$5 NLHE 6-max: Reraising flop with nut flush draw

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 28/22/3

Villain 28/22/3 after 200 hands. His open range looked quite wide from UTG, only slightly lower RFI than in CO/BTN.

Blinds both had extremely low 3 bet stats and were nitty, villain fold to 3 bet was low, so easy call imo.

Interested in thoughts on:

a) The check raise with the nut flush draw. My check raise range has been non existent and I need to work a few in for value and semi bluffs.

b) Continuing to bet on the turn after villain calls the flop raise and checks the turn. Is it better to now take the free card or continue the aggression? I feel the fold equity here is massively reduced once villain has decided to call on the flop. The advantage to betting again is winning more when I hit the flush, but with only 20% ish equity here that is 1/5 times, while the other 4/5 times I am potentially building the pot for the villain... worked out this time, but that is really no indication of whether it is correct :)

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 117.4 BB
SB: 102.8 BB
BB: 70 BB
UTG: 210 BB
MP: 100 BB
CO: 75.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 8 A

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.4 BB, 2 players) 6 Q T
UTG bets 6 BB, Hero raises to 15.6 BB, UTG calls 9.6 BB

Turn: (38.6 BB, 2 players) 8
UTG checks, Hero bets 20 BB, UTG calls 20 BB

River: (78.6 BB, 2 players) 9
UTG bets 75 BB, Hero raises to 78.8 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 3.8 BB

Hero shows 8 A (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 59%, Flop 66%, Turn 75%)
UTG shows K J (Straight, King High)
(Pre 41%, Flop 34%, Turn 25%)
Hero wins 222.4 BB

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the way i played it probably just calling the flop & then folding the turn if UTG betting pot size again or calling their 1/2 pot

but as played, it become more interesting because after your mid raise on the flop they just check the flop so the range became narrower to just something like top pair or worse draw (straight draw - weaker flush).

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice hand and all that, but I don't understand how your raise on the flop was a check/raise. You had position and just raised.

And doing that with the nut flush draw is pretty standard, as you have a lot of equity and are building the pot if you hit.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah my bad, wrote that out wrong.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not quite sure about the flop raise.... Because the fold equity would very much come from hands you have a slight advantage against anyway and where you might realize your equity from A-high very often.

As played I would check on turn since you got some equity there and there are some AJ, AK-like combinations in his flop calling range.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: loose-ish flat, ATs/A9s+ are better.

F: easy call to realize our equity. Yes, GTO says raise +-25% of the time, but for nl5 just call.

Nothing is folding to a small raise (2.6x) on that drawy flop.

T: as played, easy check behind to realize our equity. Barrelling is slightly spewy.

R: as played, fine.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P: loose-ish flat, ATs/A9s+ are better.

F: easy call to realize our equity. Yes, GTO says raise +-25% of the time, but for nl5 just call.

Nothing is folding to a small raise (2.6x) on that drawy flop.

T: as played, easy check behind to realize our equity. Barrelling is slightly spewy.

R: as played, fine.

Thanks. Two questions:
1. Are you raising combo draws in spots like these rather than just calling or checking to realize equity? (eg if we have something with 50-60% equity rather than down in the 35-40% range with OESD and flush draws)
2. If I can exploit nitty villains by semi bluffing them with the 8-9 out draws should I do this with a solid read/stats or still play it cool and try to realize equity and win a bigger pot, albeit less often? There are guys in this 5nl pool who never seem to float and I have figured out I can massively boost my red line just by bleeding people dry with post flop aggression if I pay attention to who just gives up on flop or turn and who is sticky all the way to river..

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
well played, and got paid also

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks. Two questions:
1. Are you raising combo draws in spots like these rather than just calling or checking to realize equity? (eg if we have something with 50-60% equity rather than down in the 35-40% range with OESD and flush draws)
2. If I can exploit nitty villains by semi bluffing them with the 8-9 out draws should I do this with a solid read/stats or still play it cool and try to realize equity and win a bigger pot, albeit less often? There are guys in this 5nl pool who never seem to float and I have figured out I can massively boost my red line just by bleeding people dry with post flop aggression if I pay attention to who just gives up on flop or turn and who is sticky all the way to river..
Generally in micros, it's better to play passively postflop vs the population.

No problem deviating from above with reads.

Forget red line in micros.

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like previously mentioned, in general there should be some randomization for raising on the flop, but it is probably a very small percentage of the time in this particular situation going against an UTG raiser who also led on the flop for almost a pot size bet. Implied odds are already great considering this action, so I think it is unnecessary to raise here. Especially at 5NL like previously mentioned.

I also believe that a check behind on the turn to realize equity is the right move, considering if we hit on the river, we are in position to get a lot, if not all, of his money into the middle, which you end up doing.

I do have to say that I am a little confused with his turn call considering how poor of odds he was getting to hit, and when you call his preflop raise you could potentially have some two pairs or sets on that board. But I guess that's also 5NL for ya.

Prince Mantis

Prince Mantis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, raising flop is to agressive our A-high sometimes is going to be good, but still I do not mind to raise vs that type of player he is loose even for 6max table but generally raise here is overplaying our hand.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you know he's weak, rising the flop is fine. Most times against non-weak players I would just call the flop and see what he does on the turn.
Q and T likely hit his range in some way, so I doubt you're gonna get him to lay down. You have (maybe) 12 outs. I would rather raise on a low card flop. If you raise up the pot and miss, you gotta risk more to river bluff.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its sort of hard to mess this hand up.
Preflop ; solid
Flop ; solid as played, good spot to checkraise as well, I think you will fold out a lot of AK and show an immediate profit from it
Turn ; The only part of the hand I dont agree with, I would be checking this as played and taking the equity, assuming your hand might be good at showdown here pretty frequently.
River; Standard

Full Flush Poker