$5 NLHE Full Ring: Top 2 Pair Vs River Over Bet

C

Cpeck3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing 5NL.

Hero has AJ of Hearts in the HJ I raise to 0.15 cents.

Villian in the button calls:

*** FLOP *** [8s 8c Jd]
Hero bets $0.22
Villan calls $0.22

*** TURN *** [8s 8c Jd] [3d]
Hero checks
Villan bets $0.39
Hero calls $0.39

*** RIVER *** [8s 8c Jd 3d] [Ad]

Hero bets 0.50
Villan raises $1.26 to $1.76

Thoughts?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Td9d makes the most sense, but you could be facing a boat or trips or maybe even quad 8. Once in a while you may be playing against AJ as well. Regardless, your hand is *beat* a lot of the time here and you're being bluffed very rarely.

Last edited:
liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: Standard
Flop: You are OOP and on paired boards you don't really have a nuts advantage, so you should be checking a lot. I advice you to check your whole range there. And if you decide to bet, you should bet small, since you don't want to play a huge pot. If you do play a big pot villain will show 8x most of the time. For these reasons you should check.
Turn: Standard
River: You don't call turn bet with many A high hands, so this river is not good for your whole range and because of that you shouldn't be donking there. As played, at these stake people raise extremely value heavy ranges, you will rarely ever see bluffes from opponents in these lines. You should fold.

C

Cpeck3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Td9d makes the most sense, but you could be facing a boat or trips or maybe even quad 8. Once in a while you may be playing against AJ as well. Regardless, your hand is *beat* a lot of the time here and you're being bluffed very rarely.

Preflop: Standard
Flop: You are OOP and on paired boards you don't really have a nuts advantage, so you should be checking a lot. I advice you to check your whole range there. And if you decide to bet, you should bet small, since you don't want to play a huge pot. If you do play a big pot villain will show 8x most of the time. For these reasons you should check.
Turn: Standard
River: You don't call turn bet with many A high hands, so this river is not good for your whole range and because of that you shouldn't be donking there. As played, at these stake people raise extremely value heavy ranges, you will rarely ever see bluffes from opponents in these lines. You should fold.

Thanks for the comments. Makes sense to me at least. I am fairly simple at the moment with betting flops. Heads up I pretty much bet all my hands, multiway less so.

It is interesting comment around different flop types and different betting strategies. If I checked when I was weak and bet when I had it then would it not make it very easy to play against me in these hands.

Thanks.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop c-bet sizing is a bit large for a paired board.
Turn is standard.
River... at these stakes a bet is probably ok, but normally you should be X/cing reasonable size bets since you won't have many Ax in your range. As played, even though his raise only fits a really narrow range of hands, I think if you folded to every river raise at these stakes you'd not be making a mistake.