to make a crying call.
When we get raised, there should not be that many if any bluffs by villain if they are a thinking player. We are not folding any ace or 9 and we have shown villain already that we have something and show them even more when we bet on the river. I would not love this since I know I am not ahead here but I also think I would not be behind here either so I would call based on that it should be chopped a lot (which I know goes against everything I have ever read lol) but I cant see folding here with the worry that villain has a lot of 9x when there is one left in the deck.
Okay you had basically the same mindset I went thru in the hand and glad to hear it thanks. The turn did worry me that he hit a flush but the size of his bet let me see what the river had to offer. His check on the river led me to believe he had a mid pocket pair or an A for the chop. My sizing was where I wasn't to sure I thought about jamming but figured he wouldn't call that so idk that's the size I decided on fully thinking it was mine or a chop. The raise was disgusting for sure I went f@#$ and called saying show me the dang nine out loud to myself. The solver says I should fold 85% of the time with a call the other 15% and idk seems like I cant be folding that often in this spot
re: Poker & $50 NLHE 6-max: BB vs SB facing a river raise
I would have played it exactly backwards. I'm 3-betting preflop against a SB opening 3x. Then the flop barrel and check-call on the turn. Don't be afraid to play for OTR stacks. The top of rank V is really insignificant. And this will most of the time be a split.