$5 NLHE 6-max: Good River Call?

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 38/13/1

Hello there! This is my first Hand Analysis Post... So... Please, be patient with me if I did it incorrectly:D

Below you'll see what I exported from my HUD Datebase. My concerns about this hand is:

1. Was I correctly agressive?
2. Should I fold in River?

I bet in Flop bluffing the A because the villain was did not Raise in PF. Then, I call in River because I thought he was bluffing and I got Q.

Please let me know anything that will make me better player or forum member :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
BTN ($5.66) [VPIP: 50% | PFR: 50% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | hands: 4]
SB ($11.67) [VPIP: 33.3% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 100% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 3]
BB ($4.93) [VPIP: 37.5% | PFR: 12.5% | AGG: 25% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 8]
UTG ($3.50) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 1]
HJ ($8.84) [VPIP: 100% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 33.3% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 1]
HERO ($12.67) [VPIP: 22.2% | PFR: 14.8% | AGG: 42.7% | 3-Bet: 4.7% | Hands: 3773]

Dealt to Hero: Q:diamond: T:spade:

UTG Folds, HJ Calls $0.05, HERO Raises To $0.15, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, HJ Calls $0.10

Hero SPR on Flop: [23.49 effective]
Flop ($0.37): 4:diamond: 6:club: A:heart:
HJ Checks, HERO Bets $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 12.17), HJ Calls $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 8.34)

Turn ($1.07): 4:diamond: 6:club: A:heart: 3:diamond:
HJ Checks, HERO Checks

River ($1.07): 4:diamond: 6:club: A:heart: 3:diamond: Q:spade:
HJ Bets $0.50 (Rem. Stack: 7.84), HERO Calls $0.50 (Rem. Stack: 11.67)

HJ shows: J:club: A:spade:

HJ wins: $1.98

G

GoTigersGo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop I think is fine. QTo is probably near the bottom of your preflop raising range, but it is fine to be raising that hand there from the CO.

On the flop, I prefer to check back a large portion of my range, and when I do cbet I'm using a smaller sizing. Your nearly pot size bet is larger than necessary as a much smaller sizing will fold out most villain's range if he missed, especially on such a dry board with virtually no draws. As played, once he calls that bet, I'm 99% certain he has an ace. Player populations love to limp call weaker Ax holdings preflop.

When the turn goes check/check, villain is quite confident he has the best hand if he has an ace.

What hands are you beating on the river? I don't really see what hands the villain can have as a bluff on the river once he calls the flop bet.

I think the big mistake in this hand is the flop c-bet. I'm checking it back. Villain is likely going to bet the turn, and you can comfortably fold.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over all pre flop and flop play was fine. Maybe raise bigger pre flop, and look to at least have that hand be suited to give you some more nut potential.

River call, you are usually beat there, but vs some players you can bluff catch.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If people limp the standard raisesize should be you're normal open + 1bb for every limper. So in this case 2.5+1 or 3+1. If you still find them calling you to much add 1bb until they don't. I like the idea of Isolating the limper IP but keep in mind you got to play you're QTo carefully, as it's not a very strong holding.

Flopbet is WAY to big on that board. I mean were are probably playing a fish, but With you're preflopaction you are telling the story of a very Ax heavy range and that board smashes you're range. Even a weaker player should notice. Would you pot an Ace on such a dry board? Let's imagine for a second you had AK. How likely is it that our opponent is also holding an Ace? Very unlikely. And Even KK will have a hard time calling there. So what are you trying to get value from?

After that call on the flop I'm folding to a minbet essentially. He said right there I don't care if you have an A, I have one. -> River is a huge overcall.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop I think is fine. QTo is probably near the bottom of your preflop raising range, but it is fine to be raising that hand there from the CO.

On the flop, I prefer to check back a large portion of my range, and when I do cbet I'm using a smaller sizing. Your nearly pot size bet is larger than necessary as a much smaller sizing will fold out most villain's range if he missed, especially on such a dry board with virtually no draws. As played, once he calls that bet, I'm 99% certain he has an ace. Player populations love to limp call weaker Ax holdings preflop.

When the turn goes check/check, villain is quite confident he has the best hand if he has an ace.

What hands are you beating on the river? I don't really see what hands the villain can have as a bluff on the river once he calls the flop bet.

I think the big mistake in this hand is the flop c-bet. I'm checking it back. Villain is likely going to bet the turn, and you can comfortably fold.

Thanks for your advice, GoTigerGo! I read all post so far and I think that is true you all said: my flop bet was correct but very high. In future, I'll C-bet 3 BB in these cases.

For me, the villain was a fishy caller, because play passively AJo, and never defender a good top pair (C-C-X-B). And the only reason I called in R was because I was sure he was bluffing on river (these callers do that) and I got Q. I though he was underpaired with some pair on board or a little pocket pairs (based in his VPIP, PFR and range so far)

Over all pre flop and flop play was fine. Maybe raise bigger pre flop, and look to at least have that hand be suited to give you some more nut potential.

River call, you are usually beat there, but vs some players you can bluff catch.

Yes, GWU73, my concern to not play over-aggressive is because the villain has to big VPIP and PFR (and range), so, I don't want to put a big pot against someone that is not likely to fold after F (like he did).

Your call is rigth,put a note on him that limp Ajo and you will know how to play him next time.

Thanks, freddydr87! I did it. I felt that call as right. But as I said, I would played better if I C-bet smaller in F, as others advice me.

If people limp the standard raisesize should be you're normal open + 1bb for every limper. So in this case 2.5+1 or 3+1. If you still find them calling you to much add 1bb until they don't. I like the idea of Isolating the limper IP but keep in mind you got to play you're QTo carefully, as it's not a very strong holding.

Flopbet is WAY to big on that board. I mean were are probably playing a fish, but With you're preflopaction you are telling the story of a very Ax heavy range and that board smashes you're range. Even a weaker player should notice. Would you pot an Ace on such a dry board? Let's imagine for a second you had AK. How likely is it that our opponent is also holding an Ace? Very unlikely. And Even KK will have a hard time calling there. So what are you trying to get value from?

After that call on the flop I'm folding to a minbet essentially. He said right there I don't care if you have an A, I have one. -> River is a huge overcall.

Wow, your arguments are very good, Luepso. Thanks! Yes, I admit that my F bet was very high. I was trying to tell to villain I have a very good A (due to my PFR, range and C-Bet) but he called. Now, I thought he called with underpaired hands to my further Q in R and was making a bluff with the A in F and Q in river. Please, tell me why do you discard the bluff so easily? He just passively, and bet in R, that's not a lot of info, I think.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 38/13/1

Hello there! This is my first Hand Analysis Post... So... Please, be patient with me if I did it incorrectly:D

Below you'll see what I exported from my HUD Datebase. My concerns about this hand is:

1. Was I correctly agressive?
2. Should I fold in River?

I bet in Flop bluffing the A because the villain was did not Raise in PF. Then, I call in River because I thought he was bluffing and I got Q.

Please let me know anything that will make me better player or forum member :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
BTN ($5.66) [VPIP: 50% | PFR: 50% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 4]
SB ($11.67) [VPIP: 33.3% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 100% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 3]
BB ($4.93) [VPIP: 37.5% | PFR: 12.5% | AGG: 25% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 8]
UTG ($3.50) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 1]
HJ ($8.84) [VPIP: 100% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 33.3% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 1]
HERO ($12.67) [VPIP: 22.2% | PFR: 14.8% | AGG: 42.7% | 3-Bet: 4.7% | Hands: 3773]

Dealt to Hero: Q T

UTG Folds, HJ Calls $0.05, HERO Raises To $0.15, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, HJ Calls $0.10

Hero SPR on Flop: [23.49 effective]
Flop ($0.37): 4 6 A
HJ Checks, HERO Bets $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 12.17), HJ Calls $0.35 (Rem. Stack: 8.34)

Turn ($1.07): 4 6 A 3
HJ Checks, HERO Checks

River ($1.07): 4 6 A 3 Q
HJ Bets $0.50 (Rem. Stack: 7.84), HERO Calls $0.50 (Rem. Stack: 11.67)

HJ shows: J A

HJ wins: $1.98

Hello there OmarRD7 good morning and welcome to the CardsChat community! I am also a newbie, but I love poker and I am always around here making poor comments. I hope you do not offend yourself because I like to be very sincere on my feedbacks. However, I will always praise respect to other players and students.
We are not fighting here, we are a community trying to help one another. Happy new year and happy holidays for your family and friends!

Preflop:

I like when we raise limpers out of position. However your sizing should be bigger as mentioned by other good players here in the forum. Your size should be something as 4x raise, so we do not give excellent odds for our opponents to continue with their trashes.
A fold with QJo and similar combos (25-30% of times) also would be fine.

Flop:

I don't like very much our C-Bet flop here. Why are we C-betting here, because we have position over a recreational?Okay, but why do we bet?

A) We bet for value: when we believe we have the best hand and we believe we are going to be paid by worse.

B) We bet for bluff: when we believe we have nothing or marginal hands and we believe we can make better hands to fold

