$50 NLHE 6-max: AA should I fold on the river or even at the turn ?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (BTN): 100 BB
SB: 137.84 BB (VPIP: 13.33, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, hands: 17)
BB: 125.24 BB (VPIP: 22.06, PFR: 11.76, 3Bet Preflop: 6.06, Hands: 69)
UTG: 109.04 BB (VPIP: 15.79, PFR: 10.53, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
MP: 172.44 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
CO: 95.5 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A A

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.42 BB, fold, BB calls 1.42 BB

Flop: (5.34 BB, 2 players) 2 9 J
BB checks, Hero bets 3.5 BB, BB raises to 12.68 BB, Hero calls 9.18 BB

Villain check raises on the flop on a J high board with both a possible flush draw and a possible straight draw. I decide to call and not scare my opponent away I even got a backdoor straight draw with the A of diamonds.

Turn: (30.7 BB, 2 players) J
BB bets 22.16 BB, Hero calls 22.16 BB

At I am not glad so to see the board pairing with a J. Now I am beat with just a J holding. Villain bets and as there are still straight and flush draws I stick to my plan and call again.

River: (75.02 BB, 2 players) 3
BB bets 87.98 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 62.74 BB and is all-in

River is a brick and villain moves all in don't like it but I call again as missed draws might play this way.

What do you think should I fold here or even already on the turn ?

In hindsight I think it is a (clear) fold here as the player pool is kinda tight passive meaning that they have a VIP of 25 and may throw out a bluff on the flop but most of the time don't bluff on the turn nor the river. And the villain has a big VIP-PFR gap which is typical a Tight Passive Player only 69 hands though.

BB shows J K (Three of a Kind, Jacks)
(Pre 13%, Flop 18%, Turn 95%)
Hero shows A A (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Pre 87%, Flop 82%, Turn 5%)
BB wins 196.5 BB

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am pretty sure this table type plays fairly nitty, this villain doesn't look like as much of a rock though. Looking at the 22/11 he seems more loose-passiveish.

Flop i am fine calling the c-raise. Like you said there can be a lot of draws, as well as some strong combo draws like QdTd, stuff like that. I would give him a range that looks something like : KdJd, QJd, T8d, 22, 99, KQd, QTd, (basically all the strong draws) maybe some Jx as a semi-bluff.

Turn, i think i can find a fold sometimes, even though draws don't complete we are now drawing to 2 outs versus any Jx. A call isn't a mistake but i think it will end up costing us.

River, if you thought you were ahead on the turn you need to call. You justified turn call so we can call again. I expect us to be be facing a lot of Jx though. I would say Maybe QJ, KJ with a diamond? I cant see spoilers so it will be interesting to see how close i am, but i think that because we hold the Ad we are more likely to be up against that.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am pretty sure this table type plays fairly nitty, this villain doesn't look like as much of a rock though. Looking at the 22/11 he seems more loose-passiveish.

Agree that hes no rock so should not called him a nit but on 6 MAX a VIP of 22 is not loose it is tight in my opinion so a tight passive (VIP PFR gap is big) player that bets into the 3 better with a check raise followed by a lead on the turn.
Yes I agree calling and certainly calling the river will in the end cost me against this type of player.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this call is fine. On the flop his check raise included draws and they've missed by the river.
Obviously he can have some nut hands as well.
Not many decent players would check raise top pair on the flop, villain gets lucky id say on the turn.
If he's playing all his top pairs like this then you will eventually get him back in the long run.

Folding in Poker