$5 NLHE Full Ring: Did i play this right or was it a bad beat?

R

Ryudo9999

Rising Star
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

Joe Pando (UTG): $2.00 (100 bb)
StraddleDeez (MP): $2.83 (142 bb)
GG6 (CO): $2.00 (100 bb)
jbgutrock (BU): $1.18 (59 bb)
RichardGiant (SB): $2.27 (114 bb)
Hurthanan (BB): $1.90 (95 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (StraddleDeez) is MP with Q T
1 fold, StraddleDeez (MP) raises to $0.05, 2 players fold, RichardGiant (SB) 3-bets to $0.08, 1 fold, StraddleDeez (MP) calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.18) 5 Q T (2 players)
RichardGiant (SB) bets $0.05, StraddleDeez (MP) raises to $0.20, RichardGiant (SB) calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.58) 3 (2 players)
RichardGiant (SB) checks, StraddleDeez (MP) bets $0.43, RichardGiant (SB) calls $0.43

River: ($1.44) J (2 players)
RichardGiant (SB) bets $0.36, StraddleDeez (MP) calls $0.36

Total pot: $2.16 (Rake: $0.10)

Showdown:
RichardGiant (SB) shows K A (a straight, Ten to Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 66%, Flop: 19%, Turn: 9%, River: 100%)

StraddleDeez (MP) shows Q T (two pair, Queens and Tens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 34%, Flop: 81%, Turn: 91%, River: 0%)

RichardGiant (SB) wins $2.06

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Awards
It was definitely a bad beat, at least after the flop.

With no diamond in your hand, a fold on the river would have been fine.

For him to stick around for 2 streets on that board trying to hit his gutter shows that he is a weak player (and his 3 bet sizing preflop).

Stick around and take all his money next time you're at the same table!

300HPGOD

Legend
Awards
Pre flop I would advocate raising 3x as the penny more will help on later streets but its a small gripe. When you get min 3 bet, yes it can be a monster but it is a call based on the price so you should take the flop as you did.

On the flop we nail it and face a small bet so on a two diamond board it should be a raise and I would at least raise to .18 here and your bet of .23 I thought was a good sizing.

On the turn when another diamond comes and we already had our raise called I would put some caution into my game. When I went through the hand at first I was thinking check behind here with the intention of bluff catching most rivers or betting after checked to. Thinking about it more I like betting as well to charge one diamond hands. So my thinking is check here or bet something like 25 cents to make them draw against the odds.

On the river when a bad card rolls off and your raise was already called plus a hefty turn bet was called I think we can safely assume we are behind here. Then add in that the bet sizing was a "please dont fold" sizing I think folding is best by far. Once in a while you will get bluffed there but not very often on how the hand was played and also that this is 2NL. Was an unlucky hand for sure but one you could have saved some money with a few different actions turn and river.

R

Ryudo9999

Rising Star
thanks for the reply's, i really appreciate it guys, this was the first hand that actually bugged me, still learning but i swear everytime i flop 2 pair or something better than TPTK i lose the hand every time, probably just me being biased and thinking everyone bluffs like me but i was so worried about the diamonds i figuired raising might make him think i had the flush, the straight never even crossed my mind. when he checked the turn i felt like he didnt have the diamonds, then when he didnt go all in i knew he had no diamonds, so i thought the last bet was a bluff on the diamond to try and get me to fold. It feels like if i flop 2 pair someone has a set, or if i flop a set someone makes the straight lol. it happens so much its weird but im not gona get into rng lol .

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
P: loose open, not crazy, but I open-fold QTo from MP, especially with 2x weak players (BU & BB) still to act. QTs is much better to open.

Also, if we open, then make it 3x.

As played (2.5x), we are priced in vs weird OOP min-3bet. We don't like it, but we have position.

F: as played, raise to 3x is enough.

T: check behind, we have to slow down. Villain is goofy enough to have bet his flush draws small on flop, and called our big raise.

Also, we must exploit our position to pot control.

R: horrible river. River donk is classic fishy play for value. Weird small donk sizing (25% pot) is consistent for villain's sizings so far in hand.

I tank-fold.

Please don't post results.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Awards
Raise the flop more, that's way too small of a raise. Turn is fine. River is a fold. He's not bluffing for that amount, and little to no chance he's block betting w/ a worse 2 pair. There's really nothing you beat but total air.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Awards
In my micro experience preflop min raises generally mean the kind of speculative hands, from small pockets to the hold found in V.
Your opening is certainly a bit weak from MP. Here you must make a better selection of starting hands to play. QTo is certainly acceptable, but you have to learn to fold places postflop, in a larger number of scenarios.
In this texture your hand becomes marginal postflop, and specifically on the river. To give you an idea here, a flopped set is very vulnerable and should fold a lot of times. Assuming this villain is the passive type of player, you should think about whether it's possible to beat a set by turning your hand into a bluff.
If you can't get him to fold a set then your hand is a standard fold. Don't think too much about odds, usually no one will lie to you here. Chances are the average micro stakes player has a diamond blocker, at least a small one.
In this case the V had his best range hand, and will probably never fold to a raise of bluff.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Awards
Preflop
Not much to say here. Standard open (could be a bit larger at 2NL though) and of course, when we face a silly min 3-bet like this, we are never ever folding getting 5:1 to see a flop in position. Even if he showed us aces or kings, we would be priced in to call and try to suck out on him.

Flop
Like your raise but especially at 2NL I would want to go bigger here. Now we hope, he have aces and kings, and if he does, lets try to stack him or at least win a very big pot. He could also have a hand like AK, which flopped a gutter and two overs, so that is also not going to fold to a bigger raise, and if he does, we at least deny his equity. 30c seem like a nice sizing here. Its still less than full pot, and its the price of nothing! So if he has a hand, he is going to call, and if he is making some silly lead with 44, he is not calling 20c either. Exploit the fact, that the average opponent is massively inelastic in spots like this and go bigger, when you have a fat value hand.

Turn
Flushdraw completed now, but I actually like, that you continued betting. With the Q and T on the board, there are not to many flushes, he should have here after 3-betting, and its much more likely, he could have the stiff A or K of diamonds, which we need to get value from now.

River
Horrible card and super annoying action. You are getting 5:1, so need to be good 1 out of 6 times. I dont know man. Its 2NL, and could he be doing this block betting with a hand like AA or KK with no diamond 1 in 6 times? I probably hate life and pay him off as well, while cursing the card gods for a horrendous runout. If he bet anything much larger than this, I fold.

alan222lomax

alan222lomax

Rising Star
i think i would have bet more after the flop and having two high pair, see the diamonds. he may have called a bigger raise but at least he'd have paid dearly to hit the straight.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Awards
You need to bet 0,30-0,40$ on the flop not to be giving too good of a price to draws.
The rest of the hand is fine and pretty standard for a 6-max cash-game.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Visionary
Awards
Just my 2 cents, but I think I would have folded with the 4 diamonds...it's just too easy to be behind here.

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Awards
Classic, at micro-limits, one pair is not always thrown out, but here is the street, your opponent is an amateur, he didn’t even see that there are 4 diamonds on the table, I hope you understood this and marked him, next time he will pay you everything when you have nats[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]