$5 NLHE 6-max: Quads vs Quads

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 35/20/2.8

Hi everyone, so this is it, how jinxed can you be to flop the nuts and get outrivered ?
I am holding 77, just sat at the table, second hand I play HJ
Villain at the UTG+1 & SB.
PFR UTG +200BB 3x, I call 99 BB, SB tries to steal with 12x UTG+ calls, I call aswell.
Flop 77T, SB R-18x, UTG-C H-C.
Turn, T, SB checks, UTG bets 18x, I call SB moves in. UTG calls, and of course I call.
River T.
UTG+1 had TJs, SB QQ and me I am just too jinxed. It is hard to fold a set, let alone a fullhouse, but quads, baby I am not going anywhere!
What went wrong? I mean they were building the pot for me, no need to ruin it for them I guessed, so what the effing gee went wrong here?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Congratulations! You just suffered the worst beat in Holdem postflop, where your opponent needs two exact cards and they both have to come on the turn and the river.

Look at it more as a 'coming of age' in your poker career than a 'what went wrong' scenario.

You have many other things like this to look forward to! Quads beaten by a rivered gutshot straight flush etc etc.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Where was this hand played? It seems like a super bad beat to me and I would possibly take a break if a situation like this happened to me.
I have lost against royal flush, straight flush, but never with quads vs quads.
Greetings.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Total posts
Yea, runner runner two outter is the worst possible beat post flop but really the SB wasn't stealing. He had QQ and put in a well warranted 3B. After TT calls from UTG I don't think we have odds to set mine. It's possible they both have AJs+ type hands but it will be very difficult to realize your equity with 77 in a 3 way pot without hitting a set. I think a fold pre is in order. Post flop you have position and the board is double paired. I think you played it perfectly post flop. There aren't many action killing cards on a run out like this with this kind of action.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Preflop
I agree with cOrnBr34d, that calling the 3-bet with 77 is a little questionable, when the effective stack was only 100BB against the 3-better.

Flop
Absolutely no reason to raise quads. You are so far ahead, that you actually want your opponents to catch up, and with position its very easy to get the money in on the turn or river.

Turn
This is a great turn card for you, because if someone have a T, you are 100% sure to get stacks in now. SB check, and UTG+1 takes over the betting lead. He bets kind of small, but once again there is zero reason to raise, since you can just stick the rest in on the river. SB now check-jam, UTG+1 call, and of course you have a very easy overcall. You only lose to TT, and there is only 1 combo of that hand available.

Results
You ask, what when wrong, and apart from the somewhat questionable call preflop nothing went wrong. You got it in 3-way on the turn with almost 98% equity, and this is about as good, as it ever gets. Also remember that before the bad beat happened, you had put a massive cooler on the guy with JT. He was only behind to exactly one combo of 77. So you having that exact hand sucked just as much for him, as the river sucked for you.

If the hands were reversed, you would also stack off JT on the turn 100% of the time, and then you would also spike the 1-outer on the river 1 out of 42 times. For that reason set-up hands or coolers like this are just a wash in the long run. All the money has to go in, and then someone will come out as the winner. This is not, where you find or lose edge, yet they are the hands, people often tend to care most about.

As gustav197poker say, if a hand like this sets you off, it can be a good idea to take even just a 5 minute break to regain your composure. And then just get back to the tables and grind on. And of course be properly bankrolled. For 5NL I recommend having at least 150$ or 30BI deposited at the poker site, and more is frankly better.