$50 NLHE 6-max: AQ from UTG flopping good in 3 way, 3 bet, pot

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After analyzing this hand thoroughly I think I made a lot of (small) mistakes here.
1) Sizing on the flop ?Think sizing can be better. In this instance the pot was big on the flop and the effective stacks not so big meaning that I could have raised on the flop a bit bigger such that it was a shove on the turn or a bit smaller to leave room for a turn bet/fold scenario.
2) Leading OUT in multi way 3 bet pot ?
It is questionable to lead out in a multi way pot as the aggressor was sitting behind me and was a good chance he was going to bet giving me the opportunity to see if the BB wakes up with a monster before I act.
3) Turn bet/fold or bet/call or check/call ?
Turn is a bet/fold scenario or check/call but bet/call is over the top as there are not many bluffs he can have on the river only missed club flush draws but that leaves only 2 combos.

What do you think?

PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 72.06 BB
SB: 99.44 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, hands: 3)
BB: 75.42 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
UTG: 292.62 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 17.50, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 41)
Hero (MP): 119.08 BB
CO: 106.22 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A Q

fold, Hero raises to 2.42 BB, fold, BTN raises to 6 BB, fold, BB calls 5 BB, Hero calls 3.58 BB

Flop: (18.5 BB, 3 players) T A 7
BB checks, Hero bets 9.14 BB, BTN calls 9.14 BB, fold

As both players did not buy-in for a full stack and also because the BTN made a min-3Bet I believe that both could a fish. So I decide to bet as most fish will call with all Ax and all Tx hands here and there is flush draw and possible straight draw on board that I don't want to give a free card.

Argh leaves an SPR of 1.5

Turn: (36.78 BB, 2 players) J
Hero bets 18.16 BB, BTN raises to 56.92 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 38.76 BB

Straight card arrived but I get great odds on villains all in so I call his all-in.

River: (150.62 BB, 2 players) 3

Hero shows A Q (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 60%, Flop 67%, Turn 9%)
BTN shows 8 9 (Straight, Jack High)
(Pre 40%, Flop 33%, Turn 91%)
BTN wins 146.62 BB

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough spot. One of the problems with AQ. Given pf play, the button does have a range advantage on that board, as AA and AK are in his range and not in yours.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is fine. I'm really not a fan of leading out here on the flop though. We pretty much force villain to always have Ax or a very strong draw type holding.

It's sort of a catch 22 because on this board, even though we flop well, when we face multiple streets we're not really fist pump getting the money in. But I think leading just accelerates that issue.

As played, I agree with your assessment that we should be betting a different sizing if we ARE going to bet in the first place. Probably the best would be to go larger now so we can just slightly overbet jam turn or jam pot on turn. But really it's hard to say bc again I wouldn't have led, but also bc depending on whether one or both opponents call, the pot size will be different.

As played, the turn is actually a pretty bad card for you imo. We don't really beat any Ax that's likely to give us action, and when he jams he never has worse imo. I get the call off bc it feels like we have too strong of a hand, but it's really hard to see him jamming say A8 here, which is what we're kinda praying for. If he somehow has a combo draw here once in a while that he didn't raise flop with, then great, but I expect to see a LOT of two pair, sets, and sometimes AK.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally would 4bet the AQ preflop and then go from there. AQ is a good hand pre flop.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u did spoted them as fishes so why u dont re-pop at them pre-flop to at least play the hand heads up and take control of the hand u r playing it OOP u need the betting control. i dont like the bet on the flop there check raise would make more sens to me. going to the turn u still didn't have any information about his range out there is he on a flush draw on a straight have he a made hand 10+ we really dont know that's why i dont share your idea of good odds to call. to know what good odds are u need to put your vilain on a range of hands the way the hand was played we didn't extract any informations on that direction.
In Microstakes push on turn or river is the nuts or near that those guys dont semi bluff and things like that, in doubt i would fold.