Turn: ($0.66) K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.89, BTN calls $0.69

River: ($2.44) J (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $4.46 (all-in)

----------------------------------------------------

Pre-flop:
Standard call IMO

Flop:
Flopping top pair with a decent kicker. I think I'm only supposed to check-raise my sets and two pairs here. At this point, I would be happy to go to showdown so I call. He has all the good kings in his range but also a fair amount of weak kings and (semi) bluffs.

Turn:
This is the point that I get slightly confused about proper play. The turn upgrades my hand to trips, but he continues firing. Following the same logic as the flop, I think I might just need to call here? I elect to check-raise but that was probably a mistake. What do you think?

River:
Villain shoves about 1.5x pot. Villain has to have trips or better after calling the turn right? You think there's enough weak kings in villains range to make this a profitable call?

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard defend.

Flop
He C-bet fairly large, and check-calling is certainly the standard play.

Turn
Obviously this was a very good turn card for you, since you are now very likely to have the best hand. But on the other side there are not a ton of hands, which are worse than yours, which should be willing to play a very large pot. Even so I do like your decision to raise, but I would probably size down a bit to something more like 69c rather than 89c. If you are ahead, you are way ahead, so you dont gain much by making him fold.

River
I would bet the river for value. You still dont need to go huge, but something like 30-40% pot could get a curious call from a pocket pair or maybe a J, that somehow got here. Instead you check, and now he overbet jam. I dont think, he takes this sizing with just trips, so to me this looks like a boat or a bluff.

I think, the general player pool tendency in the micros is for players to have it, when they are risking an entire stack on the river. So without a specific read on this guy, I would fold and move on to the next hand. And for the record I would also fold, if I had bet like a dollar and then gotten jammed on.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the analysis!
Preflop
And for the record I would also fold, if I had bet like a dollar and then gotten jammed on.

I like that you included this sentence explaining what you would've done had I followed your line of play. I'm going to steal that from you when replying to hand analysis threads :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $5.13 (103 bb)
MP: $12.85 (257 bb)
CO: $5.00 (100 bb)
BU: $5.67 (113 bb)
SB: $5.56 (111 bb)
BB (Hero): $5.15 (103 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with K T
3 players fold, BTN raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) K 6 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.17, Hero calls $0.17

Turn: ($0.66) K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.89, BTN calls $0.69

River: ($2.44) J (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $4.46 (all-in)

----------------------------------------------------

Pre-flop:
Standard call IMO

Flop:
Flopping top pair with a decent kicker. I think I'm only supposed to check-raise my sets and two pairs here. At this point, I would be happy to go to showdown so I call. He has all the good kings in his range but also a fair amount of weak kings and (semi) bluffs.

Turn:
This is the point that I get slightly confused about proper play. The turn upgrades my hand to trips, but he continues firing. Following the same logic as the flop, I think I might just need to call here? I elect to check-raise but that was probably a mistake. What do you think?

River:
Villain shoves about 1.5x pot. Villain has to have trips or better after calling the turn right? You think there's enough weak kings in villains range to make this a profitable call?

Thank you for posting.

As fundiver suggested staying in control of the pot on the river makes our decisions easier vs undefined V tendencies for shoves.

While it is true that the highest frequency is players shoving nut like hands in this spot it is also possible this V is suicide shoving here as well at this stake. That is why we lead river it lessens the frequency of suicide shoves.

In this spot the V may suicide shove AA QQ AJ QJ TT 99 88 98 54 AQ AT A5 if they think you check raised as a bluff or with a 6x or 7x hand when you check river.
Why might the V make it to the river with this wide of range? It is the K pairing that makes the difference here. The V may think it is less likely you have the K and more likely you have the 7.

The frequency of this player type is lower but they do exist at this stake level so note taking in zoom is important.

The easier approach is as fundiver stated where we bet fold river -I agree with their line at this stake.

Hope this helps
:):)

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check-raising turn what are extracting value from? Doesn’t seem like much we beat, maybe AA, and the odd chance of a weaker K9s,K8s. I am thinking call turn and lead river for value because check-raising turn feels like we make our hand face up . if villain was ever betting QQ,JJ,TT,,99 for a c-bet on the turn thinking hes ahead when we check-raise hes probrably folding to that size bet with his worse hands. I like check call turn and then lead the river for half pot trying to get value from villains middling pairs that have not folded yet, if I were to get raised would be taking a look at pot odds but folding to a very big bet

Maybe Im wrong, do middle PP fold to 3x check raise? If they dont then I think its fine to check raise but this will also eliminate villains bluffs like 98, T9 but I guess that doesn’t matter because if we were to check call turn and lead river those are folding unless they hit