$5 NLHE 6-max: I need analysis on this please and how can i correct play in future this type of hand

L

luser94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$5 NLHE 6-max: I need analysis on this please and how can i correct play in future this type of hand

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 38/12/3

PokerStars - ₹5 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

UTG: 77 BB
CO: 224.86 BB
BTN: 58.02 BB
Hero (SB): 64.74 BB
BB: 131.36 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:diamond: K:heart:

fold, CO raises to 2 BB, BTN calls 2 BB, Hero raises to 8 BB, fold, CO calls 6 BB, BTN calls 6 BB

Flop: (25 BB, 3 players) 4:diamond: Q:club: 9:diamond:
Hero bets 18.38 BB, CO calls 18.38 BB, fold

Turn: (61.77 BB, 2 players) 2:club:
Hero bets 38.36 BB and is all-in, CO calls 38.36 BB

River: (138.48 BB, 2 players) J:heart:

Hero shows K:diamond: K:heart: (One Pair, Kings)
(Pre 80%, Flop 14%, Turn 5%)
CO shows 9:club: 9:spade: (Three of a Kind, Nines)
(Pre 20%, Flop 86%, Turn 95%)
CO wins 132.25 BB

How can i recognize that if someone have set and not lose money, please feel free to tell me how i improve my game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just because you lose a hand does not mean, you did anything wrong. On the other side winning a hand does not mean, you played well either. Poker involve gambling, so losing is normal. And YOU losing is also normal, even if you are the best player in the world. To analyse a hand like this, you need to assign your opponent a range, which he will call preflop, call the flop AND call the turn.

hands that beat you: QQ, 99, (44), (Q9s). Those in bracket are hands, he should not call preflop, but he seem to be bad, so maybe he does. Total of 6 (11) combos. Then there are hands, that you beat, and that he will pay with: AQ, KQ, (QJs), (JTs) for a total of 18 (25) combos.

This mean that stacking off was profitable. You just happened to run into the top of his range this time, which is nothing at all to worry about. The only thing, I would do different, is to start with a full 100BB stack and maybe 3-bet a little bit larger, because you were out of position against two players.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You start this hand in SB, raise in this position in most of the time means a strong hand, so if is a "premium" hand you need to raise big to isolate 1 player only, with a strong hand, nowdays most players seems they dont like to eventualy fold these hands after the flop, but acting first is not good, and mistakes can happen, all this topic is about the SB position, if you are not in this position all would be diferrent in my opinion
This flop is theoretically good for you, but with +2 players in the pot, your odds is not soo favorable, the preflop is the key in this situation, after that, you can put one unique villain in a right range in posflop, so if he payed preflop in this case, his range must be, QQ, 99, AQd, AJd, Axd... but the hard part in this situation is your position after this type of flop, like I say, most player tend to not fold AA, KK, but things can happen and theses hands are not unbeatables

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so if he payed preflop in this case, his range must be, QQ, 99, AQd, AJd, Axd...

Are you seriously suggesting, that he can only have pocket pairs or suited hands, and that he will fold top pair, unless he has a flushdraw to go with it? The guy is fishy looking (38/12), he called a mini-raise on BTN and then called a relatively small 3-bet closing action and with position. I think, he can have a lot of QX here, and I dont think, he is ever going to fold it. At the very minimum he can have all 12 combos of AQ and 6 combos of KQ, and this is an ideal situation for Hero to stack those hands with his overpair.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably have played just like you, so this game from the point of view of your bets, I think they were correct. But your game, from the point of view of basic strategy, I think you made a single mistake. Play with 65bb. In this mode, poker coaches recommend playing with a full stack of 100 bb. Then analyzing your hand from this perspective, we can see that villain, play with position on you, and also probably having you very well covered, I was thinking of stackearte in the flop.
This reasoning makes sense, after observing that you have been called to your continuation bet on the flop. On the other hand, with your bet c you have been absolutely committed to the boat, so withdrawing at this time would be a mathematical error for the long term.
As for v, we can see that he is a fairly passive player, which is good, because this type can be exploited many times with closed ranks like yours, but also this type of rivals, they have the advantage of hiding their monster hands and playing them passively, taking advantage of the opposite aggressions.
That is why having a complete stack gives us a greater margin of playability, to better analyze our movements and the responses of our villains, using all available information. In this case you did not have many options and your hand was good enough to play it this way.
Regards.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think buyin is 50BB here if not would recommend playing full stack.

Your preflop play could be better. Against two players you should raise about POT + some extra as your OOP meaning that you should raise to 9BB + some extra. You are giving the players to good odds to set mine.

For the rest there is not much you can do as these things happen and you would get paid off by AQ, KQ, QJ holdings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think buyin is 50BB here if not would recommend playing full stack.

The max buyin on pokerstars for cash games is always 100BB at least on the international .com side. And it would be stange, if they made it any different on their other regional sites like .eu, although to be fair, I dont know for sure, since I can not play there :)

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The max buyin on PokerStars for cash games is always 100BB at least on the international .com side. And it would be stange, if they made it any different on their other regional sites like .eu, although to be fair, I dont know for sure, since I can not play there :)

I've seen rooms of the United States where you can sit and play with a maximum stack of 50 bb, which seems like a literal robbery.

L

luser94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because you lose a hand does not mean, you did anything wrong. On the other side winning a hand does not mean, you played well either. Poker involve gambling, so losing is normal. And YOU losing is also normal, even if you are the best player in the world. To analyse a hand like this, you need to assign your opponent a range, which he will call preflop, call the flop AND call the turn.

Hands that beat you: QQ, 99, (44), (Q9s). Those in bracket are hands, he should not call preflop, but he seem to be bad, so maybe he does. Total of 6 (11) combos. Then there are hands, that you beat, and that he will pay with: AQ, KQ, (QJs), (JTs) for a total of 18 (25) combos.

This mean that stacking off was profitable. You just happened to run into the top of his range this time, which is nothing at all to worry about. The only thing, I would do different, is to start with a full 100BB stack and maybe 3-bet a little bit larger, because you were out of position against two players.

You are right he is very fishy passive. The reason why my stack was low because i lost in previous hand and i was reload then new hand came so couldn't have done it.

He would done the same thing even if he had Q8 .

Btw i purchased RunItOnce from ground up for clearing my fundamental mistake.
Which other course would u recommend after this like should i purchase their essential or upswing for advance.

L

luser94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably have played just like you, so this game from the point of view of your bets, I think they were correct. But your game, from the point of view of basic strategy, I think you made a single mistake. Play with 65bb. In this mode, poker coaches recommend playing with a full stack of 100 bb. Then analyzing your hand from this perspective, we can see that villain, play with position on you, and also probably having you very well covered, I was thinking of stackearte in the flop.
This reasoning makes sense, after observing that you have been called to your continuation bet on the flop. On the other hand, with your bet c you have been absolutely committed to the boat, so withdrawing at this time would be a mathematical error for the long term.
As for v, we can see that he is a fairly passive player, which is good, because this type can be exploited many times with closed ranks like yours, but also this type of rivals, they have the advantage of hiding their monster hands and playing them passively, taking advantage of the opposite aggressions.
That is why having a complete stack gives us a greater margin of playability, to better analyze our movements and the responses of our villains, using all available information. In this case you did not have many options and your hand was good enough to play it this way.
Regards.

I exploited him 3 times after this hand, he was doing this with every marginal hands.

Thanks for input mate.

Btw which course would u recommend for advance studies RunItOnce essential or upswing cash game course. I am already taking RunItOnce from ground up and i m really learning a lot from this.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
First of all you have to know what hands he continues after flop with, HUDS give us an idea, but we have to know our opponent at minimum details. I think the after flop ok but in preflop I think you could to take implied odds from villains punishing villains with a squeeze for value, so you have to have a range of squeeze for bluff too. Probably CO would call you with a range of agression less the top range which he would 4bet you. You would be extracting chips from preflop against a player that calls you too many times and raises you with some mostly weaker hands. So with 65BB of effective stack and 5,5BB on the pot, you would raise to 9BB taking odds and 8BB giving some odds. Obviously you were a victim of a bad luck on this hand, I think but on these limits you have to explore the capability of villains to put chips on the table.
Have good games, positivity and wisdom.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I exploited him 3 times after this hand, he was doing this with every marginal hands.

Thanks for input mate.

Btw which course would u recommend for advance studies RunItOnce essential or upswing cash game course. I am already taking RunItOnce from ground up and i m really learning a lot from this.

Regardless of the book or course you choose, I recommend that you separate from them when sitting at a table. You can have an optimal theoretical game concept, but that has no application in a real table, since the real situations of a table are constantly changing, as well as the types of players you will find in it.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Are you seriously suggesting, that he can only have pocket pairs or suited hands, and that he will fold top pair, unless he has a flushdraw to go with it? The guy is fishy looking (38/12), he called a mini-raise on BTN and then called a relatively small 3-bet closing action and with position. I think, he can have a lot of QX here, and I dont think, he is ever going to fold it. At the very minimum he can have all 12 combos of AQ and 6 combos of KQ, and this is an ideal situation for Hero to stack those hands with his overpair.

Are you seriously taking isolated pieces of an answer? this range is, if the villain payed the isolation bet preflop, i don't give a F* if villain is a fish or not, a player is more than these idiot stats based in 50 hands x him, you think you is the king of analisys with your Hud stats, wake up man

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only questionable thing is maybe keep your stack at 100BB. Other than that, you played the hand fine. You got unlucky there (having an overpair vs an underset is always a drag). Maybe 3 bet to about 10 or 11 BB preflop, as you're out of position vs 2 other players.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess the strategy of raising preflop, above the pot base, may have some flexibility. In this case, the co covers us, but btn also has a very short stack like us. So it loses some relevance to increase the boat even more, to balance our position, since if btn wants to play thoroughly, we should probably make a call, to a line of 4bet by the btn and in any case, this would be in a flip situation. For which, we would end up isolated with the btn, most of the time. Since co probably gives up and doesn't want to join the party. The same reasoning could be applied in reverse and we are left with co. And if necessary in this ultimate case, we force the 5bet online bet, if we still have a super minimum stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right he is very fishy passive. The reason why my stack was low because i lost in previous hand and i was reload then new hand came so couldn't have done it.

He would done the same thing even if he had Q8 .

Btw i purchased RunItOnce from ground up for clearing my fundamental mistake.

Which other course would u recommend after this like should i purchase their essential or upswing for advance.

PokerStars offer auto top-up, which I personally always use. In that way you are also not distracted from the game by having to do it manually.

As for courses I am not sure, you really need that many to beat 5NL. Most players at this limit is beginners, so a simple exploitative TAG approach is generally more than enough.

And there is a danger, that you just end up leveling yourself, if you read to much advanced theory. So I would save my money for now and just work with the tracker, you already have, and try to develop a feel based approach to the game.

You have questions about this hand, which in my opinion almost play itself. To me this indicate that simply getting more experience will help you a lot. After 100.000 hands, you will have seen spots like this so often, that you no longer worry about them. Best of luck at the tables :)

L

luser94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars offer auto top-up, which I personally always use. In that way you are also not distracted from the game by having to do it manually.

As for courses I am not sure, you really need that many to beat 5NL. Most players at this limit is beginners, so a simple exploitative TAG approach is generally more than enough.

And there is a danger, that you just end up leveling yourself, if you read to much advanced theory. So I would save my money for now and just work with the tracker, you already have, and try to develop a feel based approach to the game.

You have questions about this hand, which in my opinion almost play itself. To me this indicate that simply getting more experience will help you a lot. After 100.000 hands, you will have seen spots like this so often, that you no longer worry about them. Best of luck at the tables :)

Thanks for advice, i really appreciate.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning more advanced concepts should not be considered a problem, however yes should be considered a problem, the fact that we cannot get rid of them and believe that basic or advanced concepts can be applied at any table. That is not so, since each table is unique. In turn, each player has a variable behavior, that result from the combination of different factors, such as strategic, adaptive, animic, social, etc.
I agree that an exploitative TAG approach, is an excellent option for this stake.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands