$5 NLHE 6-max: What to do with weak flush draw and open ended straight draw on wet board

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5 NLHE 6-max: What to do with weak flush draw and open ended straight draw on wet board

So in reality I should of raised instead of checking the blind but there was several limpers and I half expect at least 2 callers as I'd be quite aggressive. Besides which pocket 5'5s are so dominated post flop. Maybe a mistake not to raise? So I make a straight on the the turn which could actually be no relevance to me anymore.Was the raise on the turn good or bad and him flat calling made me dubious and he must of had a suited card?

How would you play the hand in general from the flop onwards? Did I play it ok by just calling his raise on the flop?

Did his small raise cause me concerns? ie: Trying to get as much as he could out of a monster hand? Was me raising him on the turn the correct move to gain some information? Did I really gain anything? I personally thought after his small bet on the turn then me raising much larger for him to flat call had me in danger of a higher flush.

River a small value bet from him wanting me to call down with any diamond card?? Is it an easy profitable call if there is a slight chance we are ahead? Or do I raise the river ? I'm guessing that's a bad move in general on such a board?

Poker Stars - $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em (6 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $3.92
BB Hero: $6.37
UTG: $2.27
MP: $3
CO: $2
BTN: $4.05

Pre-flop: ($0.17) Hero is BB and dealt :5d4: :5h4:
UTG folds, MP checks, CO checks, BTN folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.20) :6d4: :7d4: :8d4: (4 players)
SB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15, MP folds, CO calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.65) :6d4: :7d4: :8d4: :4s4: (3 players)
SB bets $0.10, Hero raises $0.40, CO calls $0.40, SB folds

River: ($1.55) :6d4: :7d4: :8d4: :4s4: :ad4: (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.55, Hero calls ??

Last edited:
R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go here then click on the link orange put in there.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/micro-fr-group-isolating-limpers-192796/
Edit it's the one about iso limpers can be found here.

Ah thanks I've actually seen that before but - this table was full of calling stations. I didn't think it was profitable in the BB to raise it up and have 2 or 3 calling and someone hitting a higher card. Maybe wrong move like I say, I dunno. I just don't really like 5'5s out of position with stations calling down.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking 55 in the BB is perfectly fine if you expect multiple callers. Playing small pairs OOP in multiway pots sucks. As for the hand raise the flop, raise bigger on the turn and fold the river.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya, checking in this spot with 55 is totally fine. If you're not comfortable playing OOP then Id also check up to 77. 88 is where Id draw the line and say its an auto raise.

And + 1 to what WVH said about post flop.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking 55 in the BB is perfectly fine if you expect multiple callers. Playing small pairs OOP in multiway pots sucks. As for the hand raise the flop, raise bigger on the turn and fold the river.

Ok thanks I thought as much with regards to if I expected multiple callers which is good, at least I'm learning something lol.

Really raise bigger on the turn? Why's that if we intend to fold the river? Are you putting them most of the time on a good diamond if they call a bigger bet? Obviously we want him to fold at this point and if he doesn't then we are screwed even if he gives good odds to call the river bet? Or is this "usually" the theory of slow playing a monster hand and I'm basically paying him off? Wouldn't it be profitable to call his bet with good pot odds or is a diamond on the river just a killer?

I actually called the river bet in the end because I was getting 4/1 odds. So that was the inncorrect move in the end you think? I did think he had a diamond but I always think the worse so I can't say if it's profitable or not with my state of mind always thinking they have the nuts.

River: ($1.55) :6d4: :7d4: :8d4: :4s4: :ad4: (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55

Final Pot: $2.65

Showdown:
CO shows :10h4: :4h4:
Hero shows :5d4: :5h4:
Outcome: Hero wins $2.53

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thanks I thought as much with regards to if I expected multiple callers which is good, at least I'm learning something lol.

Really raise bigger on the turn? Why's that if we intend to fold the river? Are you putting them most of the time on a good diamond if they call a bigger bet? Obviously we want him to fold at this point and if he doesn't then we are screwed even if he gives good odds to call the river bet? Or is this "usually" the theory of slow playing a monster hand and I'm basically paying him off? Wouldn't it be profitable to call his bet with good pot odds or is a diamond on the river just a killer?

I actually called the river bet in the end because I was getting 4/1 odds. So that was the inncorrect move in the end you think? I did think he had a diamond but I always think the worse so I can't say if it's profitable or not with my state of mind always thinking they have the nuts.

We raise the turn to get value from single diamond hands while they're still drawing.

As for the river call you need to be good 20% to make it profitable but honestly he has some random diamond more often than that.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I thought cheers. To be honest I only called purely because of how the table played out, it was very loose and just calling stations calling down with any pair. I dunno if that would of made your decision to call on the river easier, I'm guessing in most cases it would.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I thought cheers. To be honest I only called purely because of how the table played out, it was very loose and just calling stations calling down with any pair. I dunno if that would of made your decision to call on the river easier, I'm guessing in most cases it would.
Easier fold in that case. He bet. When calling stations take aggressive action they usually have strong hands.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's worth noting what he showed down here though. He's a random donk looking for the ass-end of a gutshot on a 3-flush board. Most people cold-calling this turn raise will have a large diamond always though.

Full Flush Poker