Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (12.4 BB, 2 players) 6
Hero bets 5 BB, BTN raises to 16 BB, Hero calls

River: (44.4 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero checks, BTN checks

BTN has AQo, Hero wins.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I do not understand his raise at the turn, do I miss some value at the river?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your small 3 bet size oop and not c betting the flop capped your range for your 50% turn bet, think putting some pressure on with AQ might not be a terrible play.

I'm not sure about missing value on the river, knowing hole cards he has an easy fold, but he might have some TT, 99 77 and 55 that might play this way some of the time, you're also going to be running up into some trips and I think it would be difficult to get villain to fold any King for a reasonable size river bet.

I think you can raise bigger preflop (3.5-4x) when you are going to be OOP and I think you can C bet the flop here pretty often.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty dry flop with one overcard. I would cbet flop.

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your small 3 bet size oop and not c betting the flop capped your range for your 50% turn bet, think putting some pressure on with AQ might not be a terrible play.

I'm not sure about missing value on the river, knowing hole cards he has an easy fold, but he might have some TT, 99 77 and 55 that might play this way some of the time, you're also going to be running up into some trips and I think it would be difficult to get villain to fold any King for a reasonable size river bet.

I think you can raise bigger preflop (3.5-4x) when you are going to be OOP and I think you can C bet the flop here pretty often.

thanks! I will take your advice next time.

D

DrGreenthumb420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey,
Imo bigger preflop raise as suggested but for me it's not necessarily a cbet. Because it's so dry you fold out a lot of junk.
I wouldve probably folded to the turn c/r. A lot of his strong hands would play flop checkback and c/r turn..
Doing that with aq is certainly a little loose (as it's not a good bluffing opportunity aswell)
Starting to bet there is fine, as there are now quite some cards we don't want to face one the river.
River check Def the way its played.
:)

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,
Imo bigger preflop raise as suggested but for me it's not necessarily a cbet. Because it's so dry you fold out a lot of junk.
I wouldve probably folded to the turn c/r. A lot of his strong hands would play flop checkback and c/r turn..
Doing that with aq is certainly a little loose (as it's not a good bluffing opportunity aswell)
Starting to bet there is fine, as there are now quite some cards we don't want to face one the river.
River check Def the way its played.
:)

Do you think AK or KQ will slow play at the flop? I am sure trips will indend to do so, hoping me to hit a card. In addition, do I need to call his bet, less than half pot, at the river?

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL you definitely got the max value out of his particular holding.

VS a min raise, I always go 4x at least OOP for my 3bet (I like smaller 3bet sizes, but its relative to their raising size first in).

Flop is a dry board w/ one over. I'd bet pretty much most of my holdings here, but it depends how you construct your range. I like checking sets along with mediocre pairs. (not a pro, just my strategy:eek:).

1/3 size bet is fine. You are blocking KJ, so He could sometimes have AK but other than that its KQ, KJ... if you are a rampant 3bettor maybe he calls IP with KTs.

He will continue with that sizing with most of his range.

AQo I've always thought does OK on K high boards since it helps remove AK and KQ which are the strongest Ks. This alone is not enough to bluff, however. From his perspective it would take a double barrel- I'd fire 1/3 flop, 2/3 turn if I felt like bluffing here. Some backdoor draws would help though.

For you, maybe betting 1/3 Flop, check calling turn is something you can do with AK, KQ, QQ, JJ, TT. That way you get some bluff stabs out of V. After that you can decide what to do on the river- if you have to turn your hand into a bluff, etc. Against this one-and-done player type I'd xcall turn and donk lead river to get value from his weaker holdings.

Overall, well-played :D

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like this line. I would play differently. 1. 3-bet preflop 4x. 2. C-bet 1/2 pot. 3. The bet on the turn is 1/3 of the pot. Do not forget that he has a wide range on the button. Since played, a check on the river is valid.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with guys who play bigger 3bet pre flop. I play 3bet 4,5x OOP. On the flop I would play a c-bet for at least 50% of the pot, because when you check on the flop better opponent can think that you have nothing, ace high or that you afraid something on the flop. So better a little risk and play c-bet on the flop. As played - on the turn I prefer bigger bet, because when you bet for less than 50% for me usually it means that you haven't a top pair, because with top pair I think you should bet bigger bet for value. It seems that opponent had good read on you and he decided bluff you. You have lucky that opponent play check on the river and you won this pot. GL :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-bet OOP should be larger, especially against a mini-raise. I would go 4X or 8BB here.

Flop
Checking a marginal made hand on the flop is the more old school way of playing poker, and I do not mind it. The more modern GTO-style line would be to make a small bet like 30% pot with almost your entire range.

Turn
When he check back flop, your second pair is almost always good, so I like your bet. I also like calling his raise, because what does he really represent? Like a set of 6`s exactly? A lot of players love to attack delayed C-bets, because they think, your range is capped, but they forget to factor in, that their own range is also capped after checking behind on the flop. And that makes it very easy to snap off, what is often just some silly random bluff.

River
Absolutely standard to check after getting raised on the turn. You probably have to call, if he bet again on a brick like this, but you are totally happy, that he give up and check behind.

Conclusion
Overall I really like the way, this hand was played, except for the 3-bet sizing. 90 points out of 100 possible, especially for a soft micro stakes game like this, where you can induce fish and bad regs to spazz out by going for the delayed C-bet.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
BTN: 100 BB
Hero (BB): 200 BB
SB: 100 BB
UTG: 100 BB
CO: 100 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop:(pot: 1.4 BB)Hero has J J

BTN raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, BTN calls 4 BB

Flop:(12.4 BB, 2 players) 3 K 8
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn:(12.4 BB, 2 players) 6
Hero bets 5 BB, BTN raises to 16 BB, Hero calls

River:(44.4 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero checks, BTN checks

BTN has AQo, Hero wins.

I do not understand his raise at the turn, do I miss some value at the river?

I don't understand its raise OTT as well, because we had 3-bet preflop so we will have the best hands most of times in scenarios like this turn.
I believe that OTR was fine, we are protecting our range for the times Villain really has some Kx and decided to play fancy OTT.
Plus, if we do c-bet and crazy Villain elects to raise or jam with a lot of bluffs, such as AQ, AJ, whatever, we cannot simply pay and Villain is going to take an uncontested pot without too much effort, simply using the power of position.
We must play a wise game when we are out of position, and your hand is a very good example of a well played hand.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa