$5 NLHE 6-max: Was turning top pair into a bluff bad? (QJ missed straight draw)

C

chessnotcheckers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a bad bluff because my hand has some showdown value, and villain isn't folding a lot of hands that beat me. I think they folded a worse hand or an overpair (only 3 of those). I shoved anyway because I'm still learning about what spots are good for bluffing. They are probably calling with any straight or flush, which is what I rep with the shove. So I don't think it's good. What do you think?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/125db3X8
NL Holdem 0.05(BB)

HERO ($6.05) [VPIP: 28.4% | PFR: 22.8% | Hands: 2833]
CO ($5.51) [VPIP: 62.5% | PFR: 56.3% | Hands: 16]
BTN ($5.57) [VPIP: 53.3% | PFR: 20% | Hands: 16]
SB ($2.87) [VPIP: 71.4% | PFR: 7.1% | Hands: 14]
BB ($2.75) [VPIP: 33.3% | PFR: 16.7% | Hands: 12]
UTG ($7.48) [VPIP: 29% | PFR: 19.4% | Hands: 33]

Dealt to Hero: Q J

UTG Folds, HERO Raises To $0.15, CO Raises To $0.45, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, HERO Calls $0.30

Hero SPR on Flop: [5.22 effective]
Flop ($0.97): T J 9
HERO Bets $0.70 (Rem. Stack: $4.90), CO Calls $0.70 (Rem. Stack: $4.36)

Turn ($2.37): T J 9 6
HERO Bets $1.70 (Rem. Stack: $3.20), CO Calls $1.70 (Rem. Stack: $2.66)

River ($5.77): T J 9 6 6
HERO Bets $3.20 (allin), CO Folds

HERO wins: $5.49

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opening QJo from the Hijack is pretty loose. Then calling a 3 bet with that hand out of position is very loose.

I think turning that weak a top pair into a bluff the way that you did will be a losing play in the long run. It did work that time, so well played.

C

chessnotcheckers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Opening QJo from the Hijack is pretty loose. Then calling a 3 bet with that hand out of position is very loose.

I think turning that weak a top pair into a bluff the way that you did will be a losing play in the long run. It did work that time, so well played.

I agree with you. Opening QJo is a little loose, but I like LAGging at the tables I play because I have a post-flop edge on a lot of players there (although this hand might suggest otherwise :p). I'm keeping it in my range when the CO and button are tight, but in the future it's a fold if they're loose. Calling the 3-bet out of position was loose too and I think I prefer a fold now. A much better bluff candidate would have been something like AK or AQ of hearts (and that makes more sense for the pre-flop action as well!). I shouldn't have shoved my weak top pair on the river, but like you said, it worked. I probably won't do it again in this spot since in the long run, making the right play matters more than the result. So, let's say I checked and faced a bet from CO. Should I have called? Or folded my top pair because the board is too scary? Thanks!

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly check/call the flop.

The turn will depend on his sizing and whether he's looking to get stacks in on the river.

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There is a free program called pokerstrategy equilab I used to come up with my RFI (Raise First In) ranges for each position at the table for when I play 6max. It will teach you about combos and equity the more you use it which may help you understand why QJo is considered "very loose". I'm only saying this because you posted on here so I'm assuming your looking for some help. The bulk of the range from the HJ for me was my pairs and suited cards that I picked and only a few offsuit hands. KJo was the worst offsuit hand I used and it is still loose to do so here. If you like to play looser, I do too, I recommend doing so in the later positions rather then the earlier ones. That being said I would fold KJo without much of a thought when I'm 3-bet.

As for the hand, I agree with sidetracked that if you are going to raise as loose as QJo from the HJ, when you get 3-bet this should be an easy snap fold because (I hope) it is the worst hand you would raise from this position. I used to raise and call 3-bets OOP in spots like this not all that long ago with the same and even worse hands then yours and trust me when I say you will lose money in the longrun because I have.:eek:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I think, opening QJo from HJ is fine, but it is marginal. I would prefer to fold to the 3-bet though. Yes the opponent is shaping up to be a maniac, but its only over 16 hands, and even if his 3-betting range is very wide, QJo is still not in good shape against it. So I prefer to let him have this one and find a just somewhat better hand to fight back with.

Flop
Leading into the 3-better is a bit unconventional, but I dont hate it on this texture, since you can definitely have most of the strong hands. Against this kind of player you should be prepared to get raised a lot though, and then you will probably need to simply stack it off on the flop with your pair + OESD. Its a very high variance situation.

Turn
Since you took the initiative on the flop, I obviously like betting again on this brick turn. Its a bet for value/protection, and a lot of his range should be draws. For that reason I like a large bet here, and you could even overbet jam forcing him to either give up his equity or make some kind of ridiculous call.

River
Frontdoor clubs came in, but there are still a bunch of other missed draws, you beat. So I am definitely not thinking about bluffing here, and especially not against a maniac. I just dont think, this kind of player is interested in folding. He is playing for fun, and to reload is not even the price of a cup of coffee in Starbucks depending on his location. Instead I would check and probably do a fair bit of bluff catching, if he jam.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand this hand at all... why are we bluffing with top pair???