I believe it is not enough to put chips in the middle, just because we thought Villain X could Fold. (Villains don't fold too much at the micros).
Furthermore, our C-bet is very, very huge size: (Pot = 7.4 blinds /Our C-bet = 7 blinds).
So, why are we betting this Flop at all? And why such a big sizing? Almost 100% pot. Which value hands we use to bet this strong in a Flop texture like it?
We are betting this Flop having just two overcards with a runner-runner straight. IF we had suited combos with a back door flush we could C-bet with a little higher frequency, however, with a lower size. Something like 1/3 to 1/2 it is more than enough.
1/2 Pot would do the work just fine in a spot like that. But the Check is even better.
Personally, I elect to bluff not because I raised preflop, not because I have any ideias about the villain, I elect to bluff when I have equity for so doing. Our equity in a situation like that sucks for a bluff.
I saw that we check Turn and Call river. Why do we call river? Because we have "A Queen and Villain gave a good price?". Yes, that's what good player tend to do, they give us a good price so we can pay with losing hands and be beated. (not saying that HJ is a good player, but even recreational can have insights and play good sometimes).
My line here will be simply raising 4x Preflop and checking a lot flops like this. I would c-betting here when I got some equity, such as gutter, OESD, Flush Draw, because even when we hit a Qx or a Jx in this board we never know if we are ahead. Maybe, if we got a Qx or a Jx in the flop we could C-bet, but even so, we don't know who our adversary is.
I didn't see the hole cards of Villain. But it doesn't matter for us, we are not looking for results and oriented by them, we are simply trying to work with incomplete information and do our best, given scenarios.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your call is good in this situation.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello there OmarRD7 good morning and welcome to the CardsChat community! I am also a newbie, but I love poker and I am always around here making poor comments. I hope you do not offend yourself because I like to be very sincere on my feedbacks. However, I will always praise respect to other players and students.
We are not fighting here, we are a community trying to help one another. Happy new year and happy holidays for your family and friends!

Preflop:

I like when we raise limpers out of position. However your sizing should be bigger as mentioned by other good players here in the forum. Your size should be something as 4x raise, so we do not give excellent odds for our opponents to continue with their trashes.
A fold with QJo and similar combos (25-30% of times) also would be fine.

Flop:

I don't like very much our C-Bet flop here. Why are we C-betting here, because we have position over a recreational?Okay, but why do we bet?

A) We bet for value: when we believe we have the best hand and we believe we are going to be paid by worse.

B) We bet for bluff: when we believe we have nothing or marginal hands and we believe we can make better hands to fold

I believe it is not enough to put chips in the middle, just because we thought Villain X could Fold. (Villains don't fold too much at the micros).
Furthermore, our C-bet is very, very huge size: (Pot = 7.4 blinds /Our C-bet = 7 blinds).
So, why are we betting this Flop at all? And why such a big sizing? Almost 100% pot. Which value hands we use to bet this strong in a Flop texture like it?
We are betting this Flop having just two overcards with a runner-runner straight. IF we had suited combos with a back door flush we could C-bet with a little higher frequency, however, with a lower size. Something like 1/3 to 1/2 it is more than enough.
1/2 Pot would do the work just fine in a spot like that. But the Check is even better.
Personally, I elect to bluff not because I raised preflop, not because I have any ideias about the villain, I elect to bluff when I have equity for so doing. Our equity in a situation like that sucks for a bluff.
I saw that we check Turn and Call river. Why do we call river? Because we have "A Queen and Villain gave a good price?". Yes, that's what good player tend to do, they give us a good price so we can pay with losing hands and be beated. (not saying that HJ is a good player, but even recreational can have insights and play good sometimes).
My line here will be simply raising 4x Preflop and checking a lot flops like this. I would c-betting here when I got some equity, such as gutter, OESD, Flush Draw, because even when we hit a Qx or a Jx in this board we never know if we are ahead. Maybe, if we got a Qx or a Jx in the flop we could C-bet, but even so, we don't know who our adversary is.
I didn't see the hole cards of Villain. But it doesn't matter for us, we are not looking for results and oriented by them, we are simply trying to work with incomplete information and do our best, given scenarios.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Hi there, Aballinamion! Thanks for take your time for help me to be better player.

I'll very concise with my reply. As I said in other replies, I thought that Cbet (oversized I admit) will make him fold. It wasn't about equity, instead of a limper very bad player that very often play flopper and scared of A. But, yes, it was a realy big C-Bet, and a very loose call in R. I thought that the villain just was bluffing very poorly a underpair (due to his passivity in all streets.

But, I really appreciate your opinion, and I'll size better my C-Bet, and be wiser calls in R. :flute:

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your opponent is either value betting w/ a weak Ace, or making a blocking bet. A bluff is highly unlikely.
River is close. I'd lean towards a fold even though you're getting 3:1 simply because if they were going to turn 6x or something else into a bluff, I think they'd be betting larger once you check the turn. A blocking bet w/ 6x or 4x doesn't make much sense, but could happen if the player is bad (this is the main argument for a call). There's no real straight of flush draws that are significant. 57 got there. At these stakes it's likely a marginal fold w/ no info, but very close.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your opponent is either value betting w/ a weak Ace, or making a blocking bet. A bluff is highly unlikely.
River is close. I'd lean towards a fold even though you're getting 3:1 simply because if they were going to turn 6x or something else into a bluff, I think they'd be betting larger once you check the turn. A blocking bet w/ 6x or 4x doesn't make much sense, but could happen if the player is bad (this is the main argument for a call). There's no real straight of flush draws that are significant. 57 got there. At these stakes it's likely a marginal fold w/ no info, but very close.

Hey, John! Thanks for your time and reply. It's very concise but informative! :D So, let me see if I understand what you said... you say that a river bluff from the villain is very unlikely because he made a small bet in R. So, a very loose and passive villain like he, makes bigger bets in R in order to makes us fold?