$50 AK, tough river decision

M

MigratedLamb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Highly doubtful that Brunson's play and situation were the same as this one. I doubt he really would have just straight called a raise to him with AA preflop, with two other limpers besides the raiser already in the pot.

Every right to be doubtful as the hand in the HSP was nothing like this one from what I recall (Doyle actually got really lucky and had A's dealt to him twice in a row). In the latter play was folded to Doyle and he was the raiser with A's, so no limping at all. Gold was the only caller with K J os

Flop was 9 8 4 rainbow (I think) and both checked the flop. Turn was a K, Doyle checked again and Gold made a pot sized bet, and Doyle ended up check raising about 3x.

The river was another low card and Doyle ended up betting about half the pot and Jamie ended up calling.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with Dorkus when he says that only PF is horrible, I think his check/call flop play was also terrible, it only looks good because the turn brought the best non A card available which allowed him to extract $24 from Estelle between turn and river.

What turn cards are really scaring us if we have AA here (aside from a king)?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I meant was that I disagree with him check/calling the flop. I think he should of raised because there were 2 players left to act since the pot was 4-way. His call there instead of raising seems like asking for more action from the other 2 players, of which at least 1 could have called easily since pot was offering almost 4.5 to 1 odds at that point. When was he going to make a move to reduce the number of players? We know that AA is a strong hand but the way he was playing this is very dangerous, because again he was ready to go 4-way to the turn.

You can't be sure about which cards should scare you on the turn because KQ, KJ, KT or maybe even Kxs, which are all possible starting hands for the other 2 players since they limped/called before the flop, are certainly not folding when pot is offering them almost 4.5 to 1 odds. What I'm trying to say is that a raise there was necessary IMO because keeping this pot 3 or 4-way could be dangerous if all you have is AA, as strong as it is.

I won't argue slowplaying a K high board, which is an idea that some members seem to love here, but only if it were him and Estelle in the pot, not when its 4-way. The turn gave him another 2, the perfect card, which makes his play look great but the result could have been different costing him alot in the process.

What I do give him credit for is betting the right amounts on turn and river, where he definitely put Estelle in a spot where she had to at least call.