Flop: ($0.42, 2 players) :3d4: :jh4: :8d4:
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.27, Hero raises to $0.90, UTG calls $0.63

Turn: ($2.22, 2 players) :as4:
Hero bets $1.05, UTG calls $1.05

River: ($4.32, 2 players) :ks4:
Hero bets $1.20, UTG raises to $3.18 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.98

Results: $10.68 pot ($0.44 rake)
Final Board: :3d4: :jh4: :8d4: :as4: :ks4:

Want an opinion about this play , and how it could have been played better.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it's okay, although you are putting your whole stack on two pair. The villain's jam on the river shouts kings or aces. I would see you winning against AQ and AJ this way a few times but more often losing to getting set-mined by aces, kings, and maybe jacks. Once you raise the flop, I think you are limiting your opponents to sets, jack pairs, and once in a while AA, KK, and Q10. I would probably keep the raise smaller on the flop and just bet for value to control pot size and keep the weaker hands in it.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the AK call suited, unless Hero's plan was to fit or fold for cheap. The check raise of the flop into a dry board looks much like what it is, either JJ, 88 or a flush draw.

As played, hitting the Ace makes gives Hero an hand, but Villain also has a hand that she CB called the re-raise with. This implies she has something over pairs KK or QQ, trips AA, JJ, or 88 as well as AJ, and A8 for 2 pair and a flush draw. It is doubtful Villain folds to a c-bet so what is the purpose of betting? I would want to get to a cheap show down and check call.

When the K hits now its 50/50 hero has the best hand. I check call again.

As played Hero is getting 4/5 yo 1 on the call and the are enough combinations that Villain pushes with to justify a crying calling.

A

Alexyus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the AK call suited, unless Hero's plan was to fit or fold for cheap. The check raise of the flop into a dry board looks much like what it is, either JJ, 88 or a flush draw.

As played, hitting the Ace makes gives Hero an hand, but Villain also has a hand that she CB called the re-raise with. This implies she has something over pairs KK or QQ, trips AA, JJ, or 88 as well as AJ, and A8 for 2 pair and a flush draw. It is doubtful Villain folds to a c-bet so what is the purpose of betting? I would want to get to a cheap show down and check call.

When the K hits now its 50/50 hero has the best hand. I check call again.

As played Hero is getting 4/5 yo 1 on the call and the are enough combinations that Villain pushes with to justify a crying calling.

I do belive anyhow that the calling range of the villan on raise flop cbet would be like:

T9s,QdJd,JdTd,Jd49d,Qd4Td ,KJ,AJ,33,88,JJ,QQ+
ocasionally, I would say like 5% of the time he would call with backdoors QTs,KQs,AQs

That s why I belive c-betting turn makes sense

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop shoul've been 3-betted. I would even jam on the river for value. Your small river bet means weakness, so he might bluff you by shoving. As played, I don't think we can get away from this hand.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would always 3 bet preflop (4x his bet) and certainly when OOP.

On the flop I like the check-raise with the flush draw and two over cards. Villain can still be wide when he cBets now that he calls he has most likely either a pair or AK or AQ or Jx suited connected type of hand as you hold the AK flush cards he is not likely to be on a flush draw. He can ofc also have sets with JJ, 88, 33. And T9s.

The turn card is good for you so I like your turn bet. You are most likely still ahead and can get value from AQ, KK, QQ and maybe even TT, Also QJs, JTs, T9s might still call. A set is also a possibility but there are more paired hands and draws then sets and you also have still the NUT flush draw. QT suited of diamonds?

On the river you get top two pair. Now it is combo counting time for sure can you make a value bet and if yes how big or should you check call (he cant have many busted flush bluff hands though as you hold the AK of the flush draw). He can have hands that he overvalues such as AJ and KJ or he can have the same hand as you AK.

When counting combos you get something like the following
If you value bet you are targeting mainly
AJ 6 combos and KJ 6 combos and maybe a stubborn AQ 6 combos (lets only count those without a diamond in it). => 18 combos
Your beat by
88, JJ, 33, AA, KK, QTs (diamonds) (3+3+3+1+1+1 => 12 combos)
So I guess it is close if you should value bet or just check call.
You decide to bet rather small and the villain now goes all in given the odds it is a must call I guess. Would have gone all-in as it is less then a pot sized bet if I would bet the river he is probably not going to fold two pair on that board run out.