$5 NLHE Full Ring: Rush: Flopped set vs. calling station

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ran into this kind of situation three times last night, and none turned out well. Should I have been more aggressive on the flop? What range should I put him on at the river, and should I lead out?

Full Tilt - $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em (9 players)
Full Tilt Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com
SB Hero: $8.64
BB: $3.94
UTG: $6.17
UTG+1: $1.57
MP: $39.82
MP+1: $5
MP+2: $4.60
CO: $2.14
BTN: $2.68
Pre-flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB and dealt :qh4: :qc4:
4 folds, MP+2 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, MP+2 calls $0.30
Flop: ($1.05) :ah4: :qd4: :8d4: (2 players)
Hero checks, MP+2 bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35
Turn: ($1.75) :ah4: :qd4: :8d4: :7s4: (2 players)
Hero bets $1.75, MP+2 calls $1.75
River: ($5.25) :ah4: :qd4: :8d4: :7s4: :6h4: (2 players)
Hero bets $2, MP+2 calls $2 (All-in)

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you got their stack so thats good but...

Since they are a calling station I'd raise more pre. Like .70 or whatever you think they'll call. If you know they will bet the flop 100% of the time when checked to I guess a c/r is ok but I think we should still lead this flop. Dont really like the c/c. We've hit a set and we want to build a pot and play for stacks. The A on the board and FDs, some being the NFD + gutter st8s means we will get a lot of calls from a station.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise wayyy more pre against a station, and bet all streets. C/C on the flop is a disaster, the times he checks back we find it more difficult to get stacks in by the river.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise to at least 75 cents pre. You are OOP and it's harder to extract value postflop. Checking the flop is awful, a set on an A-high board should be a bet 100% of the time. If you're checking it's to check-raise.

nh

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info. When I posted it, I figured the flop is where I made the most mistakes. I should have check/raised.

By the way, he had :9h4: :10h4: . Ugh.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you should of led out for somewhere around 1.50 to 1.75 on that flop...most middle set on an A high, draw heavy board is a good spot to be in, especially if villain is a station'

this makes the turn an easy shove with around 2.50 left in your stack....also, remember to put auto top off on so you can get max value out of hands

edit: saw you posted his hand, honestly you let him get there by not being aggressive enough...hope this all helps

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't say I would have played the hand much differently from how you did. If I get your thinking correctly, you put him on Ace-rag and at most he had two pair. The fact that he had a straight draw is just bad luck. You should win money playing this way most of the time.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't say I would have played the hand much differently from how you did. If I get your thinking correctly, you put him on Ace-rag and at most he had two pair. The fact that he had a straight draw is just bad luck. You should win money playing this way most of the time.

completely ignore this advice/

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no honestly your advice was just horrible. what people have said already in this thread how to profitably play this hand

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, noted. But how is a different betting structure going to help with a calling station who will chase a straight draw all the way to showdown anyway?

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, noted. But how is a different betting structure going to help with a calling station who will chase a straight draw all the way to showdown anyway?
maybe simply playing better would show better results in non-cooler hands? whatever it is, betting larger means you get more money in with the best hand, which is good, and if you do not agree, then perhaps there is nothing one can do to explain :)

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Because people cant draw when they miss on the river and will fold when you bet. Get the money on the flop and turn vs chasers.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you ever check/call that flop if you think you're up against a calling station? They CALL too much. So just keep betting and betting big when you flop well against them. We make money when our opponent makes mistakes, so if you think this player's particular mistake is that he calls too often don't you think letting him make that mistake is the best way to win moneys?

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no offense noname65...nothing personal, just your advice was bad thats all

the entire point is to exploit your opponents, if your opponent calls too much than exploit that with big bets, dont just check to the river hoping he doesnt get there

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check-shoving or overbetting the flop is better than your line.