50 NL top set extraction advice

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About thirty minutes into the session.

I'm not too interested in PF, initially this could be a call or raise imo, I want to know what the best way to extract from the flop onwards is.

My image is TAG. I've pretty much won all my pots without showdown. Given my image should I lead this OOP? What are your thoughts on the c/r in the first place and the bet size secondly?

I put him on AK/AQ/AA/KK/QQ maybe JJ too. Am I better off c/c the flop and letting him have another shot on the turn? I figured if he AA/KK/QQ he'd push the flop after my raise.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: ITH Forums)
UTG ($45.65)
MP1 ($111.90)
Hero ($75.25)
CO ($46.50)
Button ($54.80)
SB ($39.45)
BB ($91.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with :9d, :9h.
Hero calls $0.50, CO raises to $2.5 Hero calls $2.

Flop ($5.75) :5h, :9c, :7d
Hero checks, CO bets $4 Hero raises to $12 CO folds.
Final Pot:$13.75

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think he'd fold an overpair to this board that easily. I'd let him peel off one more card and try to check-raise on the turn. I don't see him raising preflop with any middle/low cards that might let him draw to a straight here. I put him on AK and hes simply making a c-bet here. Hopefully a face card comes on the turn and he will have hooked up or try to take another stab at it hoping you'll fold something like a pair of nines.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PF: open raise your 9s. Limping is really weak and we completely hand control of the hand over to CO, or any other raiser for that matter.

Flop: as played, a ch-r is really bad.

Consider his possible holdings. If he's got an overpair and is your typical bad player, he'll most probably get a lot of money in unless you give him a very good reason to believe his hand isn't good. If he's got overcards, say AK for example, then he definitely isn't calling a check-raise. He'll most probably c-bet, then fold to a raise.

Now what we obviously want, is every last penny in his stack. We will rarely get that from AK, but we can definitely get that from an overpair.

Lead out and massage the pot to slowly build it up and get him committed. If we lead, AK will probably call in hopes of hitting an ace or king on the turn, in which case we're going to win a good sized pot. We can probably lead the flop, then lead-push the turn or maybe check-raise AI depending on the pot size. Considering a hand like JJ, we can lead the flop again, in which case he's going to raise. Then we can either come over the top if that bet will commit him enough to call, or we can smooth call and ch-r AI on the turn since that will most likely commit him.

Basically we want to lead out to give overcards a free card so they will commit more chips, and to get an overpair to raise, all the while we're building a pot so we can get a stacking.

Anyways I'm running through a phase of insomnia and I'm not sure my rambling is making sense, but here are two quick, simpler examples to give you an idea what I mean:

Hero ($50)
CO ($50)
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9♦9♥
Hero raises to $2, CO re-raises with J♣J♥ to $6, Hero calls $4.
Flop ($12.75) 5♥9♣7♦
Hero bets $7, CO raises to $20 ...

Now we have villain dead in the water. He's committed more than half his stack and has to call a shove. If we shove, he's getting more than 3:1 on his money with an overpair, and very few 50nl players will be able to fold here.

Now consider villain holding AK:

Hero ($50)
CO ($50)
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9♦9♥
Hero raises to $2, CO re-raises with A♣K♥ to $6, Hero calls $4.
Flop ($12.75) 5♥9♣7♦
Hero bets $7, CO calls $7
Turn ($26.75) 5♥9♣7♦A♦
Hero ...
Now we can check-raise (or just check-call if he shoves), and again we've got him dead in the water.

Keep in mind that this is all stuff that relies on us having 100BB (ie deep) effective stack sizes. If we're sitting on 20BBs when we hit that flop, we can ch-r AI and expect a call since he'll be committed anyways.

Check-calling and check-raising the turn is bad too as we don't swell the pot enough to get villain committed, and just give him another chance to get away from his hand. It is slightly better than ch-raising right off the bat though as we at least give AK a free card.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yip cool. Thanks for that. I knew I played it really badly the second the hand was over. Check-raising basically turns the hand face up and lets him get away easy. Alot of NL50 players with AA/KK will push over the top of the check-raise but I let AK/AQ off very cheaply.

This is a bit of a leak in my game, getting full value for all my hands.

Thanks again.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
c/c flop, c/r turn, if villain doesn't jam the pot, value bet river

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great analysis as usual Chuck, I learned something my self from that one. Thanks!