M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 66/47/53

Hi all

I just wanted to check a recent hand that I played with you all and see what you think

NL Holdem 0.05(BB)
UTG ($5.14) [VPIP: 22.4% | PFR: 7.9% | AGG: 25% | hands: 76]
HJ ($5.05) [VPIP: 25.8% | PFR: 16.1% | AGG: 28.6% | Hands: 62]
CO ($5.42) [VPIP: 14.1% | PFR: 9.4% | AGG: 28.6% | Hands: 64]
HERO ($5.96) [VPIP: 19.8% | PFR: 15.4% | AGG: 31.8% | Flop Agg: 55.9% | Turn Agg: 49.4% | River Agg: 36.8% | 3-Bet: 9.4% | 4-Bet: 5.1% | Hands: 17406]
SB ($11) [VPIP: 19.6% | PFR: 5.4% | AGG: 14.3% | Hands: 189]
BB ($8.78) [VPIP: 65.8% | PFR: 46.6% | AGG: 52.9% | Flop Agg: 56.7% | Turn Agg: 46.2% | River Agg: 50% | 3-Bet: 9.5% | Fold to 3-Bet: 80% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 75]

Dealt to Hero: 9 Q

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.12, SB Folds, BB Raises To $0.30, HERO Calls $0.18

Hero SPR on Flop: [9.13 effective]
Flop ($0.62): 6 5 Q
BB Checks, HERO Bets $0.31 (Rem. Stack: $5.35), BB Calls $0.31 (Rem. Stack: $8.17)

Turn ($1.24): 6 5 Q Q
BB Checks, HERO Bets $0.62 (Rem. Stack: $4.73), BB Calls $0.62 (Rem. Stack: $7.55)

River ($2.48): 6 5 Q Q 4
BB Bets $7.55 (allin), HERO Folds

BB wins: $2.38

I have been facing this sort of river action a lot recently.
Similar sort of hand with pocket 99's (made set on flop) facing very large river over bet when flush completes. (as well as others)
If the river bet was reasonable I may think about a call as a bluff catcher but I just don't see how MDF can come into play against such crazyness.

All thoughts and opinions most welcolme

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in the end you just have to go with it. Villains stats are unbelievably aggrofish. bluffing at every opportunity seems like something they would do. It’s just hard luck if it turns out they have got it.
I think aswell as the hand plays out you could definitely size up the bets. Probably potting all the way down.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does seem that given villain's stats, you're going to have to widen your calling range in spots like that.

In this case, trip queens may not be a fist pump call, but should be a call.

K

Kaleiduo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With super aggro fish like this, often I like to just let them hang themselves so to speak by letting them bet and me calling. Either that or really applying the pressure by 3-betting over and over. I don't think it's wrong to hero call here, but we should be aware that at the micros, we should respect river bets more often than flop bets, even from aggro fish.

That said, folding here is fine. Find a better spot against villain with better hole cards and a better board than this one.

Also, I wonder if calling a 3-bet pf with Q9s is the best choice? Maybe someone else can speak to what a good range for this against aggro fish like this.

Last edited:
freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldnt have call the 3bet withat that hand,is not good enough. I would have check back F,there are a lot off beater Qx than your,plus when an agro fish(is very low sample but u can say allready he is a fish) check flop he is traping u for sure.
My advise to adapt to thouse player is simple open less hands so when they try to exploit u with louse 3bets ur rang is very strong.

M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses so far, very useful to think about.

As far as calling the 3 bet because it was so small I was getting 2.33/1 in position I would have hoped that would be good enough to realise 30% equity.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 66/47/53

Hi all

I just wanted to check a recent hand that I played with you all and see what you think

NL Holdem 0.05(BB)
UTG ($5.14) [VPIP: 22.4% | PFR: 7.9% | AGG: 25% | Hands: 76]
HJ ($5.05) [VPIP: 25.8% | PFR: 16.1% | AGG: 28.6% | Hands: 62]
CO ($5.42) [VPIP: 14.1% | PFR: 9.4% | AGG: 28.6% | Hands: 64]
HERO ($5.96) [VPIP: 19.8% | PFR: 15.4% | AGG: 31.8% | Flop Agg: 55.9% | Turn Agg: 49.4% | River Agg: 36.8% | 3-Bet: 9.4% | 4-Bet: 5.1% | Hands: 17406]
SB ($11) [VPIP: 19.6% | PFR: 5.4% | AGG: 14.3% | Hands: 189]
BB ($8.78) [VPIP: 65.8% | PFR: 46.6% | AGG: 52.9% | Flop Agg: 56.7% | Turn Agg: 46.2% | River Agg: 50% | 3-Bet: 9.5% | Fold to 3-Bet: 80% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 75]

Dealt to Hero: 9 Q

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.12, SB Folds, BB Raises To $0.30, HERO Calls $0.18

Hero SPR on Flop: [9.13 effective]
Flop ($0.62): 6 5 Q
BB Checks, HERO Bets $0.31 (Rem. Stack: $5.35), BB Calls $0.31 (Rem. Stack: $8.17)

Turn ($1.24): 6 5 Q Q
BB Checks, HERO Bets $0.62 (Rem. Stack: $4.73), BB Calls $0.62 (Rem. Stack: $7.55)

River ($2.48): 6 5 Q Q 4
BB Bets $7.55 (allin), HERO Folds

BB wins: $2.38

I have been facing this sort of river action a lot recently.
Similar sort of hand with pocket 99's (made set on flop) facing very large river over bet when flush completes. (as well as others)
If the river bet was reasonable I may think about a call as a bluff catcher but I just don't see how MDF can come into play against such crazyness.

All thoughts and opinions most welcolme

You shouldn't be betting on the flop, just because Villain/BB checked for you: the reason is very easy, when we do call 3-bet preflop our range becomes capped for medium-weak hands, so we don't own, we cannot represent a stronger part of the range.
In this case, we cannot be betting vs missed c-bet because BB can have QT, QJ, KQ and AQ.
By the same token we don't expect many 66 and 55 into BB's range, but we assume that KQ and AQ are possibilities plus KK+.
Our equity to be betting on the flop sucks, our hands have still showdown value enough to try to get to a cheap river, so if we do check flops like this more often we are doing great.
What I am saying is that if we do get a top pair with bad kicker but at least a flush draw, a straight draw or a gutshot we can be bluffing more because our hand has potential for streets to come but in this case, even when you hit another queen OTT/OTR, we are still losing for QT, QJ, KQ and AQ, I don't need to say anything more. :D

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't be betting on the flop, just because Villain/BB checked for you: the reason is very easy, when we do call 3-bet preflop our range becomes capped for medium-weak hands, so we don't own, we cannot represent a stronger part of the range.
In this case, we cannot be betting vs missed c-bet because BB can have QT, QJ, KQ and AQ.
By the same token we don't expect many 66 and 55 into BB's range, but we assume that KQ and AQ are possibilities plus KK+.
Our equity to be betting on the flop sucks, our hands have still showdown value enough to try to get to a cheap river, so if we do check flops like this more often we are doing great.
What I am saying is that if we do get a top pair with bad kicker but at least a flush draw, a straight draw or a gutshot we can be bluffing more because our hand has potential for streets to come but in this case, even when you hit another queen OTT/OTR, we are still losing for QT, QJ, KQ and AQ, I don't need to say anything more. :D

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Thank you for this very helpful.

Some hypotheticals to follow up with:
1. I check flop, villain bets turn (some reasonable amount less than full pot) should I call turn evaluate river based on bet size?

2. I check flop, villain checks turn do I bet or check?

3. I check flop, Turn goes check check. villain jams river

Sorry for the questions I'm still trying to wrap my head around this, but thank you again for all the help.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just the case when you need to cheaply get to the river. Check-call flop, check-call turn and see what he will do on the river. You have to fold all-in on the river, because these are micro limits and we have a very dominant hand. So - we don't catch a bluff here.