$5 NLHE 6-max: Did I scare the fish?

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624KvxtAH

hi there, poker friends! In this hand I think I played well but maybe I scared the fish.

I was pretty sure the V was being overaggro and very likely I was getting the best hand. This due to the V open-call in pre-flop and very unlikely that AQ-AK would play this way. Then, in turn appeared an OESD and flush draw, so I though that I should to put more value in that hand for protection and obviously, value. But the fish scared and fold his bad bluff.

So, Did I just slowplay and call or my raise in the turn was accurate?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain donk pot bet on the flop, apparently protecting a middle hand. At this point it is reasonable to think that UTG is looking for a snap fold from us. When we call in this 3-bet pot, most of the time we will represent a fairly strong range. (due to the UTG opening position).
On the turn the V fires again, but this time a size smaller than 50%. And this is an interesting point to comment on. If our range is very strong, why is the bet proportionally much smaller than in the flop? Obviously the villain wants us to think that he is inducing us to raises, and that he is willing to defend his rank, because he is very strong. (maybe he wants to represent sets).
If the villain thinks we can bluff with hands like QK; JQ; KJ, etc. He will be able to make calls more frequently with his weak aces. The problem that occurs is that we are blocking those hands of aces in their range and also the texture of the board, neutralizes our bluff combos. Since in this case, we have no equity incentive to try to steal the pot with those hands. Because we are literally dead, if we think that the villain will call us with Axs and better hands.
In reality, rank V most likely has more draw combos. And at this point, a min raise on our part would achieve a lot of fold equity, since we will literally be representing the nuts for this board texture. (AA or at least AK, with Kd).
Due to the position of the opener, our hand has an important blocker, since it is more likely to include in range V the combos of 9T than 56.
Your move on the turn was correct if your goal was for dominated / speculative hands to fold here.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the turn bringing both a possible flush draw and straight draws, I think your play is fine.

Slow playing becomes safer the drier the board. As the board becomes wetter, then you want to play your good hands faster.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain donk pot bet on the flop, apparently protecting a middle hand. At this point it is reasonable to think that UTG is looking for a snap fold from us. When we call in this 3-bet pot, most of the time we will represent a fairly strong range. (due to the UTG opening position).
On the turn the V fires again, but this time a size smaller than 50%. And this is an interesting point to comment on. If our range is very strong, why is the bet proportionally much smaller than in the flop? Obviously the villain wants us to think that he is inducing us to raises, and that he is willing to defend his rank, because he is very strong. (maybe he wants to represent sets).
If the villain thinks we can bluff with hands like QK; JQ; KJ, etc. He will be able to make calls more frequently with his weak aces. The problem that occurs is that we are blocking those hands of aces in their range and also the texture of the board, neutralizes our bluff combos. Since in this case, we have no equity incentive to try to steal the pot with those hands. Because we are literally dead, if we think that the villain will call us with Axs and better hands.
In reality, rank V most likely has more draw combos. And at this point, a min raise on our part would achieve a lot of fold equity, since we will literally be representing the nuts for this board texture. (AA or at least AK, with Kd).
Due to the position of the opener, our hand has an important blocker, since it is more likely to include in range V the combos of 9T than 56.
Your move on the turn was correct if your goal was for dominated / speculative hands to fold here.
Greetings.

With the turn bringing both a possible flush draw and straight draws, I think your play is fine.

Slow playing becomes safer the drier the board. As the board becomes wetter, then you want to play your good hands faster.

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I agree with both you! I thought that the V was playing with bad sizing and a min raise will make him fold and protect me against a wet turn. It feels good when my logic match with more experienced poker players:):):)

Thanks for the detailed explanation gustav197poker