This is a discussion on $5 NLHE Full Ring: How would you play this hand? Will you bet on the flop or check? within the online poker forums, in the Cash Game Hand Analysis section; Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 15/5/1
PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
UTG+1: 203 BB
MP: 150.4 BB
MP+1: 98.6 BB
Hero (CO): 104.2 BB
Flop:(88 BB, 2 players) Q♥ T♣ 8♠ BB checks, Hero bets 50.6 BB, BB raises to 96.6 BB and is all-in,
First blunder: to raise IP with a huge polarized sizing: 4 big blind (4x) is a very big sizing and we should avoit it 100% of times.
The reason is not because there are fishes ahead, the reason is that we are not winning 100% with KK+ and AKs, whether the adversary is Nathan Williams or a drunk recreational that only plays poker because it has nothing better to do with its time.
For the times our KK+ 'hold' against fishes we win a big pot. For the times our KK+ doesn't hold against fishes we lose a big pot. Remember that we are paying a very salty rake, which makes the playability at the micros something almost impossible: less than 1% of the players at the micros are real profitable ones, and we must be sincere and ask ourselves if we do belong to this group of winners or else, if we belong to the 99% of players that are breakeven.
More polarization: BB 3-bets to 5x the sizing of our 4x opening (4 * 5 = 20 BB), and then you 4-bet to 2x (2 * 20 = 40 BB). Well mate if you are brave enough to put all of these chips in the middle preflop (nearly 40% of your whole stack), 4-bet-Jam already because how can we fold postflop after we had invested so much?
We cannot be folding or either complaining because with no information of Villain this polarized 3-bet sizing versus another polarized opening raise of 4x means that these Villain will have AK, AQ on its range, plus AA, (KK) and QQ. Sometimes JJ.
Again, if you are going to c-bet OTF, go all-in instead of any sizing, we are already commited.
from my experience those huge overbets in micros usually mean QQ/KK/AA. Regardless, on the off chance villain is gambling his money away, or is tilting or something, I would just shove pre flop. I mean, no real point to min raise pre flop like you did, as you are inviting some hands that arent premium but can look like it to see a flop and maybe catch something.
The way it was played, flop is clear call, you already invested 70% of your stack so calling off the other 30% is a no brainer math-wise.
Agreed with the above comments, your open is too large and then given his enormous reraise you have to either call or shove - min raise is insanity as it exposes you to folding the flop with most of your stack in the middle.
A good rule of thumb is that if you’re raising to an amount greater than 1/3 of your stack you should be shoving as the SPR on the flop makes it a shove fold decision anyway.
Putting that to one side, the flop bet size is also huge. In a 3bet pot you should be sizing down given how inflated the pot is so here we’re in a 4bet pot I’d expect a 30BB bet. My guess is you wanted to induce the shove but 30BB does that anyway and gives a chance you see weaker hands do it rather than just the nuts.
Based on his stats and the way played he has to have AA/KK/QQ and so you’re losing this hand almost always (or chopping and giving up a portion of your stack in rake). Despite the fact you’ve lost, you have to call as you’ve already put 90% of your chips in the middle so have to pray he’s a total donk or you get a world beating run out
re: Poker & $5 NLHE Full Ring: How would you play this hand? Will you bet on the flop or check?
Others have said this already, but I am also not a fan of the oversized (4 BB) open raise, and neither am I a fan of putting in more than a third of the effective stack without jamming. This opponent is tight and passive preflop, so when he 3-bet to this size, he almost certainly has a premium hand like AK or QQ-AA. If you want to have some postflop playability you could actually just call, but even against this passive player my default would be to get it in with KK. If he fold AK or QQ, that is totally fine, since you pick up a huge pot uncontested.
Given that you should not see the flop like this, it almost does not matter. However QQ obviously got there, so you only beat AK now, and essentially jamming the flop, as you did, allow AK to fold, which mean, you only get action from AA and QQ. So if I somehow saw the flop like this, I would make a very small bet to induce AK to either call or come over the top. If he just call, I would go all in on the turn, unless its a J or an A. A hand like this is rather special, because you can actually narrow his range down to just a few possible holdings.