$5 NLHE 6-max: well played low 2 pair in SB?

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem 0.05(BB)
BTN (128) [VPIP: 13.3% | PFR: 13.3% | AGG: 0% | hands: 15]
HERO (229.8)
BB (100) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | Hands: 1]
UTG (108.8) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | Hands: 13]
HJ (107.8) [VPIP: 60% | PFR: 20% | AGG: 37.5% | Flop Agg: 33.3% | Turn Agg: 66.7% | River Agg: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 5]
CO (125.6) [VPIP: 10.5% | PFR: 10.5% | AGG: 0% | Hands: 19]

Dealt to Hero: 7 6

UTG Folds, HJ Raises To 3 BBs, CO Folds, BTN Folds, HERO Calls 2.6, BB Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [14.97 effective]
Flop (7): 7 6 5
HERO Bets 3.4 (Rem. Stack: 223.4), HJ Raises To 10.2 BBs (Rem. Stack: 94.6), HERO Raises To 30 BBs (Rem. Stack: 196.8), HJ Calls 19.8 (Rem. Stack: 74.8)

Turn (67): 7 6 5 4
HERO Checks, HJ Checks

River (67): 7 6 5 4 7
HERO Bets 19.2 (Rem. Stack: 177.6), HJ Calls 19.2 (Rem. Stack: 55.6)

HJ shows: 4 4

HERO wins: 101

HELLO. Nice poker weekend. This time I ask your help to improve my game.

In this hand I was trying to defend my blinds with 76o. I think is a good long run play. Is it? Then, I got 2 pair in flop. So there's a lot of combos that I beating but my hand maybe doesn't survive to river. So I decided to be aggro in my advantage.

The V made a min re-raise and I 3bet because I really wanted to make difficult get another card and a lot of project combos could beat me. So, the turn didn't help me, I check, and thanks to God, my V too :D:D:D

In river a got FH and I just bet 1/3 pot because the pot is big and I wanted to cash a fish with anything, an overaggro player or any player with straight or worst FH. If he would re-raised, I would 3bet x2 or allin.

So what you think about my thinking? :call2:

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
in this type of situation i'll bet 3/4 pot minimum for value because if they have straight or trips they might call if they have worse they will not call anyway

as my own general rule, for value min. is 3/4 pot if i have an idea that V is strong i'll overbet it to pot size or more than pot size

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think pre flop is an either way play to me. From the SB I will usually just let this go as I am not closing the action but I can see calling here as you did especially if the BB is not an aggro player that likes to raise. We have a hand here that does not mind too much when another player comes along but would hate it if we were 3 bet here by the BB.

On the flop, I dont like leading out here. I would rather let villain C bet and then call or check raise. Your bet sizing is okay but I would not go any smaller than that knowing there is 3 to a straight on the board. I think 4.5BB is better but your sizing in the end is fine. I like the re raise from you and the sizing since we block sets and also they could be raising with over pairs to the board which we are beating and they will call.

Hate that turn card so I could see throwing a small bet out there as a blocker bet on the turn so we deter a bluff a little but I like checking here. Villain makes an interesting check behind knowing what they have in the end.

On the river is where I think you made a pretty big mistake. Villain pre flop raised and called a raise we made to their raise on the flop. There is a high probability they have something that they like enough that they are not going to fold easily. Effective stacks are about 75BB behind which would be an over bet if we jam. I dont like doing that here but you need to go bigger than you did on the river. I like betting anywhere from half pot to 2/3rds pot here on the river. I think villain will be calling mostly due to what I wrote a few sentences ago that they have already told us they have something.

As a side note, knowing what villain has, their flat call on the river is very disciplined. I am surprised that at a 5 NL game and the typical players that you see that they were not re raising. Good play by them to know you could have something there that still could beat them.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think pre flop is an either way play to me. From the SB I will usually just let this go as I am not closing the action but I can see calling here as you did especially if the BB is not an aggro player that likes to raise. We have a hand here that does not mind too much when another player comes along but would hate it if we were 3 bet here by the BB.

On the flop, I dont like leading out here. I would rather let villain C bet and then call or check raise. Your bet sizing is okay but I would not go any smaller than that knowing there is 3 to a straight on the board. I think 4.5BB is better but your sizing in the end is fine. I like the re raise from you and the sizing since we block sets and also they could be raising with over pairs to the board which we are beating and they will call.

Hate that turn card so I could see throwing a small bet out there as a blocker bet on the turn so we deter a bluff a little but I like checking here. Villain makes an interesting check behind knowing what they have in the end.

On the river is where I think you made a pretty big mistake. Villain pre flop raised and called a raise we made to their raise on the flop. There is a high probability they have something that they like enough that they are not going to fold easily. Effective stacks are about 75BB behind which would be an over bet if we jam. I dont like doing that here but you need to go bigger than you did on the river. I like betting anywhere from half pot to 2/3rds pot here on the river. I think villain will be calling mostly due to what I wrote a few sentences ago that they have already told us they have something.

As a side note, knowing what villain has, their flat call on the river is very disciplined. I am surprised that at a 5 NL game and the typical players that you see that they were not re raising. Good play by them to know you could have something there that still could beat them.

Thanks for your time to give me a detailed feedback!

Yes, I like your line of thinking too. I wasn't sure of my bet sizing, specially in the River. I don't wanted to go higher in the River because I thought that if I go harder the V would not call with just Over Pair or straight due to the board. So I wanted to make sure the even worst hands would call me. But still, I think that my bet was too low and I could make more money because I played well, the river was mine and my V wasn't willing to go easily from that pot.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

P: easy standard fold, i don't understand your comments about defending your blinds, we don't close the action, what is our plan if BB squeezes? Are we playing a massive pot OOP? possibly even multi-way?

F: as played, in general don't donk, it's better to have zero donking range while you're a beginner to intermediate player, once you are better at hand selection and better at postflop play (and playing vs better players) then you can work donk leads into your gameplan, but at micro to low stakes donk leads are not necessary, just beat the game with solid play

donking that specific flop is risky, we could be way behind, also sizing is too small, make it 5-7bb

as played, don't 3bet, just call, we could be way behind, also we are readless: 5 hands is no sample, if we're going to 3bet then sizing is fine

T: terrible card, i guess checking is ok, because we massively overplayed our hand so far, but are we check/calling when villain pots turn? i wouldn't find myself in this situation so its difficult for me to say, because now 3x beats us as well, this is perfect example of why we must have a plan for hand before we make 1st decision in hand

R: as played, we must jam with stone nuts, no other bet-sizing makes any sense, especially how hand played out, villain is calling a jam very often as played

my suggestion is to study preflop hand selections for all actions available, study bet-sizing and have a clear plan for the hand BEFORE any decisions are made

hope this helps, cheers