$5 NLHE 6-max: recent downswing quick look at a few hands

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been on a bit of a downswing recently ive moved down to 2nl zoom and playing cash game tables 5nl on nights wanted to share some hands to get an opinion

Hand one

pokerstars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com
HAND ONE
CO: 118.4 BB
BTN: 75.8 BB
SB: 442.8 BB
BB: 93.6 BB
Hero (UTG): 101 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Js As
Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, SB raises to 12.4 BB, fold, Hero calls 9.4 BB, fold

Flop : (28.8 BB, 2 players) 3s 6h Ac
SB bets 10.8 BB, Hero calls 10.8 BB

Turn : (50.4 BB, 2 players) Jd
SB checks, Hero checks

River : (50.4 BB, 2 players) 8s
SB bets 22 BB, Hero raises to 77.8 BB and is all-in,

villain is 23/13 11%3b 62 hands

looking back I dont like jamming river I think it gets JJ and slow played AA to call too often and not always KK QQ
reasoning on checking turn I think he can still have some KK QQ AQs/o AK/s/o also A2s A4s A5s that all of course we get value from but might be unsure of BUT if we x behind he might think KK QQ KJo/s QJo/s is good here and KQ or some random airball like T9s he might try to bluff with here sometimes
he's oop so we get to see if he bets river but if we bet turn/R. I dont think all of them hands will call
let me know your thoughts on turn x and raise on the river (I dont agree with my own play on river )

hand 2

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 305.5 BB
Hero (SB): 138.5 BB
BB: 140 BB
UTG: 48 BB
MP: 139 BB
CO: 155 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Ad As
fold, MP raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, MP calls 7 BB

Flop : (19 BB, 2 players) 5d 8d 2h
Hero bets 10 BB, MP calls 10 BB

Turn : (39 BB, 2 players) 3s
Hero bets 25.5 BB, MP calls 25.5 BB

River : (90 BB, 2 players) Jh
Hero bets 94 BB and is all-in, MP calls 94 BB

vilain is 22/21 fold to 3b 1/7 (14%)

I think this is a standard line with AA here we are a little bit deeper but shouldn't effect this hand too much just trying to get anyone to call down with TT/QQ here JJ obviously beats us and 88's but would be a little bit loose to call pre

opinions on this hand ?

HAND 3

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

CO: 105.6 BB
BTN: 333.4 BB
SB: 107.4 BB
BB: 225.8 BB
Hero (UTG): 100 BB
MP: 101.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Qh Ah
Hero raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 2.6 BB, fold

Flop : (10 BB, 3 players) 3d Ts Ac
SB bets 5 BB, Hero calls 5 BB, fold

Turn : (20 BB, 2 players) 4s
SB bets 13 BB, Hero calls 13 BB

River : (46 BB, 2 players) 7c
SB bets 29 BB, Hero calls 29 BB

villain is 30/20 over 30 hands 3b 0/13

I think my call on the river might be very marginal judging by bet sizing and how strong the line looks I think F/T is fine donking flop in general looks a little bit fishy unless hes a reg which I can see some merit for some of the time

its standard for me to call flop and turn with this kind of hand and folding some rivers versus regs but if he is a little fishy he might lead with QTo/s 9Ts KTs AJs/o , JJ, QQ KQs/o KJs/o QJs/o 45s no idea how much of this he will lead on the river apart from his give-ups with air

turn and river for me are bricks anyway unless he he improves to specifically A4s or A7s which is only good for me anyway I dont think he will lead 44/77 on flop

his value hands are TT 33 ATo/s this is why its tough because we only lose to 6 combos but it looks very value heavy

tell me if you think river call is marginal

thanks for looking at my hands and let me know if you've got some you will want looking at

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the 1st hand, I don't think your river jam is bad. You've got the highest 2 pr and are only behind sets. Since you posted this hand, it's highly likely that you lost to a set, but that doesn't make your play bad.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand1
You could fold to the 3-bet. AJs is very borderline, when you open UTG and gets 3-bet. Flop is a standard defend. On the turn you improve to top two, and now I think, you have a simple bet turn, jam river situation. As played still jamming river. If he had a AA or JJ, its just a gross cooler. If he had 88, you created your own cooler by checking back turn and giving him that free card. 88 is never paying a river bet unimproved, so no point in keeping that kind of hand involved by getting tricky trappy. Just make the simple play for value. Some players will check AK/AQ type hands on the turn for pot control and to induce bluffs.

Hand2
I think, this is an overplay. This is actually a rather poopy spot for aces, when you think about ranges. You are a little big deep, and this is made worse by the fact, he only mini-raised, which led to your 3-bet coming in smaller. I love your sizing, but its still smaller than, if he had used the standard 3BB raise. This gives him more room to get involved with speculative hands, and some players also use a strategy, where they mini-raise speculative hands but go larger with big value hands.

So its quite likely, he has one of those speculative hands. And needless to say that kind of range is all over this board. You on the other hand can only have JJ and A4s, which connected with the board. So he clearly has the nut advantage, and that call for some pot control. Maybe size the turn bet smaller and go for another small bet on the river, or even a check-to-induce type of line. With your line I think, you only get action, when you are beat, and maybe from exactly QQ.

Hand3
Kind of a sucky spot, especially since there are not really any draws, he can be donk betting with. So it does smell like a flopped set or two pair type hand. But your hand is so strong, that you would likely have gone for 3 streets of value, had he checked to you. His donk betting did not win him anything extra, so I would also call down, and who knows, sometimes he might show up with AJ or something completely weird. You only need to be good 27% of the time or so.

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks guys for your opinions I do agree with most things you said
I did have monsters in the bed at this time thinking I was going to lose every single hand because they just seemed to have it

that said I probably would have played the first hand as a bet T. jam R. which I think is fine and would have been doing it before
also I like checking this spot sometimes 88 is not very likely and KK QQ AK AQ
still get a bet river and some of the hands I mentioned before ( x turn to induce bluffs on river is a spot ive been trying recently too and people do just bluff garbage ive seen) but once we jam R. I dont think KK QQ AK call often enough and I think its only a set

hand 2
I think its more marginal than I first thought it does suck when we lose to sets and wheel straights but 88 JJ 6 combos and QQ 6 combos I dont think he would call two streets w/ A4s if we have Ad which we block flush draws that means he will call w/ GS non fd outs that would make him 3 clean outs so to be betting river we need some random call pre that somehow calls river like TT's AJ KJ
this is why I think it might be closer than I thought

hand 3
I agree with you fundiver betting river is bet fold to raise kind of spot if the board gets scarier but going for three streets is fine
I think river is a sigh call with the same opinion with you on him sometimes doing this with some kind of AIR ball against a reg it might be a little different depending on reads

let me know if you want me to post some results

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands