R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 50/10/0.6

I only have 10 hands on the villain but already I am thinking he is a station ?
Any thoughts on the line ?
Standard or too aggressive against a player like this on this runout ?

poker stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $13.85 (277 bb)
BB: $7.08 (141.6 bb)
UTG: $8.24 (164.8 bb)
MP: $2.67 (53.4 bb)
CO: $8.57 (171.4 bb)
BTN: $11.61 (232.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A
diamond4.gif
A
heart4.gif

UTG folds, MP raises to $0.12, CO folds, BTN calls $0.12, Hero raises to $0.65, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.53

Flop: ($1.47) Q
spade4.gif
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $0.95, BTN calls $0.95

Turn: ($3.37) T
spade4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $3, BTN calls $3

River: ($9.37) 9
heart4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $7.50, BTN calls $7.01 and is all-in

Results: $23.39 pot ($0.97 rake)
Final Board: Q
spade4.gif
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
T
spade4.gif
heart4.gif

Hero showed A
diamond4.gif
A
heart4.gif
and lost (-$11.61 net)
BTN showed T
heart4.gif
Q
diamond4.gif
and won $22.42 ($10.81 net)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were 100 BB deep, then I am totally fine with just stacking it off postflop. However with more than 200 BB effective, it does become a little bit of an overplay especially with limited info on the Villain.

Sure if he can have QT, he can obviously also have AQ, KQ or QJ. But the question is, is he always going to stack it off, or does he actually find a fold and call you down, only when you are beat? I would probably size down here and go like half pot, half pot, half pot to keep his range wider and give myself room to get away, if he raise me at some point.

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were 100 BB deep, then I am totally fine with just stacking it off postflop. However with more than 200 BB effective, it does become a little bit of an overplay especially with limited info on the Villain.

Sure if he can have QT, he can obviously also have AQ, KQ or QJ. But the question is, is he always going to stack it off, or does he actually find a fold and call you down, only when you are beat? I would probably size down here and go like half pot, half pot, half pot to keep his range wider and give myself room to get away, if he raise me at some point.

I have seen these players call here with 88 or JTo. Maybe my range assumption is wrong but then again I feel like I am missing value if I don't shove.
Having 100bb and more info would be ideal I guess.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think against station this line is fine, you would get 3 street values from AQ,KQ or even QJ.

Against unknown, I will bet smaller on the flop with whole range

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen these players call here with 88 or JTo. Maybe my range assumption is wrong but then again I feel like I am missing value if I don't shove.

Having 100bb and more info would be ideal I guess.

Its basically the good old story, how much you want to get out of line, because you think, you can exploit your opponents. You are pretty far out of line here, so if this was a hand against a good player, it would be a huge mistake.

However against a 50/10 over 10 hands at 5NL, it could be profitable in the long run, and then this is nothing more than variance. The fact, he has QTo if a 3-bet pot, show, he is at least able to make some pretty bad calls preflop.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would find it really tough to not be getting the chips, KJ is the only real hand I would be too worried about here assuming BTN has a somewhat reasonable understanding of how to play poker. Lots of lower pocket pairs, Qx and random ace highs would be a large part of his range on the flop. 66% of pot ($2) would keep a few flush draws in to see the river card while still getting you to a pot sized bet left behind for the river.

Overall I think this was just unlucky, he had 5 outs on the flop and happened to hit one on the turn, I'd be expecting to get a lot of value from draws and lower pairs from villains like this.

Him hitting the 10 on the turn is just unlucky, I think there's even a chance this guy would be calling a few bets with his Q if he didn't hit two pair given his call preflop.

I think a slightly smaller turn bet could keep more weak hands in villain's range,

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice play. he could calling everithing

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short answer is yes. You should be answering, what's my opponents second best hand range he's going to felt w/ this deep? You have the worst blockers you could have here for strong top pair hands, AQ. KK likely would have 4-bet this deep a large percentage of the time. So you're left with KQ, QJ. Those hands seem overly ambitious to get your opponent to felt w/ that deep.

Bet sizing is also insanely large for this dry of a board. It's just a really unbalanced strategy, even at these stakes.

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short answer is yes. You should be answering, what's my opponents second best hand range he's going to felt w/ this deep? You have the worst blockers you could have here for strong top pair hands, AQ. KK likely would have 4-bet this deep a large percentage of the time. So you're left with KQ, QJ. Those hands seem overly ambitious to get your opponent to felt w/ that deep.

Bet sizing is also insanely large for this dry of a board. It's just a really unbalanced strategy, even at these stakes.

Thanks for answering John ! In my defense I was trying to be super exploitable here, but the thought of blocking TPTK never entered my brain.
The thing is my biggest losses come from being deep and then loosing the whole stack.
I have so much more hands that I've played recently where I was 200-300bb deep and I end up loosing it in 1 hand.
I will post some of them in a day or two...

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would find it really tough to not be getting the chips, KJ is the only real hand I would be too worried about here assuming BTN has a somewhat reasonable understanding of how to play poker. Lots of lower pocket pairs, Qx and random ace highs would be a large part of his range on the flop. 66% of pot ($2) would keep a few flush draws in to see the river card while still getting you to a pot sized bet left behind for the river.

Overall I think this was just unlucky, he had 5 outs on the flop and happened to hit one on the turn, I'd be expecting to get a lot of value from draws and lower pairs from villains like this.

Him hitting the 10 on the turn is just unlucky, I think there's even a chance this guy would be calling a few bets with his Q if he didn't hit two pair given his call preflop.

I think a slightly smaller turn bet could keep more weak hands in villain's range,

I like the small turn bet strategy in a lot of situation especially against a not so aggressive opponent.
In this case I just didn't find it useful because I was trying to get max value.
I bet small on the turn as a probe when I have a mediocre hand and sometimes I'll do it with the nuts. Not because I want to balance(not at these stakes at least), it's because I think the villain will misinterpret my hand.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've started lowering the % of the pot I bet on the flop/turn if it was 3 bet pre flop. Helps to keep a lid on things as a default position, and then I can alter that if I'm really confident that I want to get value and put a lot more in.

So I now have two additional considerations into my bet sizing post flop - a) Is the board dry or wet? & b) Was this pot 3 Bet pre flop and therefore already reasonably large?

On a wet board I might bet about 2/3 pot as standard, but if that same board was 3 bet pre flop I'll be more inclined to just c bet 1/2 pot.

G

gaguilu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggressive player

against aggressive player is very easy to play against him, only play with value, never increase, only pay and go vai all in the river

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for answering John ! In my defense I was trying to be super exploitable here, but the thought of blocking TPTK never entered my brain.
The thing is my biggest losses come from being deep and then loosing the whole stack.
I have so much more hands that I've played recently where I was 200-300bb deep and I end up loosing it in 1 hand.
I will post some of them in a day or two...

Yw.. That's definitely a big leak you want to sort out then. You can post some hands here, as we have a good group, and I always check this thread since it's my cash game advice thread:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/polished-poker-vol-i-study-group-227214//index121.html

K

Karl Hernandez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have put all your Chips in the middle when the Ten came on the Turn.
(In this Scenario you still loose your Hand though, let me explain)

Even with your small bet you already knew that you are going to be committed to the pot, so if you go all in now or later dosnt really matter (or does it?)

Given the Range of our Villain we have to assume he has a medium pair or 2 Picture Cards, most likely suited.
So chances are good he either hit something or he is now Looking at aFlush or Straightdraw.

I would go all in now, because if he has a draw he cant pay for the River Card cheaply.

In this example a 9 Comes up, which is exactly the Card he might have been Looking for, he now can decide wether he wants to call (if he hit) or fold(if he didnt)

With an All In on the Turn we wouldnt get in that Situation at all.

Thats my "advice" but of Course im not even close to being professional or a poker coach

So those "Arguments" are Nothing more than an opinion.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have no problem going broke from time to time stacking fish this bad. A 50/10 who is capable of turning up with QTo is capable of turning up with so much worse than AA here.