$5 NLHE 6-max: Wait, he has what? QQ vs Donk Betting on Low Semi-Wet Board

ZenAndPoker

ZenAndPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ugh, this hand is really bugging me.. Its my 9th hand at the table so I don't have many reads yet. I think I misplayed this turn but not sure if I'm just suffering from confirmation bias because of results at showdown. The thing is, I really hate when I get donk betted in spots like this, where I'm holding a premium hand on a less than favorable board, because after a couple of months of playing on this site the donk bet could be anything. Sometimes its a total bluff, sometimes its exactly what it looks like, the player is holding a super weak hand and is betting for.. idk the chance to see a cheap turn/river to improve? And once in a while its a setup to jam the pot if you raise them.. That's what really has me gun shy here, I wanted to raise him more on flop, and figured he would check to me on turn, but also want to control the pot on t he flop in case the turn was bad for me. Anywho.. take a look at the showdown and let me know what you think

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
HERO ($5)
BTN ($2.13) [VPIP: 22.2% | PFR: 11.1% | AGG: 100% | 3-Bet: 25% | hands: 9]
SB ($3.31) [VPIP: 100% | PFR: 33.3% | AGG: 15% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 9]
BB ($4.51) [VPIP: 50% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 40% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 6]

Dealt to Hero: Q Q

HERO Raises To $0.15, BTN Folds, SB Calls $0.13, BB Calls $0.10

Hero SPR on Flop: [7.02 effective]
Flop ($0.45): 3 T 6
SB Checks, BB Bets $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 4.21), HERO Raises To $0.60 (Rem. Stack: 4.25), SB Folds, BB Calls $0.45 (Rem. Stack: 3.76)

Turn ($1.65): 3 T 6 2
BB Bets $0.25 (Rem. Stack: 3.51), HERO Calls $0.25 (Rem. Stack: 4.00)

River ($2.15): 3 T 6 2 3
BB Bets $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 3.16), HERO Calls $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 3.65)

BB shows: K 3

BB wins: $2.71

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have played the same. Without a read or some other info I doubt I'd raise the donk bets, but also not folding. Possibly raise the turn bet and that may change the river lead? Did you win the hand?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise turn as well
there's nothing to be bugged about. You lost very little vs a fish who we love to play against

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well played on the flop, but would raise turn as well to something like 0.75 or 1.0. On the river it is an obvious call for me, the information only that he is able to do this with K3 is worth the money. Take good notes and hope you see him soon again in the long run you will crush the fish.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah this a cooler. You only have one pair and flush is also on the board, so his donking range can include strong hands. Easy call down. Frustrating I know. In spots like this losing the minimum is important

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NL5 u need to open big preflop with JJ+ AQ+ 5BB is ok people play their cards if they think that worth a call the amount does not matter. in the flop it's ok for me. On the turn why would u call, his bet count as a check it means nothing there to bet 5BB, u need to bet hard on the turn 2/3pot if he raises that will mean he did hit his straight if he calls he is most likely to be on a flush draw and he is most likely to fold anything else. on the river u dont have any information on his hand and he goes for bet that's a check to me as played u r just calling blind and hoping for the best.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am good with preflop and on the flop. What is BB's range that just calls pre and donk bets the flop? Its capped for sure. Pairs to TT, broadways, and very few low cards, mainly Ace somethings. The flop call under represents Hero's hand.

I don't like the call on the turn. Villain is reping trips out of position, but doesn't have any 2 pair hands in his range. There are two flush draws which are more likely than the trips. Why let Villain see a cheap river? After Hero's call there is $2.15 in the pot and Hero has $4 behind. Hero will call a reasonable river bet, so why not make that $1 bet on the turn, hoping to get a call from flush draws and bad pairs?

If Villain is folding, she won't be calling the river. If Villain has trips she'll likely re-raise and since she is unlikely to bluff OOP Hero can fold. If Villain just calls and a flush card doesn't come on the river, Villain will like check to either induce or to check fold. In either case Hero should check back.

Villain's play is really bad and sucking out trips on the river just makes one want to scream.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars