OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124JImhHO

Hi there, poker friends. Nice poker weekend :D

In that hand you'll see me folding my straight against a shove in river. I thought that the V was a slowplaying a set from flop or turn, and then shoving in river with fullhouse. Or maybe the V just had a King or Eight and thinking that I would call with worse hands.

Also, a pot of just 30 BB was destroyed by a shove by a really deep stack. I didn't know what to do and I fold because the possibility of a fullhouse was pretty high in my opinion.

So... what would you do?:eek:

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty small flop bet. You have good blockers. Since we're talking about micro stakes, you might even consider overbetting here, to polarize your range a bit.
The 9x or 9X were part of the V range that is best to block on the flop. You must constantly think about denying equity to your rival. At this time the overbet is not the optimal size for your range, but as a flush line opens it is not bad to try it either and it becomes good since you got your hand. If you decide to overbet, make it a little bigger. 1.5-2x pot might be a better protection size.
River question: did you consider sets in range V on the turn? If the answer is yes, you have made a good decision. Otherwise you represent the strongest part of your range, since you block AK and T full house. On the other hand, you have no diamond or heart suit. Which is good for increasing your opponent's bluff range. The problem is that we are in micro stakes, and players will generally bet with the nuts here. Without specific reads I suppose you can expect a better place in these stakes.
Greetings.

Last edited:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my point of view this all comes down to how good of a player do we think the villain is? If we think they are good then this could be a crazy bluff (not saying it is) but its more possible then if we just treat villain with a population read. I say this because in my opinion you played your hand a little face up post flop. Your bet on the flop was too small so the villain could put you on some sort of draw since if you had a queen or a hand of real strength you would want to protect more than what you did on a board like that. Then on the turn we hit our hand and all the sudden we bet over pot. Villain if they are good could put these things together and know the 9 helped us a lot and we were on a draw going to the turn so we probably have Kx. From there the villain could see the board is double suited and know right off the bat, any heart or diamond comes (if he thinks you are good) he can get you off of what most likely is your straight. Villain could also think there is a chance of doing that with the board pairing anywhere as well, anything that would scare a straight.

I am not saying, because I dont know enough, if thats what they did but it shocks me a bit that they pile 15 times an overbet there. If they have it they must think you will be calling with your straight, otherwise they are giving away value. In the end I agree with your fold decision but I would make a note on this villain and see if they do this again. If they are someone who piles no matter the stacks when they hit it big you will see them do this a lot. If you never see them do this again and play with them many times then you might have got bluffed. Either way in the end I like your fold here as it shows discipline but I would take away from this hand to look at bet sizings and how to differentiate them more to not give away the strength of the hand we have.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty small flop bet. You have good blockers. Since we're talking about micro stakes, you might even consider overbetting here, to polarize your range a bit.
The 9x or 9X were part of the V range that is best to block on the flop. You must constantly think about denying equity to your rival. At this time the overbet is not the optimal size for your range, but as a flush line opens it is not bad to try it either and it becomes good since you got your hand. If you decide to overbet, make it a little bigger. 1.5-2x pot might be a better protection size.
River question: did you consider sets in range V on the turn? If the answer is yes, you have made a good decision. Otherwise you represent the strongest part of your range, since you block AK and T full house. On the other hand, you have no diamond or heart suit. Which is good for increasing your opponent's bluff range. The problem is that we are in micro stakes, and players will generally bet with the nuts here. Without specific reads I suppose you can expect a better place in these stakes.
Greetings.

Hi, thanks for your reply! Yes, I thought that the V got fullhouse. He seems a very pass player, waiting a possible straight or with to pairs, QJ more possible, but also Q9, J9 and blocked but possible JT, QT. Then, fullhouse in the turn and, allin to overbet and confuse.

As you say this stake is pretty tricky. Sometimes they do allin in river to bluff a missed project but also for catch with nuts. So, for all my stack in that kind of play, loosing in a small pot, neh, I prefer to fold

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my point of view this all comes down to how good of a player do we think the villain is? If we think they are good then this could be a crazy bluff (not saying it is) but its more possible then if we just treat villain with a population read. I say this because in my opinion you played your hand a little face up post flop. Your bet on the flop was too small so the villain could put you on some sort of draw since if you had a queen or a hand of real strength you would want to protect more than what you did on a board like that. Then on the turn we hit our hand and all the sudden we bet over pot. Villain if they are good could put these things together and know the 9 helped us a lot and we were on a draw going to the turn so we probably have Kx. From there the villain could see the board is double suited and know right off the bat, any heart or diamond comes (if he thinks you are good) he can get you off of what most likely is your straight. Villain could also think there is a chance of doing that with the board pairing anywhere as well, anything that would scare a straight.

I am not saying, because I dont know enough, if thats what they did but it shocks me a bit that they pile 15 times an overbet there. If they have it they must think you will be calling with your straight, otherwise they are giving away value. In the end I agree with your fold decision but I would make a note on this villain and see if they do this again. If they are someone who piles no matter the stacks when they hit it big you will see them do this a lot. If you never see them do this again and play with them many times then you might have got bluffed. Either way in the end I like your fold here as it shows discipline but I would take away from this hand to look at bet sizings and how to differentiate them more to not give away the strength of the hand we have.

Wow! Thanks for that point of view. Yes, I also thougth that it could be a bluff only for the bet size. Someone with fullhouse would not overbet so high or allin. Or he is a very good player triying to catch me with straight vs fullhouse or he is just a crazy bad bluffer.

If he do this again in the same way, well, very likely he is just a river bluffer. There are some of them in micro stakes.

Folding in Poker