$5 NLHE 6-max: QJs on BTN squeeze or call?

S

synkro7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.02/$0.05 No Limit Holdem
PokerStars
6 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
UTG Cristianocfv ($83.2BB) 83bb
UTG+1 Saatchi656 ($261.4BB) 261bb
CO DaferSPb ($163.2BB) 163bb
BTN Hero ($126.4BB) 126bb
SB Alexandr_Suh ($101.8BB) 102bb
BB Sitela ($104.2BB) 104bb

Pre-Flop: (1.4BB, 6 players) Hero is BTN Q J
Cristianocfv calls 1BB, Saatchi656 raises to 4.2BB, DaferSPb calls 4.2BB, Hero raises to 20BB, 2 folds, Cristianocfv folds, Saatchi656 folds, DaferSPb calls 15.8BB

Flop: 2 7 8 ($46.6BB, 2 players)

DaferSPb checks, Hero checks

Turn: K ($46.6BB, 2)

DaferSPb bets 22.4BB, Hero calls 22.4BB

River: 10 ($91.4BB, 2)

DaferSPb bets 43.8BB, Hero goes all-in 84BB, DaferSPb calls 40.2BB

Hello, stats on villains:

MP is 29/21 reggy looking guy after 68 hands
CO 51/15 recreational after 50 hands, on 1/16 occassions he made a 3bet
SB is inactive 12/8 after 25 hands
BB seems a reggy looking guy 24/17/7.4 3b after 84 hands

My questions for preflop are:
1. Is QJs better as a squeeze or cold call? How does CO being recreational+blinds being on a reggy side influence range I should be playing?
2. Not sure about sizing of squeeze - 4-5x the raise is ok? Went bigger to build a pot vs rec.

Flop:
I decided to go for a checkback. Board is good for his range, SPR is already low and vs a check/raise I'm gonna have a hard decision. Also it's hard to predict what a recreational can do. By checking I can realize my equity and I need only 2 streets for value to get the stacks in.

Turn:
Scary card comes on the turn but it should be scary for his range and not mine.. I need 25% equity but I guess I have implied odds.

Thanks

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$0.02/$0.05 No Limit Holdem
PokerStars
6 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
UTG Cristianocfv ($83.2BB) 83bb
UTG+1 Saatchi656 ($261.4BB) 261bb
CO DaferSPb ($163.2BB) 163bb
BTN Hero ($126.4BB) 126bb
SB Alexandr_Suh ($101.8BB) 102bb
BB Sitela ($104.2BB) 104bb

Pre-Flop: (1.4BB, 6 players) Hero is BTN Q J
Cristianocfv calls 1BB, Saatchi656 raises to 4.2BB, DaferSPb calls 4.2BB, Hero raises to 20BB, 2 folds, Cristianocfv folds, Saatchi656 folds, DaferSPb calls 15.8BB

Flop: 2 7 8 ($46.6BB, 2 players)

DaferSPb checks, Hero checks

Turn: K ($46.6BB, 2)

DaferSPb bets 22.4BB, Hero calls 22.4BB

River: 10 ($91.4BB, 2)

DaferSPb bets 43.8BB, Hero goes all-in 84BB, DaferSPb calls 40.2BB

Hello, stats on villains:

MP is 29/21 reggy looking guy after 68 hands
CO 51/15 recreational after 50 hands, on 1/16 occassions he made a 3bet
SB is inactive 12/8 after 25 hands
BB seems a reggy looking guy 24/17/7.4 3b after 84 hands

My questions for preflop are:
1. Is QJs better as a squeeze or cold call? How does CO being recreational+blinds being on a reggy side influence range I should be playing?
2. Not sure about sizing of squeeze - 4-5x the raise is ok? Went bigger to build a pot vs rec.

Flop:
I decided to go for a checkback. Board is good for his range, SPR is already low and vs a check/raise I'm gonna have a hard decision. Also it's hard to predict what a recreational can do. By checking I can realize my equity and I need only 2 streets for value to get the stacks in.

Turn:
Scary card comes on the turn but it should be scary for his range and not mine.. I need 25% equity but I guess I have implied odds.

Thanks

1. I like the squeeze with QJdd on the button, it plays well post flop. but honestly before I make the decision to squeeze I consider my perceived range. How have I played up to this point, Have a made a button squeeze prior. What's my image..

Second part of your first question I feel like if anything you want the CO to come along after a squeeze... I feel like you will be able to outplay the recreational player post flop and the Regs are gonna realize playing a bloated pot OOP against you is not a good idea unless they are near the top of their range.

As far as your range it can really open up in these spots because generally the only OOP calls you're gonna get are from strong hands and bad players. You will get the occasional reg that thinks you're stealing and rip it on you, but for the most part you will be up against a pretty polarized range so it's easy to turn your hand into a bluff if need be post flop.

2. I'm fine with the sizing people can argue sizing all day until they are blue in the face, but the point is to put the amount in that you feel will get the job done.

Flop:

I like the check

Turn:

I agree. villain would need to have lower FD or set to have implied odds because you aren't getting paid against small pocket pairs or straight draws

Overall I like the way the hand was played I would have played it the same, and I'm glad you got there. It generally goes brick on the river for me lol

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think over the long run a squeeze is the best play. Utg+1 can raise over the limp with a wide range.

The way you played post flop is fine however I'd rather bet flop and turn and be the aggressor. Your not always going to hit your flush so betting gives you more opportunities to win the pot. If villain raises you can the evaluate pot odds your being given.

Villains range is capped when he calls preflop so you can have all the big hands here so I like betting.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering it's an ISO limp from a reg, a squeeze is the better player there.

As played, you should be betting the flop some of the time there. Probably 30/70, not sure exactly what solvers would say but somewhere in that range. The remaining of the hand is std. nh.

CheesyToast

CheesyToast

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the squeeze is okay, with a merged range (you're expecting to be better than a decent amount of his calling range, but your hand certainly isn't premium or a bluff). On the flop, I likely would have bet. The flop should only be good for his low pocket pairs, and a brick for much of his range like AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, so I think you have some fold equity against those hands, in addition to your two over and your flush draw. If he check raises, I would put his range well into the two-pairs/sets range. I don't see too many players at this level incorporating draws that are anything but their strongest draws in their check range area, so I think you could comfortably fold to the check raise unless it's a min-raise. Nice hand overall.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your squeeze size is too big. You folded out the rec player.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your squeeze size is too big. You folded out the rec player.

?? The Rec is the one who flat the open and then flat the squeeze... the Rec was daferspb that was in the cut off. The squeeze targeted the Rec?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop think sizing is good and gives you decent fold equity (I normally recommend 3x + 1x for every caller the original bet) with a limper a raiser and a caller that makes a 4.5 raise good. I like both squeezing and just flat calling with QJs as someone mentioned it depends on your image (when it is tight I like to squeeze more).

Flop:
In my opinion this is a good flop for your perceived range so I would normally tend to bet the hand on this type of flop and expect decent fold equity (the reg did not 4 bet so hes less likely to have AA/KK then you). The problem with raising here is though that as you have a flush draw a big check raise would not be what you want so I like checking the flop back here.

Turn:
A K hits the board and now the reg bets out. Would call here also as if he has AK or better hes not likely to fold against a bet of you on the river when you hit your flush.

River:
You hit your flush comes and villain bets out and you go all-in. Would play the same and hope that he does not have a better flush.

Nice play!

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
?? The Rec is the one who flat the open and then flat the squeeze... the Rec was daferspb that was in the cut off. The squeeze targeted the Rec?

I was referring to Cristianov who limped in early position.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's clearly a weaker player (by open limping), so squeezing to a slightly smaller size might have kept him in the pot. Not a bad result.

Then you have position on everyone with a hand that flops really well.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's clearly a weaker player (by open limping), so squeezing to a slightly smaller size might have kept him in the pot. Not a bad result.

We want folds pre if we raise QJs. Also if we get the limper in the pot then the other two will call and we will go 4 ways to the flop, maybe more if the blinds join in. So squeeze big, or call and play with the limper, either play is fine IMO.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I disagree,

not even about the fact that open limping could or could not mean they are a weak player. Seeing a player open limp (one) hand in a session does not classify them as a bad player. and QJdd it's not a value squeeze you are certainly squeezing with intent to take it down pre. All you're doing with a lower bet size is inviting more players into the pot which is a terrible idea.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree,

not even about the fact that open limping could or could not mean they are a weak player. Seeing a player open limp (one) hand in a session does not classify them as a bad player. and QJdd it's not a value squeeze you are certainly squeezing with intent to take it down pre. All you're doing with a lower bet size is inviting more players into the pot which is a terrible idea.

I disagree