$5 NLHE 6-max: Can we find a fold? Top set v fish

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Turn min raise is pretty nutted, pretty much only flopped flushes,,, any set/2pair XR flop, right?

This guy I don't know, but SB flat + shorter stack is typically a fish.

can we fold to the 9 on the river?

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 120 BB
SB: 83.3 BB
BB: 212.3 BB
UTG: 95.8 BB
MP: 235.1 BB
Hero (CO): 155 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:club: K:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.2 BB, fold, SB calls 1.7 BB, BB calls 1.2 BB

Flop: (6.6 BB, 3 players) J:diamond: T:diamond: K:diamond:
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 4.9 BB, SB calls 4.9 BB, fold

Turn: (16.4 BB, 2 players) 6:heart:
SB checks, Hero bets 12.3 BB, SB raises to 24.6 BB, Hero calls 12.3 BB

River: (65.6 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:
SB bets 32.8 BB, Hero calls 32.8 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a really bad flop for a set. Not only is it monotone, AQ and Q9 also flopped a straight. So I think, you are almost overplaying your hand with these large bets on both flop and turn. I would prefer to at least go a bit smaller to keep his range wider and also to not value own myself to much. As played you have to call his turn raise, even though you are rarely ahead. But you have 10 outs to fill up, and you are getting a good price. River is an easy fold. There is also a 1-liner to a straight now, so you lose to even more hands. Even on a complete blank I would still fold.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To start I think you could raise a little more than 2.2x in this spot unless that is your raise sizing for all hands. If it is then I am fine with that but I think bigger is better here just so we get this heads up more than likely instead of 3 ways.

I like the sizing on the flop because we have a hand that even though it is top set, we are vulnerable here. This is not the best flop in the world so if we are beat the sooner we can find out we are beat the more money we will save. Smaller sizing will get a lot of hands to float while a larger sizing like this should shrink villains calling range a bit.

The turn bet sizing is way too big to me. We bet large on the flop in part to see how the villain would react and they called so that should mean something to us. Now what we need to do is get value from when they have a one diamond hand but bet enough so they do not get the odds to draw. That means you could go pretty small here. I like something in the neighborhood of 7-8BB for the sizing. Enough to make the diamond draw against the odds but also something where if we get raised big here we can walk and save some chips. As played on the turn I will go with an unusual play that I dont think many do and that is I would click this back to villain. I would re raise them the minimum and see how they react. If they click it back to me after that I would be most mad but have to call, if they make a bigger raise then I would fold, if they call then they will have a tendency to check the river and then we can check behind and save ourselves from facing a big river bet. If they call the min raise on the turn and lead the river then we can safely fold unless it is a small bet that maybe could suck us in but I would still say with almost certainty we would be behind if that happens. Min raising that turn back to them makes them define their hand there on the turn instead of a tougher river spot for us.

As played on the river is a tough spot but the line sure looks valuey from villain. I would hate folding top set here but all indications look like we are beat at this point. Villain also has the stack heading to the river where they could shove this under pot sized and they dont. To me that is another indication of a value bet here so if I was in this hand and was playing well in the moment I would find the fold button.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with 300HPGod, I also prefer more raise pre flop on that stack, because big blind is very deep. So even raise pre flop 2,5x or 3x will be good. You wrote that opponent is a fish, for me it depends what hand he showed before that hand. If he was a very big fish I think we have the best hand on the flop and on the turn and the turn card is a good card for you to put him on allin. If I good see his raise on the turn is commited him with a pot, he had about 80bb pre flop in stack and on the flop and on the turn he invest the most of his stack. So if he is a fish as you wrote I think we can risk on the turn and put him on allin. GL :)

Folding in Poker