$5 NLHE 6-max: Did I took the right Line with AQo ?

P

Papier24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 29/23/2

No Limit Hold'em $0,02/$0,05
PokerStars
6 players
Formatiert mit pokerpilot.com: Der Poker-HUD für Mac und Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG (
$4,73)
MP - MP (
$5,14)
CO - CO (
$11,93)
BTN - Hero (
$7,21)
SB - SB (
$5,00)
BB - BB (
$5,00)

Preflop: (
$0,07, 6 players) Hero is BTN with A♣Q♦
2 folds, CO raises to $0,12, Hero calls $0,12, 1 fold, BB raises to $0,50, CO calls $0,38, Hero calls $0,38

Flop:
7♣3♠A♠ ($1,52, 3 players - CO: $11,43, Hero: $6,71, BB: $4,50)
BB bets $1,10, 1 fold, Hero calls $1,10

Turn:
K♥ ($3,72, 2 players - Hero: $5,61, BB: $3,40)
BB bets $2,68, Hero raises to $5,36, BB calls $0,72 (all-in), Uncalled bet of $1,96 returned to Hero

River:
8♥ ($10,52, 2 players, 1 all-in - Hero: $2,21, BB: $0,00)

Total Pot:
$10,52

Some thougts :

I have 176 hands on the bb. His stats : VPIP 29 PFR 23 Agg 2,2 3bet 9%
I think Villain is a pretty balanced player. I have seen him 3bet light before and his 3bet stat at least suggest that he's not only 3betting with the nuts. Therefore I thought AQo is too high up in my range to consider folding in position.

The player on the cut off is really tight: VPIP 19 PFR 16 Agg 11,0

I considered 3betting preflop myself too. When I have AQ I usually 3bet oop and against players who call my 3bets really light. I felt the CO would fold many dominated hands like AJ, AT so I decided to flat call in position this time. I'm usually a pretty aggressive 3better but I try to mix it up depending on the opponent.

Postflop I'm obviously wasn't really happy to put my whole stack in it but I don't have a spade in my hand and in my head I pretty much get only beat by AA or AK. I felt like this player would occasionally check KK on the flop. So overall I'm actually ok with my play but would love to hear some feedback.

nucl

nucl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain 3bet stats seems a little bit high in my opinion,but that does not mean that he is 3betting light against 2 opponents OOP.Nonetheless you should consider him of having a big pair with a spade in his range and a small % of him having AK since you block an A.Is too hard for him having made flashes,because what flushes he have except KQs?
So I believe your play was correct a big percentage of time(but I prefer to 3bet this hand IP and take the lead).

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played, fold pre.

We should be 3b here ourselves pre, and yeah if BB 4b then we still fold.

There should be no as played, because I think given you flat OTB, then BB 3b, yeah we just fold here pre.

As far as post flop, I think calling down is only option here, and I don't think we have the best hand on the flop or turn.

See if we 3b pre, we force the blinds to fold a bunch, and we ISO CO, or we get folds, which makes us happy as well. Like if it goes CO open, we 3b, BB 4b, easy fold, EZ game.

By flatting pre, we don't get value from CO probably wide range, and we also don't define other hands, and we don't have the initiative.

And the fact that you are over calling here pre, when you said CO is really tight, is even more reason to fold. But even if guy is tight, he's the CO dude, what can he have, really? A bunch of hands. And furthermore this is micros, people call 3b way way way too much with trouble hands like A-J and A-Qo ......

So yeah, that's my input.

One minor tweak and the hand plays much easier.

P

Papier24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played, fold pre.

We should be 3b here ourselves pre, and yeah if BB 4b then we still fold.

There should be no as played, because I think given you flat OTB, then BB 3b, yeah we just fold here pre.

As far as post flop, I think calling down is only option here, and I don't think we have the best hand on the flop or turn.

See if we 3b pre, we force the blinds to fold a bunch, and we ISO CO, or we get folds, which makes us happy as well. Like if it goes CO open, we 3b, BB 4b, easy fold, EZ game.

By flatting pre, we don't get value from CO probably wide range, and we also don't define other hands, and we don't have the initiative.

And the fact that you are over calling here pre, when you said CO is really tight, is even more reason to fold. But even if guy is tight, he's the CO dude, what can he have, really? A bunch of hands. And furthermore this is micros, people call 3b way way way too much with trouble hands like A-J and A-Qo ......

So yeah, that's my input.

One minor tweak and the hand plays much easier.
So yeah I really agree that you should usually 3bet AQo in this position. As mentioned before I'm actually a relatively aggressive 3better (3bet %7-8). But I felt it doesn't accomplish alot to 3bet AQo against a tight player since he would mainly just fold his worse hands and only call/4bet with better hands. 3betting gives us more information and puts the blinds in a more difficult situation. So yes 3betting is probably the better choice. That's why I usually love to 3bet alot.

I actually fold alot (!) to 3bets in the micros too because most players only 3bet with AK and QQ+ but if we fold AQ on the button against a single 3bet of a relatively aggressive 3better we pretty much have to fold everything than premium hands and this is highly explotative. I have to pay 0.38 in order to play for 1,52$ pot post flop. So I basically only need 25% equity to justify this call.
So what are the exact reasons to fold this hand preflop ?

Last edited:
Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So yeah I really agree that you should usually 3bet AQo in this position. As mentioned before I'm actually a relatively aggressive 3better (3bet %7-8). But I felt it doesn't accomplish alot to 3bet AQo against a tight player since he would mainly just fold his worse hands and only call/4bet with better hands. 3betting gives us more information and puts the blinds in a more difficult situation. So yes 3betting is probably the better choice. That's why I usually love to 3bet alot.

I actually fold alot (!) to 3bets in the micros too because most players only 3bet with AK and QQ+ but if we fold AQ on the button against a single 3bet of a relatively aggressive 3better we pretty much have to fold everything than premium hands and this is highly explotative. I have to pay 0.38 in order to play for 1,52$ pot post flop. So I basically only need 25% equity to justify this call.
So what are the exact reasons to fold this hand preflop ?

I def see your point here, but we fold post 2/3 of the time, and sometimes we get into reverse implied odds scenarios as well. We'd obv love to flop K-J-10r, but yeah not likely....

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given what you said i like the preflop call. Or at least the thought behind it. You should also consider your stats and table image. If the villain is competent and you are like 21/17 with a 3bet of 8-12% he might call your 3bet light anyways.
Generally in these spots at these limits 3betting is definitely +EV play but is it optimal ? I think with position and some post flop edge if you think you have it this is certainly a good call pre.

Now when BB 3bets i ask myself does he see the same stats on the CO as i do ?
If sees that COs 3bet fold percentage and he sees that you are an aggro 3bettor and you called he should think that if he 3bets CO will most likely fold and since you didnt 3bet he thinks you are weak so this might be a great squeezing opportunity. That said his sizing doesnt make much sense. If he wanted folds i think he should have gone bigger.

When CO calls i think you are getting a really good price to fold so calling is fine.

Flop call is mandatory. I would only fold the flop if the action went bet-raise.
Now the turn is just a matter of pot odds and ranges.
Its simple math with poker stove/flopzilla...
Also be aware that when he bets that much on the turn he really doesnt have any fold equity so when he bets 2.7 its really an all in for 3.4 into a 3.7 pot.
When he basically shoves he is giving you 1.08 to 1 so you need like 50% equity to breakeven.
I ran it trough PStove and this is his worst case scenario range with all his value hands and his best bluffs on the turn: AA,77,33,AKs,A7s,A3s,Ts9s,8s7s,6s5s,5s4s,AKo.
With this range you only have 14% equity.

With this villain range AA,77,33,AKs,AsQs,AsJs,AsTs,A7s,A3s,KsQs,KsJs,KsTs,QsJs,QsTs,JsTs,Js9s,Ts9s,8s7s,6s5s,5s4s,AKo which has a lot more FDs in it you still only have 30% equity.

So its just a matter of does he bluff something like 22-99 (except sets) none spade straight draws and stuff like that.
In general small stake players dont bluff turn and rivers as much as they should.
In this spot in my opinion he doesnt have enough bluffs in his range for us to call profitably especially when he bets pot.

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*Correction
The odds you are getting are 2 to 1, so you need 33 % equity to breakeven.

thylmanoid

thylmanoid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3Betting pre-flop is optimal in my opinion. Otherwise you're given the blinds v good odds to call with some marginal hands, and if they 4Bet you fold. As played you have to call.

PS 19/16 is not very tight and 29/23 with 9% 3Bet is not balanced.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm good with how you played this. We're in position, and CO is a little tight to profitably 3-bet here (do we really think he's calling with KQ or AJ?). And isolating the CO isn't exactly the path to riches.

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understanding raising the turn. when bigblind 3 bets out of position, leads flop, and leads turn, especially with A + K on the board.

The only reason to raise i think in this spot is to get him to fold his bluffs, however, your hand is good enough to take to showdown.

I'd more often then not call this turn and most likely check/call the river. (unless it was a (js 10s qs then i might fold to a river shove.)