Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: $5.60 (112 bb)
MP (Hero): $5.28 (106 bb)
CO: $5.07 (101 bb)
BU: $3.36 (67 bb)
SB: $6.07 (121 bb)
BB: $6.38 (128 bb) VPIP/PFR/3bet 23/13/6.7 over 30 hands

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is MP with J J
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.12, 3 players fold, BB 3-bets to $0.35, Hero calls $0.23

Flop: ($0.72) 4 3 A (2 players)
BB bets $0.23, Hero calls $0.23

Turn: ($1.18) A (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.18) 2 (2 players)
BB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.80, BB calls $1.20

Flop call is probably a blunder vs BB 3bet range.

As played, chose to bluff-raise on the river as I believe BB is capped to KK (as many would just barrel OTT with big aces), and my range should have some Aces that I didn't stab on the turn and occasionally 65hh.

Your view?

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me to run this exploitative bluff I need more information on the villain. Does he 3-bet wide or only w/ nut hand. Does he ever runs any tricky play? In NL5 there are lots of weird plays like bet small OTF with two pairs and then check OTT. Moreover he is not always folding KK at river facing aggression, because he may assume you should bet w/ A either at flop or turn.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer fold. Your logic is correct, but I think this "logic" will be a problem at this limit. I mean it is not good to try to outplay the people on NL5. Some regs maybe..Will be Ok.

As default is bad. Because he may play like that with KK and QQ, with Ax, but also with possible bluffs (preflop). And this possible bluff range usually is Ax heavy. Vs his entire range your hand is weak. But the size is too small, you also have :jh4:. Can't be a "blunder" :D.

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think river is a fold. Just as when the second ace comes, you thought he was less likely to have one, he was probably thinking the same thing so didn't believe your river raise.

On that board, JJ is a bluff catcher.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I think you should be raising a bit bigger, not that it matters in this hand but I think you should probably go no smaller than 3x in cash games. I would not be folding JJ there to a 3 bet so I obviously get the call but I would already be thinking that we are well behind here and I am probably just set mining at this point unless I am up against AK or AQ. Few hands on villain but with 6.7% 3 bet they do have some 3 bet bluffs but we cant count on that.

The hard part about the flop decision stems from the bet sizing. On face value this is a fold because we are likely behind a bigger pocket pair or an Ax however we are getting 4 to 1 and I dont think it the most terrible thing on earth to peel here but we would still have to know we are peeling while being most likely behind. You would need to know here that you can get villain off whatever they have at some point. I am not sure that we can do that but again, for the price I dont hate calling. If this bet was larger (even close to half pot) I would be folding easily here.

The turn is a weird card here because it hurts you against KK and QQ type hands and obviously the Ax hands villain could have. I am not sure what we would be beating at this point but if I was going to bluff in this hand this would be the spot I would do it. They checked to us (which could still be a sign of strength) but if they are ever going to fold KK or QQ (not saying they will) it would be here. I could be on board with a turn bluff bet here that is sizable. Something in the neighborhood of 60% of pot. Making this bet I know we are not leading here but if you are going to call the flop, you do it knowing you will have to take a shot somewhere in the hand to try to steal it. This is a better spot to take it away then on the river.

If you do not bet the turn, which I am fine with (above was more just a thought rather than a DO IT), then the river is a fold. I doubt villain would lead out half pot here with 1010 and probably would not even lead with KK or QQ here but would check and hope you checked behind or just be prepared to call your river bet if you did so and bluff catch. I dont see many instances where you could be ahead so raising now makes little sense. I think it is harder to convince the villain that we have an ace with the river bet compared to betting on the turn. Villain also knows that since you initially raised pre flop, you have very few or any 5x in your range other than 55 or a very outside chance of A5 suited which they can discount because two aces are on the board so you cant rep the straight either.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The texture is not good for turning our hand into an OTR bluff. In this board the AX are neutralized with the Axs, even the times that we can represent them it will be easier for the villain to abandon his low / medium pockets like: 66-99 and continue with the upper part of his range: QQ; KK AA, while eliminating his possible bluff range as KT; QK; etc.
Greetings.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: $5.60 (112 bb)
MP (Hero): $5.28 (106 bb)
CO: $5.07 (101 bb)
BU: $3.36 (67 bb)
SB: $6.07 (121 bb)
BB: $6.38 (128 bb) VPIP/PFR/3bet 23/13/6.7 over 30 hands

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is MP with J J
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.12, 3 players fold, BB 3-bets to $0.35, Hero calls $0.23

Flop: ($0.72) 4 3 A (2 players)
BB bets $0.23, Hero calls $0.23

Turn: ($1.18) A (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.18) 2 (2 players)
BB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.80, BB calls $1.20

As played, chose to bluff-raise on the river as I believe BB is capped to KK (as many would just barrel OTT with big aces), and my range should have some Aces that I didn't stab on the turn and occasionally 65hh.

Your view?

In my experience bb 3bets at zoom nl5 are either way to tight or to way too loose. So calling flop here with JJ really comes down to OOPs 3betting range.
Therefore as this is a regular table I would lean towards way to tight. Also I don't like that you choose JhJx to call here, since blocking Jh decreases the potential FD in Vs range drastically. Also I see no Szenario were you make the nuts apart from JJ turn river or runner flush with exactly Kh Qh comning so flop would be a fold for me.

Edit: you could also still make boats with J hitting and board paring, but the point stands, way to unlikely and I wouldnt want to hero JJ over multiple streets.

Given the action I think river was indeed a punt. You are repping either low PPs Ax wich are fairly low combos, so he is never folding KK QQ or Ax and as said he doesnt have a lot of bluffs since we block so many Jx.

Last edited: