€5 NLHE 6-max: Was I being too passive with TPGK ?

E

Elthirius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I think I played this hand way too passively. How would you have played differently ?

Preflop, I'm quite happy to pay a low price. No aggressive player behind so I'm quite certain to see a flop without being 3 bet.

Flop, I get top pair with a great kicker. Villain is raising 75%, but with my hand I think it's to fold her. I thought a lot about raising to "find pout where I was standing" but I had position so I just flatted.

Turn and river I thought I might have the best hand so I just flat both.

During this hand I thought the hands that beat me were outside Villain range. Having flat a min raise pre flop I assigned him a capped range.

So I couldn't see how he could have AA/KK/QQ/AQ, with which he would have raised pre (at least I would have). 44/88 were int his range, but both became less probable with the turn and river. There was the possible A4/A8 but he probably would have bet less than 3/4 on the flop 4 ways.

Finally the hand which best made sense with his line was Q8.

If I had to play this hand again I think i would raise the flop and fold to a reraise, or check/fold on later street if he flat.

And being at the micro stake level I think that I should have fold the 3rd barrel, which is rarely a bluff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - €0.02/€0.05 - 6 players

UTG: €6.61 (132 bb)
MP: €5.00 (100 bb)
CO: €5.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): €8.80 (176 bb)
SB: €5.02 (100 bb)
BB: €2.51 (50 bb)

Pre-Flop: (€0.07) Hero is BTN with K Q
UTG raises to €0.10, 1 fold, CO calls €0.10, Hero calls €0.10, 1 fold, BB calls €0.05

Flop: (€0.42) 4 8 Q (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO bets €0.30, Hero calls €0.30, BB folds, UTG calls €0.30

Turn: (€1.32) 4 (3 players)
UTG checks, CO bets €0.97, Hero calls €0.97, UTG folds

River: (€3.26) 8 (2 players)
CO bets €1.59, Hero calls €1.59

Total pot: €6.44 (Rake: €0.39)

Showdown:
CO shows Q A (two pair, Queens and Eights - higher kicker)
BU (Hero) mucks K Q (two pair, Queens and Eights)

CO wins €6.05

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would 3bet pre, for multiple fuzzy reasons the most important I guess is that KQo is not that strong against utg range, but as well utg sizing is saying fish or weak, also squeeze in general should be ok play with wide range. If co reads utg fish/weak his range could be around 35% and he ends up folding a lot. And if we end up seeing the flop we still have the position and that should make it somewhat easily a profitable spot.

I don’t see why raising would be good at any point post with showdown value hand. That said villain 3 barreled on a board with no obvious draws, so I would be really worried on the river. I guess we need in principle to call it given 2 pairs on the board is a source of funny plays, but to be quite honest folding probably wins a bit more in my mind.

When you say villain is raising 75% on the flop, do you mean he is continuous betting 75% of time? If so, it’s not that high number for typical reg player on the limit to warrant any extreme value lines with made hand imo.

Last edited:
M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your hand is a bluff catcher on the river, the main problem is there aren't really any missed draws. I would fold the river, he is repping sets/boats most of the time- he overplayed TPTK this time, but that is the very bottom of his range in this spot.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold the turn. Dude bet into 4, then three players. He is not bluffing, and he is quite confident in his hand. TPGK is a really good second best hand.

Squeezing pre is okay if you have a read, but shouldn't be standard.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet pre, raise the turn. it was a bad beat :(

pabloT

pabloT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
simply, there is no escape from it ..

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Fear

Hello,

I think I played this hand way too passively. How would you have played differently ?

Preflop, I'm quite happy to pay a low price. No aggressive player behind so I'm quite certain to see a flop without being 3 bet.

Flop, I get top pair with a great kicker. Villain is raising 75%, but with my hand I think it's to fold her. I thought a lot about raising to "find pout where I was standing" but I had position so I just flatted.

Turn and river I thought I might have the best hand so I just flat both.

During this hand I thought the hands that beat me were outside Villain range. Having flat a min raise pre flop I assigned him a capped range.

So I couldn't see how he could have AA/KK/QQ/AQ, with which he would have raised pre (at least I would have). 44/88 were int his range, but both became less probable with the turn and river. There was the possible A4/A8 but he probably would have bet less than 3/4 on the flop 4 ways.

Finally the hand which best made sense with his line was Q8.

If I had to play this hand again I think i would raise the flop and fold to a reraise, or check/fold on later street if he flat.

And being at the micro stake level I think that I should have fold the 3rd barrel, which is rarely a bluff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - €0.02/€0.05 - 6 players

UTG: €6.61 (132 bb)
MP: €5.00 (100 bb)
CO: €5.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): €8.80 (176 bb)
SB: €5.02 (100 bb)
BB: €2.51 (50 bb)

Pre-Flop: (€0.07) Hero is BTN with K Q
UTG raises to €0.10, 1 fold, CO calls €0.10, Hero calls €0.10, 1 fold, BB calls €0.05

Flop: (€0.42) 4 8 Q (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO bets €0.30, Hero calls €0.30, BB folds, UTG calls €0.30

Turn: (€1.32) 4 (3 players)
UTG checks, CO bets €0.97, Hero calls €0.97, UTG folds

River: (€3.26) 8 (2 players)
CO bets €1.59, Hero calls €1.59

Total pot: €6.44 (Rake: €0.39)

Showdown:
CO shows Q A (two pair, Queens and Eights - higher kicker)
BU (Hero) mucks K Q (two pair, Queens and Eights)

CO wins €6.05

Thanks for posting.

The key to this hand is the villain did not fear betting on the river. The 4 pairs the 8 pairs and the villain keeps betting big. There are no draws so you calling means you have a 4 a 8 or a Q but the villain keeps betting.
Most players in your spot fold JJ or worse on the turn but you call and the villain keeps betting.
Unless the villain is a maniac you have to fold the river. It is low stakes so villain betting turn with QsJs or Qs10s is possible maybe even KQ but no fear with those hands when the 8 hits the river not likely.

So calling the turn is fine. To call the river we have to know the villain would try to bluff us off a Q. In low stakes no one folds a Q, you did not.

Hope this helps.

:):)

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on UTG opening range, I may squeeze preflop with KQo or fold.

River it is 100% exploitative fold, don't see villain would bluff with that river bet sizing.

CO versus standard HJ open, I think AQo is strong enough to be in villain pre flop calling ranges.