$5 NLHE Full Ring: Full House over Full House

RSemjonovs

RSemjonovs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where did I go wrong? Guy limps AKs in a good position...
Is limping AKs a normal thing to do in NL5 or is this villain a joke?

Pacific, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
SB: $1.92 (38.4 bb)
BB: $2.16 (43.2 bb)
UTG+2: $5.16 (103.2 bb)
MP1: $6.02 (120.4 bb)
Hero (MP2): $5 (100 bb)
MP3: $6.11 (122.2 bb) (VP: 20; PF: 16; 3B: 0, Based on 293h)
CO: $3.29 (65.8 bb)
BTN: $6.11 (122.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q
club4.gif
A
heart4.gif

2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, MP3 calls $0.15, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.37) K
heart4.gif
Q
heart4.gif
club4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $0.18, MP3 calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.73) A
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.28, Hero calls $0.28

River: ($1.29) A
spade4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.61, Hero raises to $3.12, MP3 raises to $5.50, Hero calls $1.27 and is all-in

Results: $10.07 pot ($0.59 rake)
Final Board: K
heart4.gif
Q
heart4.gif
club4.gif
A
diamond4.gif
A
spade4.gif

Hero showed Q
club4.gif
A
heart4.gif
and lost (-$5 net)
MP3 showed A
club4.gif
K
club4.gif
and won $9.48 ($4.48 net)

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why do you bet a flop? you hit 2nd pair and it's clear check/call flop.

as played I would 2nd barrel with my two pairs. It's hard to judge the river as all hand from the flop is played bad.

and where the guy limped AK? he just called your open and I guess it's ok. It's 3bet or call with AK on these positions.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop, I agree, a check/ check-call works fine. There are still some hands we are ahead of here like AT that we can get a lot of value from with a good turn, we also have the backdoor nfd as well. (and a blocker, although i like to have the A of clubs better so he can have some flush draw bluffs.)

If you bet the flop why are we check calling the river? There are SO many bad cards that can come on the river. A heart, jack, or ten probably improves most of villains range. I think a bet is necessary here.

On the river, gii is fine, 2nd nuts with only 3 combos of AK to beat us.

Last edited:
RSemjonovs

RSemjonovs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you bet a flop? you hit 2nd pair and it's clear check/call flop.

as played I would 2nd barrel with my two pairs. It's hard to judge the river as all hand from the flop is played bad.

and where the guy limped AK? he just called your open and I guess it's ok. It's 3bet or call with AK on these positions.

On the flop, I agree, a check/ check-call works fine. There are still some hands we are ahead of here like AT that we can get a lot of value from with a good turn, we also have the backdoor nfd as well. (and a blocker, although i like to have the A of clubs better so he can have some flush draw bluffs.)

If you bet the flop why are we check calling the river? There are SO many bad cards that can come on the river. A heart, jack, or ten probably improves most of villains range. I think a bet is necessary here.

On the river, gii is fine, 2nd nuts with only 3 combos of AK to beat us.

So betting the flop was my mistake... I agree, he could have had a flush draw or something else better than me. Pushed myself into a trap. Experience after all.

And excuse me, I mean called with AKs not limped. My mistake.

RSemjonovs

RSemjonovs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started to play at NL5 a few days ago, because my bankroll allows me to. I have seen so many guys making a 3bet or going instantly all-in with hand like AK at NL2. Even solid ones. That’s why my question is - is this a normal move at NL5? He had a good position too.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping with AKs is not a recommended play unless you know the field is aggressive and you have a good chance of being raised.

You raise with AQ which is standard play against a limper. Would normally make it 0.2 (4 BB) as there is a limper in the pot.
Although one can check call here with second pair I don't mind betting the flop as played.

No problem betting the turn as you improved to two pair.

I would never check raise the river on this type of board as the board is so scary that your opponent probably will gladly check back to you with JT, 88 and prob KK and therefor has not many hands that he can call your check raise that you beat.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That’s why my question is - is this a normal move at NL5? He had a good position too.

you shouldn't expect that most of the villains know what they are doing, because they don't. its nl5. There is no answer for your question because AK could be easily a 3bet or just a call. Depends on villain. Sometimes if someone relatively tight opens from this position I'm able to call with AK on MP (I play 6max). so you should assume next time that people still have it in their ranges. Same when they 3bet.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You went wrong with the bet on the flop, building a pot for a possible K, then on the turn you really did nothing wrong in my opinion, you thought you hit the best hand here, because after his call, you couldn't have thought you were good. After the turn it is pretty much just a cooler for you, you could put him on AK but it is hard to when your holding such a strong AQ. Just always have it in the back of your mind that this guy just might have the couple of hands or one hand that beats me. It will save you in the long run of things and will more than likely not cost you much in equity when you need get equity for a big hand. He played AK pretty good in my opinion, taking little to no risk and gaining everything, I sometimes play AK like this in some spots, just depends on a handful of things, like position, player im playing against, stack size and so forth.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically this hand is just one of those gross coolers, where everyone gets stacked 100% of the time. You had the second best boat, he had the best boat, so of course money is going in here literally always. Maybe if its 500BB deep, you can start to consider a big laydown, but not for a 100BB stack.

So forget about the results, because they are not important. The important is, did you play the hand correctly? Others have commented about betting the flop, but I dont think, it really matter that much, if you bet or check-call. You can go a little smaller, if you bet, because you are trying to get called by hands like 99-JJ or QJ, but its nitpicky.

For me the main mistake in the hand is check-calling the turn. Your hand is almost certainly best now, and whenever you have a very strong hand out of position, you always want to keep or take the betting lead. The reason is, its a disaster, if he check back on the river, and you are also giving his draws a free chance to suck out on you. So either simply bet again, and this time for a larger size, or even go for a check-raise on the turn.

As for his line, its not standard or optimal to flat AK preflop, but you knew from your HUD, that he had not been 3-betting over nearly 300 hands, so its not surpricing, that AK could be in his range. That changes nothing on the river though, because at this point there is only 3 combos of AK left, and at 5NL most players are not getting away from any full house here, or a straight, or even just 3 of a kind like AJ, AT.

Last edited: