$5 NLHE Full Ring: flop set of queens with scary board

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG+1 = 20/20/0 over 10 hands, no notes.

BB = 20/8/1 over 63 hands, notes say "DB with TPTK".

My stats at this table are 21/21/0.33 over 30 hands.

Poker Stars - $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em (8 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB Hero: $5.09
BB: $12.59
UTG: $8.55
UTG+1: $1.78
MP: $2.39
MP+1: $3.18
CO: $5.83
BTN: $5
Genr3 - Sitting Out

Pre-flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB and dealt :qc4: :qh4:
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $0.15, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, BB calls $0.40, UTG+1 folds

Flop: ($1.05) :qd4: :2d4: :3d4: (2 players)

What next?

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess I messed it up then :eek:

Poker Stars - $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em (8 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB Hero: $5.09
BB: $12.59
UTG: $8.55
UTG+1: $1.78
MP: $2.39
MP+1: $3.18
CO: $5.83
BTN: $5
Genr3 - Sitting Out

Pre-flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB and dealt :qc4: :qh4:
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $0.15, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, BB calls $0.40, UTG+1 folds

Flop: ($1.05) :qd4: :2d4: :3d4: (2 players)
Hero bets $4.64 (All-in), BB folds, Hero returned $4.64

Final Pot: $1.05

Showdown:
Hero mucks his hand
Outcome: Hero wins $1

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I would have bet the pot. That way you give him poor odds and if he comes over the top you can put him on a flush and lose less.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if he comes over the top you snap call

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea you killed that hand. Just bet biggish if he has a flush draw he's calling with bad odds, what do you think shoving achieves that betting pot wouldn't do?

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea you killed that hand. Just bet biggish if he has a flush draw he's calling with bad odds, what do you think shoving achieves that betting pot wouldn't do?
If they call I lose more and if they fold I've lost value.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If they flopped a flush they call your all in and they either call or raise your flop bet so you're going to lose anyway.

If they flopped a flush draw pot it and if they call they call with bad odds, them making a -ev move would = +ev for you. If 4th flush card comes just check/fold. which would mean they lost any implied odds they thought they had when making this play. Max value would've been potting it then check/folding a 4th diamond.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what the **** happened in this hand

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More pre and lead for close to the pot.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell me why you think this board is scary? Looks v.nice to me!

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're just killing the action for someone holding one diamond. Pot betting is good, shoving is just losing value and awful for when someone does call with a flush even though the odds are high that it's unlikely I don't quite understand the shove. Are you hoping to draw out the action of someone with a diamond? Are you hoping Ad,x/Kd,x folding here?

If so, then I don't understand why. You want draws calling you with bad odds and pot betting is giving him bad odds either way + you don't make him fold like you did, he might call one more street. The odds on someone flopping a flush is somewhere in the region of 120-1 so I'm never really worried about someone flopping a flush when I hold the nuts all most every single time here, I'm expecting being calling by a Ad/Kd and shoving the turn then for when he does miss.

Either way, you get chips in if he shoves as you can boat up and obviously folding would be massively negative ev.

Last edited:
R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I would have bet the pot. That way you give him poor odds and if he comes over the top you can put him on a flush and lose less.

You fold top set here after especially investing another dollar in the pot?

Someone having you beat here is highly unlikely a flopped flush is like 120/1 odds and I'm willing to take that chance with my set every single time even bottom set as if the small chance of them flopping the flush HAS happened, you still have outs to boat up anyway.

You have a very high percentage of the time people shoving or coming over the top with Ad,x/Kd,x

I think it's really bad folding ever here.

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You fold top set here after especially investing another dollar in the pot?

Someone having you beat here is highly unlikely a flopped flush is like 120/1 odds and I'm willing to take that chance with my set every single time even bottom set as if the small chance of them flopping the flush HAS happened, you still have outs to boat up anyway.

You have a very high percentage of the time people shoving or coming over the top with Ad,x/Kd,x

I think it's really bad folding ever here.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

what are you even talking about

if they call they don't necessarily have a flush, they can have Qx, mid pocket pairs, A/Kx of diamonds, potting it gives him bad odds to continue and he can semi-bluff shove so you can snap given you are ahead

shoving takes away that option, he might also shove like 88 no diamond over your pot bet cos fish love putting people on draws