$5 NLHE 6-max: Noob Questions: AKs OOP.. all-in pre?

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in can't be right due to the math (vs KK, QQ, AA) but how else do we profitably play this?

Yatahay Network - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 62.6 BB
BB: 246.2 BB
Hero (UTG): 108.4 BB
CO: 79.6 BB
BTN: 110.6 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:spade: K:spade:

Hero raises to 3.4 BB, fold, BTN raises to 9.8 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 30.8 BB, BTN raises to 51.8 BB, Hero raises to 108.4 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 56.6 BB

Flop: (218.2 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond: J:diamond: 9:spade:

Turn: (218.2 BB, 2 players) K:heart:

River: (218.2 BB, 2 players) 3:spade:

Hero shows A:spade: K:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Threes)
(Pre 12%, Flop 6%, Turn 5%)
BTN shows A:club: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Threes)
(Pre 88%, Flop 94%, Turn 95%)
BTN wins 207.4 BB

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then how to play in this spot with AKo?

Yatahay Network - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 35.4 BB
SB: 244.2 BB
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 179 BB
CO: 239.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:heart: A:spade:

UTG raises to 3.2 BB, fold, BTN calls 3.2 BB, SB raises to 7.4 BB, fold, fold, fold

SB wins 10.6 BB

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First hand:
I believe the old adage goes "five bet means Aces".

Unless you know your opponent very well, the adage should be respected here. You're getting it All In on a six bet knowing that you're behind.

Second hand:
You won 6.8 BB, good hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1
Your 4-bet was very large. I would typically prefer to make it a bit smaller. As played its obviously really gross, when he click it back. But even you are getting a good price, pot odds kind of dont matter, since you can not put in half your stack and then fold later, and neither can he. So you kind of have to consider this an effective shove. Moreover he is NEVER doing this as a bluff, because he is risking his entire stack while increasing the chance, you come along. He always has KK or AA here, and for that reason I would just fold.

Hand 2
SB made a silly undersized 3-bet. You have position on him, so this is a mandatory 4-bet. Once again if he 5-bet, it could be ok to fold.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first hand it is not profitable to call a 5bet (4bet) out of position and keep half a stack for the post flop game. This is simply a flip situation, so following a standard line, it is correct to play push from this place.
In the second hand, you have played with -ev for the long term. Your hand reduces the chances of including aces and kings in rank v, so you should avoid putting dead money and building a multi-way boat. This can only be achieved through an increase. If you receive another attack, you can evaluate between continuing or abandoning your hand, according to the readings you have of active villains.
In this case, you should look for an isolation with the btn, since it is the effective stack with 35 bb. So your hand adapts very well, to the most open stacking range, which the villain can include from the btn position.
Greetings.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call me crazy but in the first hand, I'm just calling the 3-bet with AK.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have called and stopped the pre-flop action after 3bet of the villain, it is true that everything indicates a 5 bet in 90% of the cases means AA or KK, having done this with two diamonds in the flop, most likely he would have made a big bet and you would have folded your hand, but it is very easy to analyze it from here when you have AK it is difficult to imagine that the villain has AA or KK, at that moment you know that you are facing another Premium hand but most likely the range that you had to the villain is QQ or AQ, therefore although for me you had to stop the action in the pre-flop but I don't think you played badly the hand remained 3 Aces and although it was in short table of 6 players you had the bad luck that the villain had two of them

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4-bet is way too large. No reads, stats or info on opponent. <--- this will make a big difference between calling or 4-betting pre.

Bottom line, getting it in w/ AKs pre for ~100bbs is fine in a wind tunnel.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand:
I believe the old adage goes "five bet means Aces".

Unless you know your opponent very well, the adage should be respected here. You're getting it All In on a six bet knowing that you're behind.

Second hand:
You won 6.8 BB, good hand.

Very true here. Also, AK is not the nuts pre-flop against a re-raise. At best you're flipping.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with others, both hands should be mostly 4bet / fold with 4 bet sizing being closer to 2.5x. Reads are important though. In hand 1 we are UTG so when we get 5 bet they are going to have the goods unless it's a maniac. Second hand imagine how strong our cold 4 bet looks, if we still get 5 bet it's a much easier fold.