$5 NLHE Full Ring: How would you continue, call or fold on the turn?

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 15/11/3

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 7 players

BB: 60.8 BB
UTG: 125.6 BB
UTG+1: 100 BB
MP: 107 BB
CO: 100 BB
Hero (BTN): 162.2 BB
SB: 50.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, CO posts penalty blind 0.4 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.8 BB) Hero has Q A

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BB raises to 9 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Flop: (18.8 BB, 2 players) A 6 T
BB bets 9.4 BB, Hero calls 9.4 BB

Turn: (37.6 BB, 2 players) K
BB bets 42.4 BB and is all-in, fold

BB wins 36 BB

Thank you for advices

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BB raises to 9 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

BB wins 36 BB

Thank you for advices

Hello there Mcclares, real hard spot where we can be calling this shove in a low X frequency and 4-betting in a Y frequency, if we have good information of how Villain plays postflop.
Because given this configuration scenario, it seems that this Villain is TAG, although it started the hand with a broken stack, which at cash tables, is a strong sign of weakness.
Recreational or not, when this Tight player 3-bets you out of position it will have all the AA, KK and AK in its range and we will have none when we call.
Here we must put up some 4-bet/Push for bluff with our AQs and AJs because BB could be 3-betting here just for stealing with a pretty wide range.
Although calling isn't bad at all because AQs will have a very good playability postflop and can form a lot of nutted hands.
Your call in the flop is fine but in the River we don't see many bluffs that could be jamming here and in the best case scenario we would be even.
Usuallly players are only 3-betting BB x BTN for value because BB has good odds to be calling with the greatest part of its preflop range.
Remember, we don't want to do the same thing with a hand/range of hands a 100% of times: if the player in the BB is that Rock/NIT (with 1% or 2% 3-bet preflop) we could even be folding AQs here! We must mix between calling and 4-betting/Pushing preflop, specially versus Regulars who like to exploit a lot.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion'

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello there Mcclares, real hard spot where we can be calling this shove in a low X frequency and 4-betting in a Y frequency, if we have good information of how Villain plays postflop.
Because given this configuration scenario, it seems that this Villain is TAG, although it started the hand with a broken stack, which at cash tables, is a strong sign of weakness.
Recreational or not, when this Tight player 3-bets you out of position it will have all the AA, KK and AK in its range and we will have none when we call.
Here we must put up some 4-bet/Push for bluff with our AQs and AJs because BB could be 3-betting here just for stealing with a pretty wide range.
Although calling isn't bad at all because AQs will have a very good playability postflop and can form a lot of nutted hands.
Your call in the flop is fine but in the River we don't see many bluffs that could be jamming here and in the best case scenario we would be even.
Usuallly players are only 3-betting BB x BTN for value because BB has good odds to be calling with the greatest part of its preflop range.
Remember, we don't want to do the same thing with a hand/range of hands a 100% of times: if the player in the BB is that Rock/NIT (with 1% or 2% 3-bet preflop) we could even be folding AQs here! We must mix between calling and 4-betting/Pushing preflop, specially versus Regulars who like to exploit a lot.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion'

Thanks, for advice! I would like to ask, What limit you usually play? Just I am interesting:D

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thanks, for advice! I would like to ask, What limit you usually play? Just I am interesting:D

In the past (2009-2013) I used to play 100 NLHE and 200 NLHE. I've been away from the tables and now I am re-starting from scratch, so I am playing 2 NLHE and 5 NLHE with the objective of getting into 100/200 NLHE again.
Summarizing I play from 2 NLHE to 200 NLHE at maximum, Online only.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the past (2009-2013) I used to play 100 NLHE and 200 NLHE. I've been away from the tables and now I am re-starting from scratch, so I am playing 2 NLHE and 5 NLHE with the objective of getting into 100/200 NLHE again.
Summarizing I play from 2 NLHE to 200 NLHE at maximum, Online only.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Ooo very cool, good! I am not as experience as you xD, you know blackrain 79? His books can help you faster get higher

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Annoying spot since Villain is a bit of a massive nit. Theoretically, pretty sure this is a snap. Top pair second kicker in a < 3SPR pot. We don't block any backdoor flushdraws etc.

Reckon it depends on your sample size on Villains stats (try to include that). If he really 3bets only 3% on a solid sample, we're looking at JJ+ and AK. In that case, yeah we can find a fold exploitatively but without a really solid sample size we're gonna be forced to defend her not to get exploited.

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Annoying spot since Villain is a bit of a massive nit. Theoretically, pretty sure this is a snap. Top pair second kicker in a < 3SPR pot. We don't block any backdoor flushdraws etc.

Reckon it depends on your sample size on Villains stats (try to include that). If he really 3bets only 3% on a solid sample, we're looking at JJ+ and AK. In that case, yeah we can find a fold exploitatively but without a really solid sample size we're gonna be forced to defend her not to get exploited.

Thank you very much!

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More than likely made the correct fold on the turn imo, I would consider making a 4bet preflop against this type of villian who may just be 3 betting you lite if your opening wide from the button, Also 4 betting as a bluff with the hope of maximizing FE following it up with a c/bet on most textures could be a good strategy against this type of villian.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think the 3% is referring to aggression factor

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

He didn't list 3 bet percentage in the V stats, he listed aggression factor which suggests the opposite of what you've assumed here. Not nitty at all if he's raising or betting 3 times more than calling. Still don't know how many hands the sample is so I'm fine folding here to the overbet. The larger the sizing the less often we have to defend and there are plenty of sets, and two pair hands here that have us crushed along with the occasional straight or combo draw. What bluffs does he really have on this texture? We block QQ and JhJ usually gives up on this turn. We should only be beating an over played AJs type hand.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this as played. There's way too many hands here that villain could easily have that beats TPTK. The only iffy spot is the flop. You are certainly strong enough that you could 4bet, but too often you'll be 5bet jammed if you do and be playing from behind. I think a call is better.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the 3% is referring to aggression factor

He didn't list 3 bet percentage in the V stats, he listed aggression factor which suggests the opposite of what you've assumed here. Not nitty at all if he's raising or betting 3 times more than calling. Still don't know how many hands the sample is so I'm fine folding here to the overbet. The larger the sizing the less often we have to defend and there are plenty of sets, and two pair hands here that have us crushed along with the occasional straight or combo draw. What bluffs does he really have on this texture? We block QQ and JhJ usually gives up on this turn. We should only be beating an over played AJs type hand.

Completely right that 3 is the AF and not 3bet%. Made a mistake here, thanks for correcting me! Having said that though, 15/11 as VPIP/PFR is still a complete nit imo. And an AF of 3 is on the low side (note: AF is usually a postflop stat).

Would say this depends on his 3bet stat. I'm usually a tournament player. So not too familiar with the 5NL population on stars. Theoretically I'd say 4bet pre and go broke. As played I'd still stack off against a good player.

However, I don't think your average 5NL player with those stats has enough bluffs in their range here so I'd probably find an exploitative fold then (for example I don't think they ever got something like 9h8h in their range here).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a pretty annoying spot, because our hand feel like to strong to fold, but at the same time it is only a bluff catcher against a tight regular like this, and they rarely bluff for stacks. It should be noted also, that a BB 3-bet is usually stronger than a SB 3-bet, because so many hands can profitably call. So most likely this is exactly, what it looks like: AA, KK or AK. Good fold.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty annoying spot, because our hand feel like to strong to fold, but at the same time it is only a bluff catcher against a tight regular like this, and they rarely bluff for stacks. It should be noted also, that a BB 3-bet is usually stronger than a SB 3-bet, because so many hands can profitably call. So most likely this is exactly, what it looks like: AA, KK or AK. Good fold.

I think the same. The only thing I think worth mentioning is that also there are no draws. So we pray he is bluffing. Which should be rather rare on micros. Our value comes from valuebetting.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the same. The only thing I think worth mentioning is that also there are no draws.

This is also a good point. If we think about, which hands a tight player would 3-bet from big blind, then what bluffs are even possible here? He can not have a flushdraw, because Ah and Kh are both on the board, and he is almost certainly not 3-betting a suited connector type hand. So we are basically hoping, he takes a made hand like JJ and turns it into a bluff, because he understand, its the bottom of his range. But at 5NL very few players are thinking on this level. Other than that I guess, we can beat AJ, but is he really piling it in on the turn with that hand? I dont think so. A recreational player might, but not a 15/11.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

BB wins 36 BB

Thank you for advices

vs such a tight 3-bet stat I agree with the fold.

vs a 3-bet stat of more like 7-10% I'm likely calling off for all the monies here.

as @Alucard said nh/wp

Folding in Poker