$5 NLHE 6-max: Should I fold set with Jacks vs possible straight?

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem 0.05(BB)
HERO (77.6)
SB (142.4) [VPIP: 33.3% | PFR: 33.3% | AGG: 66.7% | hands: 3]
BB (98.6) [VPIP: 27.3% | PFR: 18.2% | AGG: 63.6% | Flop Agg: 40% | Turn Agg: 100% | River Agg: 50% | 3-Bet: 9.1% | 4-Bet: 0% | Cold Call: 16.7% | Hands: 22]
UTG (100) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | Hands: 1]
HJ (129.2) [VPIP: 50% | PFR: 50% | AGG: 0% | Hands: 2]
CO (145.6) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | Hands: 4]

Dealt to Hero: J:heart: J:diamond:

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To 3 BBs, SB Folds, BB Calls 2

Hero SPR on Flop: [11.66 effective]
Flop (6.4): 9:club: 6:diamond: J:club:
BB Checks, HERO Bets 6 (Rem. Stack: 68.6), BB Calls 6 (Rem. Stack: 89.6)

Turn (18.4): 9:club: 6:diamond: J:club: 5:heart:
BB Checks, HERO Bets 11.8 (Rem. Stack: 56.8), BB Raises To 89.6 BBs (allin), HERO Calls 56.8 (allin)

River (176.6): 9:club: 6:diamond: J:club: 5:heart: 4:diamond:

BB shows: 8:spade: 7:spade:

HERO cashes out: 33.4
BB cashes out: 114.2

Hi there, friends. I'm not sure what I should do in hands like this. I called the XR allin because I thought that I'm beating more combos with my hand than the combos that defeat me.

Only 87 combos (16) could beat me, and I'm beating the other ones. So... please help to understand if this is the right line of thinking.:vollkomme

Thanks

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have raised more preflop. Otherwise, you played it fine. You just got unlucky.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you played the hand badly, and I would have called the raise all in on the turn as well.

There are enough pairs plus draws that could have played this way to make your call good.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played this hand well. The only I would nitpick on is the turn sizing since I would want to play for stacks here with the turn card not being a club. If you bet pot here on the turn we can make an under pot sized shove on the river. You can go less on the turn as you did making the river shove a bit more than pot but probably better to size up a bit on the turn once we decide we want to play for stacks.

As played in the moment I would be saying "life sucks if they have 87" but I would not be folding and probably proverbially breaking my arm getting my chips in here. I think a set may raise pre flop but maybe not so I see villain having sets as well as many other hands that we beat here. Like I wrote, it just sucks when they do have 87 here but its a snap call to me.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only point here is: Why you are not playing ALWAYS 100BBs deep?

The rest is standard.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only point here is: Why you are not playing ALWAYS 100BBs deep?

The rest is standard.

Sorry, but can you explain why it is mandatory?
It is not mandatory in my opinion. By not auto-topping up to 100 BB you will separate yourself from the regs and grinders but I'll venture to say that there aren't that many "pros" at 5NL. You may be assumed to be more recreational or fishy, but I don't think this is a bad thing. You may get more action as a result. The thing that IS important is to recognize how the game changes with stack size and to adjust accordingly. With less than 80 BB you should be tightening ranges and thinking more about bet sizing on the flop and turn for example, there are many aspects to consider. Read up on short stacked play if you are interested in playing like this often. Some players are actually better with shorter stacks than deep (especially very short stacks for good tournament players where the game is mostly solved with push / fold / re-jam charts). For these players it may be better to buy in 50-80 BB where they have more edge and then try not to make to many mistakes after they double up or switch tables and repeat. A major factor to consider is that by playing a shorter stack you limit the amount you can win from your deeper Vs. If you have an edge over your competition then you want to be as deep as possible at all times to extract maximum value in general when those opportunities arise. This cuts both ways though so if you are making large mistakes in big pots you stand to lose more as well. If you have more edge playing short stacked or the other fish are short stacked and the deeper stacks don't play well against shorter stacks I can think of situations where it is certainly not mandatory to play 100+ BB. Everyone tends to think they are better than average playing deep and that 100+ BB is mandatory to get the most from all the fish but clearly everyone cant be above average. Understanding which situations / tables / stack depths etc you are most successful with is part of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your game. Finding out where your edges are and where you need to improve is very valuable. Stack depth is just one variable to consider and I think it is over simplifying things to say more is always better. Live games for example often allow 150 or 200 BB buy ins. Many players have the same mentality that if you don't buy in for max you're a fish. The reality is usually that it's more complicated than that. And you just need to understand the implications of stack size to your strategy and how that interacts with the rest of the table.

Last edited:
Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't fold in this situation. We don't know the player in the blinds. The 22 hands we've seen say he's clearly not a nit. This is one of the most difficult post-flop situations and it all depends on the spectrum that we put to the opponent. We have a huge number of outs that give us nuts on the river and we can't narrow down the spectrum to 87s.The villain can also have sets, combo draws. If we knew the opponent better and had a deeper stack, we could talk about a fold. But in this case, it is very difficult to play a fold.

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should win 33% of hand on turn.

This is not 3-bet of 4-bet pot. So villain (9.1% of 3-bet) has AA KK (and QQ) rarely here (but possible).

All in vs second bet is value or bluff. Bluff look strange here (possible vs flash draw). So this is value.

Villain "all in" value hands 55 99 66 78 (JJ blocked). It 22% to win even against 78. Plus 99, may be 66 and 55. And 2 pairs

This is call for me.

Last edited:
Folding in Poker